Alerts not working after upgrade to V5.5.0

Si1986

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2CD2542FWD connected to a 7604NI NVR. Today I've upgraded the camera from V5.4.3 to V5.5.0. Everything was working apart from false notifications from switching to night mode which I hoped an update would solve...

Now there are no notifications working at all. I've noticed that this version introduced Min / Max settings which I have been playing around with all day in the Intrustion Detection section (the bit I use) but it just refuses to send emails or iOS push notifications. I've messed around with settings on the NVR and the camera interface - there are now missing settings on the NVR - Percentage is greyed out under Intrusion Detection.

I updated the NVR to the latest version hoping this would be the answer but it wasn't so I'm a bit stuck now.

I've done some searching on here regarding V5.5 and can see a lot of users have had problems with it. I should have checked here first! I've tried to downgrade but I've learned Hikvision have disabled this. I've sent an email to Hikvision but I'm not very confident and wondering if anyone here has some advice :)

Si1986

n3wb
Reaction score

Si1986

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah OK. I see I have to use TFTP. OK, I'll give this a try, just went through disconnecting my camera from the NVR and plugging it into my switch. Forgot it's not a PoE switch -_-. So that's my next mission I guess, grab a PoE switch so I can run TFTP and downgrade 5.5.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah OK. I see I have to use TFTP.
Try the web GUI first - it depends on the level of validation detail that the 5.5.0 firmware gets down to. I only briefly looked at the 5.5.0 firmware so don't know it much.
just went through disconnecting my camera from the NVR and plugging it into my switch.
Do you have a 12v DC power adaptor?
Alternatively, slightly risky if other Hikvision devices decide to reboot while you are doing this, but connecting the PC to an unused PoE port on the NVR should work OK.

Si1986

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey. I gave the web GUI a try last night but it didn't like it. "Version mismatch" or something the error was so I think it's spotted that I'm trying to downgrade.

After that I went and purchased a PoE injector off eBay. I'm sure I have a 12v adapter somewhere - if it comes down to it I'll have to explore this route but the camera is up in the roof soffit so would be a pain. I thought about using the NVR but was worried it would somehow end up "forcing" the update onto the NVR. I don't know what security TFTP has in place to make sure it's not sending the wrong firmware to the wrong device. BUT, after reading what you said and thinking about it a bit more, this shouldn't happen since I'm not connecting to the LAN port of the NVR. Also I see TFTP only sends an update to a booting device.

I only have 2 cameras in my setup so I could just unplug the working one and keep it unplugged for the duration of the update (downgrade) while connecting my PC to my NVR like you suggested.

I'll try when I get home from work later today.

Si1986

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on this. Successfully managed to rollback the firmware from 5.5.0 to 5.4.5 using TFTP. Alerts were still not working in this release and there were discrepancies between features available on the camera and what could be edited by the NVR which never existed in 5.4.3.

So I rolled back again to 5.4.3 (through the web GUI) which was my original version before upgrading a few days ago. And now everything is working again! Both iOS push notifications and emails.

Major lesson learned. I did this update hoping it would fix the false alerts I sometimes get when the cameras switch to night mode. I honestly don't care now and am glad to welcome them back after the pain that 5.5.0 was which just broke everything. No thanks to Hikvision who have been zero help whatsoever, both with their useless support and locking cameras to a firmware version once upgraded.

Major thanks to alastairstevenson. And OddMorning for this gem - Hikvision IPC Firmware 5.5.0 - released 24 Sept 2017

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So I rolled back again to 5.4.3 (through the web GUI) which was my original version before upgrading a few days ago. And now everything is working again!
That's a brilliant result.
And well done for sticking your neck out and trying it, and sharing for the benefit of others.