AliExpress ONVIF Camera issue

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. First post.
have background with Hikvision cameras, working with Synology Surveillance Station for years. Recently a HiKvision camera with 16MM fixed lens died, and I found that all MFG’s stopped selling 16MM Fixed lens cameras. Eventually found 2 different types (5MP 2K, and 8MP 4K), Generic ONVIF Cameras with 16MM fixed lens, at AliExpress. Bought in July and tested them inside house (worked fine) before I moved them outside.
When outside there I discovered the manual settings worked, but automatic exposure did not have enough range in bright sunlight. A HiKvision camera beside it looks good. !!

This is just a post to indicate how we got there, and a brief description of the problem. I’ll post what information I have and screenshots starting tomorrow (all of them On a computer downstairs).
PS: I am in the early stages of communication with the seller, in China, but I wanted to see if anyone has found a fix for this. Edit: Seller just replied that he can’t help!

I will post much more tomorrow
PS: They work nicely with Synology Surveillance Station.
Jan

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
OK Here we go...
First: Here is he English manual both cameras came with:
I'm used to logging into camera with HTTP :/ Camera IP....
When I did so, I saw This:
C1 C2 IP access.jpgManual.jpg

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
So I downloaded the data that allows me to access camera...(VIA HTTP :/ IP camera). Set it up in computer room and it woked... But when Both were placed outside they were overloaded..... by outside light.. BOTH CAMERAS
(Now again, a HikVision camera beside these 2 still looks fine!)
Since manual for these settings was not supplied or linked to, spent weeks getting a happy medium in the settings....
Here is what both looked like outside (Disregard the resolution error (3840x2160) it's an error in DS CAM cam info display, Resolution is really 4096x2160)C1 White Clip.jpegC2 white clip.jpeg

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Now in depth discussion of the settings....
Exposure Mode: In Manual, I can get ANY LIGHT LEVEL to work, but it will not work all day and night.... Light Levels change! So I use AUTOMATIC..
When Automatic Is selected Minimum Time and Maximum Time is added..... These would seem to be exposure settings....DEFAULT VALUES SHOWN, but no data of any
Amount to range has ANY Effect on AUTOMATIC...
AE REFERENCE However, DOES affect the exposure.... However, it changes Night as well as day... Setting there is optimal for night, This Adjustment too low makes night video go black during nighttime

FRONT END COMMAND would seem to be a way of altering the settings, but of course i have no information of how-to........ ?
C1 Param.jpg

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
So I contacted AliExpress chat, and was a bit surprised when they agreed with me on this.... They said they would send an email to support of the Seller of camera to them...
They DID!... A few emails later, after providing all information I've included above, and then the AliExpress purchase info
He then said he had no idea how I got his email, as he is not the seller.... I reminded him AliExpress contacted him, and he say that is not his camera, and cannot help...

AliExpress cannot link me to any manual, nor firmware. I do believe the answer is in the MIN and MAX of Automatic, but no data of any type there causes any change in video of any type...

I'm hoping someone smarter than I can offer suggestions.... Or point me to another thread or site covering this type of thing... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR POST! Jan

I'm hoping someone would have a suggestion for this.... Thanks for readingIMG_7280.jpg

Last edited:

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your image is too bright, appears that the camera "lets too much light in" at daytime. If we assume that the automatic exposure setting you have are a range of milliseconds, that would equal approximate shutter speeds of 1/4000 to 1/15 (1000ms/4000=0.25ms and 1000ms/15=66,6ms) 1/4000 is too bright for direct sunlight. Try setting that first value to 0.1 or even 0.05 (will translate to 1/10000 or 1/20000 shutter speed.

I do not have any experience with these cameras, but often you will have to "save" or reload the page after doing changes before the camera will take the new settings.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I agree—that’s what I’m trying to fix! I do remember trying random numbers (with save) quite un-successfully. I did not have a manual with which to refer to n
please indicate what you would suggest for min & max and I’ll be quite happy to try them. Thanks Jan

I saw your post will try later today

Last edited:

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
0.1 or 0.05 or even 0 if that works for min and what it is for max. Ideally max should be 10 or 20ms but with cheaper cams like these that will result in a very dark picture in night conditions

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
OK Tried what you said.. When that did nothing, tried .001, .01.5, 1, 5, 10 in both locations.....
Then tried in conjunction with other switches,

NOTHING affects the lower or higher level of the settings...
BUT Manual all works...
So it must be something to do with the Automatic Setting.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
"AUTOMATIC", based upon what I'm seeing in Manual....

Automatic is 'stuck' at 1/120 of a second!!!

Is there something that can be sent via the "Front End Command"

or, is there a setting that negates automatic?

it seems real strange that 2 cameras would have same issue.

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Both cameras are stuck at 1/120th of a second in Automatic Exposure modes.
AliExpress was approached a second time. They say I have to work with Seller. Seller says it’s not his camera.
AliExpress refuses to approach seller, but sees the issue, and agrees something is not right!

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have e you done anything with AE reference and AE sensitivity?
To me AE means automatic exposure.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
So you mean try manual and the switches? Ok, I’ll try it, but if I need 1/1000th for bright light of day, how is the dark of night going to work? Isn’t that the reason for AUTO (when & if it works?)

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
OK set both cameras to 1/500th of a second MANUAL, and then tried all switches.... Not a one of the switches affect MANUAL

Switched both back to AUTO, and only AE Reference has any affect on AUTO....

So, leaving both set at 1/500th and we'll see what nighttime has to see....

Next.... Verified I had the latest ONFIV Device Manager, and ran that.... Looking at both cameras.... NEITHER CAMERA's Video Parameters can be adjusted by LATEST ONFIV Device Manager!

I'm now beginning to wonder about the software I had to load, in order to HTTP :/ Camera IP..... See attached picture.... Maybe that's what preventing me from controlling switches and settings properly?

Has anybody heard of the software the picture is talking about.... or their website? Maybe there is an upgrade for that?
AS USUAL Thanks for any reply!C1 C2 IP access.jpg

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
AE reference Acts like a video gain control in AUTO

There appears to be no gain control in manual.
Tonight will tell

Last edited: