All of my cameras are freezing randomly and recordings are artifacting.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I woke up and looked at my security system, and realized many of the recordings from that night/morning were artifacting and freezing. My motion detection is also going off a lot when the cameras decide to start showing artifacts all over, even though there was nothing there to trigger it.

I updated to the latest blue iris, and even updated all the firmware on my cameras, and even rebooted my router and switch, and the issue is still happening.

My computer is only using 15% CPU at night, and 50% CPU during the day. My HDD has 750GB free, and only 2.4/16GB of RAM is used.

You can see in this video a cat walking by, and then it freezes, but then the cat appears again with a bunch of artifacts, while the frozen cat is still there.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ReoLink RLC-410

Where is this iframe interval setting?

Also, this just started happening yesterday. It has been fine since we got it 3 months ago.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was definitely not occurring before. 95% of my clips are garbage because they freeze and blur, where before everything was perfect.

I don't have the old update file. Is there a place to get them? I would like to revert to 4.3.4 or 4.3.3

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It was definitely not occurring before. 95% of my clips are garbage because they freeze and blur, where before everything was perfect.

I don't have the old update file. Is there a place to get them? I would like to revert to 4.3.4 or 4.3.3
There should be some earlier versions in posts...you need to search for them. In the future its best to manually download updates so you have the update file to revert back to.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I downgraded back to 4.3.4 and it's still there. However, I know for sure it wasn't there before.

It's present in 80% of the 100 clips that are currently recorded, but if I go back to my old 43,000 clips, it's not present and they all look fine.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I downgraded back to 4.3.4 and it's still there. However, I know for sure it wasn't there before.

It's present in 80% of the 100 clips that are currently recorded, but if I go back to my old 43,000 clips, it's not present and they all look fine.
Were you always recording direct to disk?

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Capture.PNG

as you can see in this image, 8 out of 9 of the clips are messed up. I would have clearly noticed this before. Support is telling me "everyone else has no issues", so they are no help.

Never happened before, but now happens almost all the time.
Clips are freezing and artifacting.
Cameras are updated to latest firmware
Happens on Blue Iris 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.7
Adjusted cameras to run at 20fps to lower CPU usage to 35-40%, but still happens.

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the camera's and their settings didnt change, and the program version is reverted to the old, could it be an issue on your network? The lack of key frames may not be a problem if the network is not congested, but maybe it could trigger issues when your network is too busy? I would try rebooting your router(s) for a start, if that doesnt help, perhaps take a few cams off line and see if that changes anything.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will try that, however my entire system is wired, so I don't see how it would cause any issues.

I will report back after disabling a few cameras.

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It may not be a capacity problem as such; I was googling for your camera to find the bit rate, and stumbled upon this:
http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=10323.0

Sounds like a very similar problem. Note this response "Same issue here, mine was a network issue, I changed out the cable and connected it to a different wireless access point and it fixed it. Not sure which was actually the issue, the cable or the access point."

Could just be a bad cable.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
By "cable" are they referring to the one going from the switch to the router/ap? because I can't replace the ethernet cables going to the cameras, because I spent $300 on it, and it's buried under the ground.

Then again, if it was the ethernet going to the camera, it would most likely not affect all 7 of them.

I will try replacing the cable going from the switch to router. Thank you.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay so I disabled 2 cameras and kept 5 going, and the artifacting didn't happen at all today. So this leads me to believe it has to be the router. However, one of my cameras run at max 999kB/s which is roughly 8mbps. 7 cameras is max 56mbps. Router is 100mbps. So my security system is technically only using half the routers speed at full force, so it doesn't make sense..

vertigo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
7 cameras is max 56mbps. Router is 100mbps. So my security system is technically only using half the routers speed

Ah, if only it where it that simple. if I had known you where pushing >50mbit, I would have immediately told you a 100mb router wouldnt suffice.
A single 99mBit stream might just work, in theory, if that 99mbit was not just for the video feed, but included all the TCPIP and ethernet overhead. But it doesnt, the bitrate is video bitrate, not network bitrate. And more importantly, having several streams will lead to congestion as the ethernet traffic will not be perfectly constant in time.

The solution should be simple and cheap though; get a gigabit router. (make sure its a router, not a switch or hub, as the camera's probably dont do gigabit ethernet). Your motherboard probably supports gbit speeds. Dont think however gbit really is 10x faster than your current network. But it should be able to handle your current load.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a few routers in my house, 3 of which are gigabit, so I honestly thought the router running the security system was one of the gigabit ones.

I have switched them out, and will report back tomorrow with the results.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!