Alarm system for shop

Reaction score
What are you going to use the wire for? That wire is good for wiring the power supply and sirens. It's overkill for standard door/windows contacts, keypads and motion sensors. you can use 22/4 for those.

Anything fire related (wired smoke or heat detector) should use 18/2 or 18/4 red fire alarm rated wire.

Cammer

n3wb
Reaction score
Does it make a difference if it is solid/stranded COPPER vs CCA Copper Clad Aluminum wire?

I figured if I have to run wire, I might as well have a the heavy gauge wire. I read 22 gauge can get too thin and fragile. I guess I'll order some 20gauge as a happy medium to satisfy minimum requirements and added strength/integrity and then just get a shorter length 18/2 for the siren. Is the Copper Clad Aluminum Chinese wire from ebay appropriate or do you know of a better source/wire?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check craigslist with search terms like: cable, wire, cat-6, cat-5, cat-5e, cat5, cat6, cctv, 22/4, 22-4.
Searching for alarm or security will turn up thousands of cars, if you filter those out there may be something with those search terms too.

Ethernet wire isn't great for alarms, but if somebody's selling a bunch of it they may have alarm wire too. Some alarm panels have notes about using twisted pair wire like cat-5 and how it shortens the maximum length you can run the wire (due to the capacitance introduced by the twists).

Honestly 22-4 is fine, just don't yank on it too hard or bend it too sharply. Say no to CCA. Solid is more common, but both work. Stranded can be trickier to terminate.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Some states or local codes require solid cable for fire systems, you may want to try and check where you are located.

Cammer

n3wb
Reaction score
Been busy with other project and alarm system went on the back-burner. I have a vista 20p panel, envisalink4, and a Honeywell 6162rf keypad sitting in boxes. I will order Honeywell Genesis 11041101 22/4 Stranded Unshielded Cable, White 1000' for the KEYPAD and SENSORS. I'll put in a 2 wire detector on ZONE one as suggested with wireless heat sensors in the garage. I have a 3bdrm 1500sqft house with a full finished walkout basement. I was going to put both upstairs and downstairs detectors on zone 1.

Don't the smoke/fire detectors need to be wired with 18/2 SOLID (not stranded) wire? I plan to buy some 18 wire at the same time as I order the 22/4 and I was hoping to use the same spool of 18 wire on the smoke/fire detectors as I do the Siren(s).

The keypad will be the wireless receiver for any wireless sensors I use. It also came with several KEY FOBS. Where should I place this KEYPAD? It will be used to program the system and then arm and disarm via the KEY FOBS. Should this keypad be hidden with the alarm panel/place high in a central location in the attic or ceiling of basement? Will I need other keypads? Should this 6162rf be located upstairs in the common area? (I have open floor plan with entryway, living, dinning, kitchen all in the same room)

What door sensors are suggested, I would like ones that get drilled into the frame and hidden. I have a lot of windows and 3 sliding glass doors so I am going to depend on motion sensors a lot for starters ... which wired motion sensors are recommend? The more research I did on motion sensors, the less I liked them with all the "false detection" stuff that makes them less sensitive.... I would rather a more sensitive sensor, I have NO PETS.... so... anything that MOVES in the house needs to get picked up system is armed and in "away" status.

Thanks Again

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been busy with other project and alarm system went on the back-burner. I have a vista 20p panel, envisalink4, and a Honeywell 6162rf keypad sitting in boxes. I will order Honeywell Genesis 11041101 22/4 Stranded Unshielded Cable, White 1000' for the KEYPAD and SENSORS. I'll put in a 2 wire detector on ZONE one as suggested with wireless heat sensors in the garage. I have a 3bdrm 1500sqft house with a full finished walkout basement. I was going to put both upstairs and downstairs detectors on zone 1.

Don't the smoke/fire detectors need to be wired with 18/2 SOLID (not stranded) wire? I plan to buy some 18 wire at the same time as I order the 22/4 and I was hoping to use the same spool of 18 wire on the smoke/fire detectors as I do the Siren(s).

The keypad will be the wireless receiver for any wireless sensors I use. It also came with several KEY FOBS. Where should I place this KEYPAD? It will be used to program the system and then arm and disarm via the KEY FOBS. Should this keypad be hidden with the alarm panel/place high in a central location in the attic or ceiling of basement? Will I need other keypads? Should this 6162rf be located upstairs in the common area? (I have open floor plan with entryway, living, dinning, kitchen all in the same room)

What door sensors are suggested, I would like ones that get drilled into the frame and hidden. I have a lot of windows and 3 sliding glass doors so I am going to depend on motion sensors a lot for starters ... which wired motion sensors are recommend? The more research I did on motion sensors, the less I liked them with all the "false detection" stuff that makes them less sensitive.... I would rather a more sensitive sensor, I have NO PETS.... so... anything that MOVES in the house needs to get picked up system is armed and in "away" status.

Thanks Again
I'd choose solid over stranded, it also costs less than 22-4 stranded.

As for the smoke detectors, if this is residential and a supplement to line powered smoke detectors you don't need to be too worried. The length of the wire and number of detectors will determine what gauge wire works. If this was commercial then you've have to worry about the UL standards and silly things like mandates that the wire be red in some locals.

MaryChong

n3wb
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking to install an alarm system in his shop building and asked me what a good DIY brand to go with

It a two car garage shop with one door and windows but he would like to to be able to send him an email when something trigger it.

I believe we should aviod touch screen keypad as well too since he work with greasy hands but can be disarm using phone app if needs etc.

Any brand recommendation? Or a alarm website to purchase from with good support if needed?

Thank you
Bill
Well, you should go for a alarm system with cameras and sensors.
Here is one that might be suitable: Reolink ADK8-20B4 1080p Video Smart Alarm System – Reolink Store

This alarm system includes 4 cameras, 3 door/window sensors, 2 PIR sensors and 3 key fobs. I think it is really helpful!

Reaction score

Thanks Again
You should place the keypad where it is convenient for you to arm/disarm the system and or to view system status (you can always add more keypads if needed). I would not hide the keypad in the attic or in the ceiling. The only thing that needs to be hidden/secured is the control panel/communicator.

Are the door sensors going to be hardwired or wireless? You're looking for recessed door contacts. Honeywell 951WG is a hardwired recessed door contact and the Honeywell 5818MNL is the wireless recessed door contact.

I recommend the Honeywell DT8035 motion detector. This detector is Dual Tech which makes it less likely to false alarm (this will not make it less sensitive to detecting an intruder). The DT8035 is also pet immune, however you can turn that feature off with a dip switch and adjust the sensitivity to your liking. However, I strongly suggest you follow the manufacture instructions when mounting the detector and adjusting the sensitivity for your application (Motion detectors have to be mounted at a certain height etc).

Reaction score

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best wireless system I use and install is the 2GIG system. Second to that would be the wireless Ademco Vista 20P. Both are great reliable systems depending on if you want a can system or all in one.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Feel free to contact me for your security system needs. I am an authorized Alarm.com dealer.