All cameras are showing that they are continuously recording, but no clips can be found

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Dell Optiplex 5040 i7 6700 3.4 GHz small form factor with 16 GB RAM and a an 8 TB WD red 7200 RPM drive used solely for Blue Iris. Just installed my cameras and Blue Iris yesterday but despite it appearing like everything is operating normally, there are no video clips to be found anywhere. All cameras are set for dual stream and in the camera dialogue box both streams show numbers running (Sorry, I’m not at the computer so I can’t see exactly what things are doing and what its called as I am new to this). Direct to disk is checked and everything is set for h.264(?). Motion detection and or triggers are working as camera boxes borders turn red when things go across screen and red lights on on in all the corners. Hard drive shows no videos and Blue Iris has no clips. I tried rebuilding/repairing database but there’s a 000003 error. Blue Iris is installed on the c: drive and I created a 4TB d: drive to store the clips. I also have an 3.5TB e: drive. Anyone have an idea of what I’m doing wrong?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What cameras are you using? I recently helped a member here and his was doing the same thing despite every possible change and deleting and re-adding the camera.

When I looked a the camera settings, it was doing funny things and I do not think they were truly compatible with Blue Iris, yet the video stream would come in. The KEY in Camera status was over 5.25 and I have never seen that happen (it should be 1.00) and usually we see it the other way and they drop to 0.25 because they are spacing out the iframes (like the reolinks do and other nonstandard cameras).

We ended up having to change under Record, and the video file format and compression and go to the file compression and change to re-encode H264. Then it started recording and we could find the clips then in the New file.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screen shots
1) windows system information, may need two shots to get all info.
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
4) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
5) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
6) blue Iris status cameras tab
7) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
8) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What cameras are you using? I recently helped a member here and his was doing the same thing despite every possible change and deleting and re-adding the camera.

When I looked a the camera settings, it was doing funny things and I do not think they were truly compatible with Blue Iris, yet the video stream would come in. The KEY in Camera status was over 5.25 and I have never seen that happen (it should be 1.00) and usually we see it the other way and they drop to 0.25 because they are spacing out the iframes (like the reolinks do and other nonstandard cameras).

We ended up having to change under Record, and the video file format and compression and go to the file compression and change to re-encode H264. Then it started recording and we could find the clips then in the New file.
At the moment I only 2 cameras running: in the front which is well lit I have a 8MP Dahua IPC-T2831T-ZS and in the rear which is dark unless my motion lights go off, I have a 2MP IPC-T3241T-ZAS

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, BI should have no problem with those cameras.

Post the screenshots SouthernYankee requested and we can hopefully figure this out.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, I have implemented those suggestions except I haven’t found an option to allocate a % of your hard drive to BI
That is simply not assigning the entire drive to BI in the New setting. So if your harddrive is 10TB and you allocate 90%, you would put in 9TB.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
screen shots
1) windows system information, may need two shots to get all info.
2) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
3) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
4) Blue Iris Setting about tab (black out your license key)
5) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
6) blue Iris status cameras tab
7) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
8) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, a bit technologically challenged. Somehow the order got mixed up.‍♂8D93FE3B-172C-4C5F-99DC-A89A62541B4C.jpeg0FF52E80-1BF4-4B21-A63E-B05BC07DDF6B.jpegDDA45084-1486-47DB-806D-AB91AD5233CB.jpegFDB262D5-932A-4E24-AC33-0786D257C72C.jpegF8E45F60-4441-4A7C-B76B-82A92448FF6D.jpegA8C76E3A-CDA1-4094-AE9C-CFE04F007EA7.jpeg6A4A929C-5C6A-401E-83E0-92D9F0771C6C.jpeg78341813-621B-4A0F-9505-F1A973D0D023.jpegD7A7E17D-3100-4ADC-A3F3-A95E48067F31.jpeg7C0C3FCB-9C7E-4FB0-8CD0-7C02CD8BB38C.jpeg4C677A84-952D-42CF-8C35-EE0744DCBAEB.jpegC047819D-34C2-4FCE-8C6A-7663FB1CD830.jpeg11325B70-AC6A-4A58-B01C-1AD00F7D7E93.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your time for keeping until delete is way low. 1GB on alerts and 10GB on New and that is probably part of the problem. It appears you are not using substreams as 14% CPU for 2 cams is way too high on that machine, plus with an 8MP camera and depending on your FPS settings, the file can exceed your delete very quickly. Doesn't explain why you do not see a BVR file on your drive, but maybe the limit is so low it isn't even trying.

The DB should be on the C: drive.

I encourage you to follow the Optimization wiki - every item. Do not pick and choose.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your time for keeping until delete is way low. 1GB on alerts and 10GB on New and that is probably part of the problem. It appears you are not using substreams as 14% CPU for 2 cams is way too high on that machine, plus with an 8MP camera and depending on your FPS settings, the file can exceed your delete very quickly. Doesn't explain why you do not see a BVR file on your drive, but maybe the limit is so low it isn't even trying.

The DB should be on the C: drive.

I encourage you to follow the Optimization wiki - every item. Do not pick and choose.

Some of my tr

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m not sure which of my troubleshooting altered the sub streams as both cameras were showing activity for both streams yesterday and CPU usage had dropped to about 9% prior to the recent changes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
9% on that machine is still high with substreams.

I'm at that with WAY MORE cameras on an older machine.

I suspect some troubleshooting resulted in changing of something that didn't do what you thought it would.

Which coding and codec are you using within the camera GUI - if you have the + Codec on that could be the issue.

Try just H264 and no codec.

Let's see if someone else has another suggestion based on your screenshots. Since you just started, it might be easier to uninstall BI and reinstall and start with the Optimization wiki to make sure you do not have something funny going on.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You’ve got 0 for Stored plus New has 10Gb allocated with no other options set.

What you need to do is use the drives directly to store the clips. So if you have a single hard drive for clips set New to that drive, then allocate around 90% of the drive space to New and select that to store the clips.

If you have a 2nd drive then set Stored to point to that drive, again allocate around 90% of the drive space and then select Stored within the drop down to save clips to.

Don’t set it up to move clips around if the drives are local as there’s no point and it’s simply a waste of time and computer resources.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Set the new folder size to 3000GB on the D drive. Leave the stored folder to 0, set the alert folder to 10.GB
Set folder to
C:\BlueIris\db
D:\BlueIris\New
D:\BlueIris\Stored
D:\BlueIris\Alerts

Then reboot the BI PC.

After you have done that we will work on using hardware acceleration and duel stream

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
9% on that machine is still high with substreams.

I'm at that with WAY MORE cameras on an older machine.

I suspect some troubleshooting resulted in changing of something that didn't do what you thought it would.

Which coding and codec are you using within the camera GUI - if you have the + Codec on that could be the issue.

Try just H264 and no codec.

Let's see if someone else has another suggestion based on your screenshots. Since you just started, it might be easier to uninstall BI and reinstall and start with the Optimization wiki to make sure you do not have something funny going on.
The camera GUI is set for h264. Earlier from following one of the guides I had selected from the BI camera settings video tab to use hardware decode for Intel + VPP, but after some other tweaks or changes now that is no longer selected (for grins and giggles I have set it back since either way it didn’t seem to make a difference). I will take your advice and try everything that people have suggested today and if I still haven’t reached a solution I will try to uninstall and reinstall. I am so grateful for everyone’s prompt assistance in helping me set this up and I am quite the newb in these things

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera GUI is set for h264. Earlier from following one of the guides I had selected from the BI camera settings video tab to use hardware decode for Intel + VPP, but after some other tweaks or changes now that is no longer selected (for grins and giggles I have set it back since either way it didn’t seem to make a difference). I will take your advice and try everything that people have suggested today and if I still haven’t reached a solution I will try to uninstall and reinstall. I am so grateful for everyone’s prompt assistance in helping me set this up and I am quite the newb in these things
The Intel +VPP is the Hardware Acceleration within BI, which is different than smart codec within the camera GUI. Smart Codec will be under the H264 in the camera setting.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You’ve got 0 for Stored plus New has 10Gb allocated with no other options set.

What you need to do is use the drives directly to store the clips. So if you have a single hard drive for clips set New to that drive, then allocate around 90% of the drive space to New and select that to store the clips.

If you have a 2nd drive then set Stored to point to that drive, again allocate around 90% of the drive space and then select Stored within the drop down to save clips to.

Don’t set it up to move clips around if the drives are local as there’s no point and it’s simply a waste of time and computer resources.
Not sure if this makes a difference in what you said, but the computer is a slim tower and there was only space for a single drive. The other drives I listed are partitions in the same drive. I have installed Blue Iris on the c: and planned to use d: to store the video and can use e: for other cameras or for alerts.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to partition the drive and will probably cause more problems than you are trying to prevent.

If nothing else is on that drive, suggest you reformat with the tips southernyankee provides regarding allocation and formatting of cluster sizes - it will make a big improvement.

If you have a DVD drive in it, you can unhook it and add another HDD as well.