Allow continuous recording + alerts in different folder

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to set-up my camera to have continuous saving on one folder where the alerts get saved into a different folder.

To achieve this, I created one camera

Camera1:
- Motion sensor: off
- Record: Video -> Continuous, Folder: New
- Direct-to-disk

Camera1 (copy):
- Motion sensor: on
- record: Video -> When triggered -> Stored_Alerts
- MPEG-4(MP4) with MPEG4 or H.264 video, AAC or MP3 audio
- Direct-to-disk

in clips and archiving:
db Path c:\BlueIris\db
New: c:\BlueIris\New
Alerts: c:\BlueIris\Alerts1
Stored_alerts: c:\BlueIris\Stored_Alerts

The first problem seems to be related to the direct-to-disk where it does save file on me continuous but the stored_alerts is empty. Looking in the logs, I'm cseing Clip: write error: 80000000000, undefined

If I change my camerara1 (copy) to use re-encode with settings H264 -H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, this is working. However, I would really like to use the disk-to-disk so avoid cpu utilization (i'm planning to have 10+cameras), is this a bug or I am missing something?

If I do use the re-encode with settings H264, I can see the clip being saved, however, I can't seem to open the file externally it's being used by the blueiris process. This is a problem because I want to be able to view the mp4 (or copy it) outside blueiris....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to set-up my camera to have continuous saving on one folder where the alerts get saved into a different folder.

To achieve this, I created one camera

Camera1:
- Motion sensor: off
- Record: Video -> Continuous, Folder: New
- Direct-to-disk

Camera1 (copy):
- Motion sensor: on
- record: Video -> When triggered -> Stored_Alerts
- MPEG-4(MP4) with MPEG4 or H.264 video, AAC or MP3 audio
- Direct-to-disk

in clips and archiving:
db Path c:\BlueIris\db
New: c:\BlueIris\New
Alerts: c:\BlueIris\Alerts1
Stored_alerts: c:\BlueIris\Stored_Alerts

The first problem seems to be related to the direct-to-disk where it does save file on me continuous but the stored_alerts is empty. Looking in the logs, I'm cseing Clip: write error: 80000000000, undefined

If I change my camerara1 (copy) to use re-encode with settings H264 -H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, this is working. However, I would really like to use the disk-to-disk so avoid cpu utilization (i'm planning to have 10+cameras), is this a bug or I am missing something?

If I do use the re-encode with settings H264, I can see the clip being saved, however, I can't seem to open the file externally it's being used by the blueiris process. This is a problem because I want to be able to view the mp4 (or copy it) outside blueiris....
Why not simply record continuously and have alerts marked in the continuous clip?

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
Why not simply record continuously and have alerts marked in the continuous clip?
The idea is to have the mp4 file stored in a different folder and synced on the cloud when it happens so if someone enter my home and find my server, even if he leave with everything (HDS, ect) , clips will be already uploaded to the cloud and I'll still be able to view it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The idea is to have the mp4 file stored in a different folder and synced on the cloud when it happens so if someone enter my home and find my server, even if he leave with everything (HDS, ect) , clips will be already uploaded to the cloud and I'll still be able to view it.
no one is looking for your server. Use an SD card in the cams and of you are paranoid record to local nas as a backup. What if someone cuts your cable line? Your write error can be due to your folder names, remove the underscores.

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
no one is looking for your server. Use an SD card in the cams and of you are paranoid record to local nas as a backup. What if someone cuts your cable line? Your write error can be due to your folder names, remove the underscores.
I don't think no one should assume this assumption 'no one is looking for your server' :) I already have a local nas as a backup but I'm being paranoid that someone "could" steal it! The SD card are already in the cams, which was a good idea!

I've tried to remove the underscore and still doesn't work. Like I said, It does work if I remove the direct-to-disk so seems like a possible bug of some sort?

thanks for the help BTW!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think no one should assume this assumption 'no one is looking for your server' :) I already have a local nas as a backup but I'm being paranoid that someone "could" steal it! The SD card are already in the cams, which was a good idea!

I've tried to remove the underscore and still doesn't work. Like I said, It does work if I remove the direct-to-disk so seems like a possible bug of some sort?

thanks for the help BTW!
no its likely an issue with your setup...
I think you should assume no one is taking your server. Lock it down. Does your router support lte failover, if not why have you not planned for the burglars cutting your cable line? Sounds like you dont have an alarm system if you think they will steal the cams, steal your pc, steal your nas backup...they are not hanging out there all day.

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
no its likely an issue with your setup...
I think you should assume no one is taking your server. Lock it down. Does your router support lte failover, if not why have you not planned for the burglars cutting your cable line? Sounds like you dont have an alarm system if you think they will steal the cams, steal your pc, steal your nas backup...they are not hanging out there all day.
Although you are probably right, I still think assuming someone will never find your server/DVR, even if lock or what ever, is still wrong. A good security system should be able to have fallback protection (in my opinion). Without going into too much detail, I do have an internet watchdog to my server for internet connectivity, from a cloud service and I also do have a real home system that is hook to a central. I realized that It might seems like an overkill setup, but I don't think no one would argue that you can have "too much" security :)

Anyway, seems like I restarted the process and now things are saving properly for some odd reason, however, the process is still being used by my alerts on the file so I can't copy it. Would be nice if blue Iris would close the file after the alert so it can be copied/viewed...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Although you are probably right, I still think assuming someone will never find your server/DVR, even if lock or what ever, is still wrong. A good security system should be able to have fallback protection (in my opinion). Without going into too much detail, I do have an internet watchdog to my server for internet connectivity, from a cloud service and I also do have a real home system that is hook to a central. I realized that It might seems like an overkill setup, but I don't think no one would argue that you can have "too much" security :)

Anyway, seems like I restarted the process and now things are saving properly for some odd reason, however, the process is still being used by my alerts on the file so I can't copy it. Would be nice if blue Iris would close the file after the alert so it can be copied/viewed...
You have 2 backups..burglars dont look for video servers. They dont steal servers or desktop computers. You have SD card backup. You have a SECOND nas backup..dont go insane. This is your home, not a bank.
Blue iris does close the file, you need to read the help file.
If you want to close an mp4 file you must stop writing to it. You need to disable combine and cut in the record tab which keeps it open for writing.

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
sweet that worked! thanks,

i guess the last thing I still can't figure it out is the direct-to-disk on my copy camera for alerts doesn't seem to be working too well. I have a pre-trigger of 5 seconds and disk-to-disk and have it set to when triggered, however, the output is only a second long of video and between 1 and 2MB file size. Switching it off to re-encode with settings works fine (my pre-trigger works and file size is around 40MB).

Is there another setting i might be missing here?

thanks a lot for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
sweet that worked! thanks,

i guess the last thing I still can't figure it out is the direct-to-disk on my copy camera for alerts doesn't seem to be working too well. I have a pre-trigger of 5 seconds and disk-to-disk and have it set to when triggered, however, the output is only a second long of video and between 1 and 2MB file size. Switching it off to re-encode with settings works fine (my pre-trigger works and file size is around 40MB).

Is there another setting i might be missing here?

thanks a lot for your help!
What cameras are you using?
match the iframe interval to the fps.
ensure that you are not using any smart codec or + codec.

jbisson

n3wb
Reaction score
What cameras are you using?
match the iframe interval to the fps.
ensure that you are not using any smart codec or + codec.
My camera is a hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I HD. I had H.265+ enabled and this is what causing the issue. Switching to H.265 and putting the I Frame Interval to the same as fps did the trick - thank you!

Not exactly sure what's the difference between H.265 and H.265+, seems like H265+ would be better but I might be wrong.

Is there a recommended fps? is 20fps a bit too much?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My camera is a hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I HD. I had H.265+ enabled and this is what causing the issue. Switching to H.265 and putting the I Frame Interval to the same as fps did the trick - thank you!

Not exactly sure what's the difference between H.265 and H.265+, seems like H265+ would be better but I might be wrong.

Is there a recommended fps? is 20fps a bit too much?
h265+ is a proprietary codec and does not play well with bi. More is not always better. + is not always better.
15fps is generally way more than you need.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jbisson how do you sync with the cloud? Can you share?