AliExpress ONVIF Camera issue

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
After numerous attempts with the settings, Neither of the 2 cameras: 2K & 4K units are fully operational.
The custom driver that has to be loaded to http :/ Camera IP, or the way the interface is done: all trims to selections and many settings in general are inoperative. No manual on the camera Parameters is available, nor is firmware or http driver for either camera: 2K or 4K.

I followed AliExpress’s direction and worked with ‘Seller’ to resolve the issues, who asked questions and requested Screenshots, for a week then said it’s not his Cameras, go back and discuss with AliExpress, who then said I had waited too long to open a dispute.

Stuck in endless loop between AilExpress saying refund has to come from seller, and Seller who AliExpress says is Seller, who says it’s not his camera, and AliExpress should issue refund.

Paypal (who paid AliExpress) would prefer to have me work with AliExpress, though they say they are considering stepping in-in 5 days, though they never did.

CC company who pays Paypal says unless I can provide tracking that cameras went back, they cannot refund. When I explained I never received an address, I was given $25 credit ‘for my efforts’.

All because a HiKvision camera with 16MM lens died, and only place that now sells 16MM fixed Lens units is AliExpress!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For others finding this thread later looking to cheap out on a camera, it is a cautionary tale on buying from unknown sources.

As mentioned, all this time and effort and potentially wasted money could be avoided by purchasing a reputable varifocal from a known reputable dealer and not some unknown on AliExpress. With the varifocal you could dial it in to your exact needs.

Or buy the largest fixed lens you can find and replace the lens to a 16mm as many here have. It isn't that hard.

Fixing focus on IPC-COLOR4K-X

Successful change of 1/3" Dahua lens from 2.8mm to 25mm

Dahua Lens Replacement

2CD2387G2-LSU/LU Tear down and refocus (with pictures)

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Well then maybe the 4 Manufacturers I contacted should have suggested something, including a 10 minute conversation to HiKVision, who all said none was available! (16MM)..
I have 4-5 years of History with HiKvision, and they worked fine. 1 died out of 13.

I did not cheap out, I contacted MFG’s, and only when I received negative answers from MFG’s, did I put: 16MM POE Security Cameras in Google!

I could have moved 16MM LENS to a 4MM HiKvision, yes, but was hoping a new camera may be better! And try a 4K as well!
(I was evaluating the two, thinking that a new camera could run rings around a 5 year old camera).

Silly Me!

I was a little surprised that a more in depth technical information would have been encountered here than I encountered.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am surprised you received any response from some of the manufacturers.

We are not the Dahua and Hikvision target audience, it is the professional installers that are authorized to sell and install this gear, so we cannot purchase directly and thus they will not take your phone call for support related questions or suggestions - they will tell you to talk to the installer you purchased from for sales, support or firmware updates.

Many people have bought a "Hikvision" or "Dahua" from Amazon or some shady foreign website and when they call Hikvision or Dahua for support they basically tell them to go pound salt - we have dozens of threads were people come here after trying that route. We simply are not their intended market to sell to and they will not take your call for support...Lot's of threads here confirming this, including one from a few months ago where someone tried to call for support and they told them sorry talk to your installer.

I am surprised they didn't tell you to try a varifocal or tell you to contact an authorized dealer in your state. Or maybe they did and that is what you refer to as "negative answers" from manufacturers...

As stated, there are many varifocals that will fit this need just fine.

4K on the ideal MP/sensor ratio of 1/1.2" sensor right now is limited to about 6mm unless you go to a PTZ. And those cameras do not see infrared, so if you do not have enough light then it is the wrong camera.

And do not be mistaken by a 4K camera on the smaller sensor like the 1/2.8" or so - they will perform horribly at night.

Further, these 4K cameras are showing that due to the larger sensor and f-stop that the focus range is rather small and anything closer or further away is blurry. They definitely show they are not infinity focus. 4MP is the the preferred option for many situations.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I was a little surprised that a more in depth technical information would have been encountered here than I encountered.
Not sure what "technical information" you thought that you would get. You bought some unknown oddball Aliexpress cam that virtually nobody has any experience with. If settings that normally would be used to improve the image like manually setting exposure, et. al., don't even work, then it's kind of as it is. Which isn't all that unusual for such cams.

Many/most of us have been down the same road. You got the best advice that you could have - don't waste your time with it.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sometimes having technical knowledge doesn't translate well to someone else when you're trying to help them over the internet.
Especially with some random unknown device where the only real info about it that you have is a screenshot of one page of the configuration.

Have a look at it in onvif device manager.
Maybe you'll be able to pull some useful identification details from it and find another way to configure it.