all ip cams disconnect when on same ip range as router

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have 2 different NVRs - one is chinese and the other is HIKVISION 7604-NI-K1/4P.
I also have 4 Ip cams from 2 different chinese makers.
I'm having this problem with both NVRs and several different routers I've tried (Tplink 841N, Archer C7 both with LEDE firmware) :
When nvr and ip cameras uses the router's 192.168.1.x network address, All the cams gets disconnected and restart themselves up to 2-3 times an hour. I see it happens lot of times when I connect my phone to the router's wifi.
When the nvr and ip cameras using different ip address range like 192.168.10.x, this does not happen.
If I change the router's ip to 192.168.10.x it start happening again.

Any idea why ?

Thank you

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's a weird one. Putting the NVR & cameras on a different subnet than the router disconnects them from the Internet in which case the problem goes away. Is uPnP enabled on the router?

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi bp,

No, I've manually assigned IP to the cameras and the NVR, And know every other device that is connected to my network, Which is a single desktop computer (connected to a computer monitor and 2 TV's), Brother 480DW wireless printer, And my Redmi 5 plus phone.

I Have eset internet security on my computer which has a built in firewall, But I don't think it has to ability to interfere with external devices on the network.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Suggestion for an experiment, to determine if in some way the outbound internet access from the cameras is implicated (though I don't see how) :
Set all the cameras default gateway to an unused IP address on their network segment, see if it changes the problem.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused reading this (but that's not surprising, as I'm no expert). But this may be relevant:

Every NVR I've seen has two network interfaces. One would be facing the LAN (and, probably gets provisioned via DHCP with a 192.168.1.X address on your LAN, presuming the router is using that subnet). The other network interface of the NVR is facing the cameras, and usually uses a different subnet (my own NVR would be on 192.168.254.X) and all the cameras would use that 254.X subnet. They would use the NVR as a gateway to the main LAN and thus to the internet.

I can see problems occuring if BOTH network interfaces on the NVR were trying to use the same subnet, particularly if both the LAN router and the NVR were using DHCP to hand out addresses.

Could this be the root problem? I would leave the LAN-facing address of the NVR set to DHCP so your router can control it, and let the NVR use a different subnet (such as 254.X) to use with the cameras.

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I got a real bad back pain and will test your tips in few days in hope to find a solution.

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response.
@ alaster : I think your tip worked. Just set up the gateway and dns to unsed ip's and the cams haven't disconnect since yesterday. A big thank you ! :highfive:
@ Frank : I do not connect the cameras directly to the NVR ethernet ports. They are just connected to the same network via switches. The DHCP of the NVR is disabled. I use static IP's for the cameras. Your suggestion would've work too I guess. It's just complicates things a bit with the different subnet. Thank you

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just set up the gateway and dns to unsed ip's and the cams haven't disconnect since yesterday.
That is a bit odd.
The implication could be that some internet access originating from the cameras is responsible for them rebooting periodically. It sounds like a firmware bug.
As a workaround (not as a fix) having a fictitious gateway set should do no harm if the cameras don't need internet access for normal operation, such as time setting.

Have you checked the camera web GUI to confirm there is not an external service inadvertently enabled that you don't need, such as a dynamic DNS or platform service?

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alastair,

I have not checked it, But those are 2 completely different brand camears that was bought year apart and have completely different firmwares (2 of each brand) and they behaved the same (They all got disconnected)

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a bit odd.

Have you checked the camera web GUI to confirm there is not an external service inadvertently enabled that you don't need, such as a dynamic DNS or platform service?
Grrrrr....the problem returned. I saw no service running in the camera's GUI. They are very simple cameras, And the only option in all those cameras is to choose stream mode.
It started when I went into my ESET smart security on a PC connected to the network to see if I can see the cameras on something called "connected home monitor". It like firewall map that aquires info from the camera - which makes it disconnects. I just tried it now, and it disconnected the cameras.

I don't know what else I can change except from connecting 3 of the 4 cameras directly to the nvr ethernet ports, And see if they work stable while the other one continue to disconnect (I'ts connected physically to another switch in another part of the house).

I can also install the antivirus version of ESET that does not include a firewall to see if it changes something.

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
Update : I can't believe it. Even if the cameras are connected to the NVR ethernet ports they restart when I caess them from ESET firewall......I guess they must be in a different subnet seperated from the main network

Update 2 : I'm sorry. I mistakenly didn't connect the cameras directly to the nvr. Am testing it now.

Last edited:

fish72

n3wb
Reaction score
An update :
After working with Eset on several net diagnostics, It seems that their discovery protocol that is used to scan the network (Called "Connected home monitor" in Eset internet security), Triggers a reset of both chinese camera brands.....
Although their supporter was great and professinal, They couldn't offer a solution, So I just disabled this feature in the ESET and it stopped resetting the cameras sinbce then.