Almost time.... Empire Order

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Almost ready to put an order in with Andy, but I wanted to ask some questions here first.

NVR: I'm still trying to decide if should get the NVR5216-4KS2 V2 OR NVR5416-4KS2 V2?

So far I'm leaning towards the 4HDD model as I think I would save the extra money spent on it, when purchasing Hard Drives.
For example, WD Purple 4TB is $189 AUD, WD Purple 6TB is $289 AUD, WD Purple 8TB steps up to $429 and the 10TB is $629. So effectively I could buy 3x 4TB HDD and save $62 on what it would cost to buy 1x 10TB.

But, the question is how do Dahua NVRs handle recording to different HDD as there is no Raid? Do you set cameras to record to a specific HDD?

I believe the 2HDD model has a external power supply which makes it quieter, does anyone know if the 4HDD model is loud? Or runs hotter? Would I need to use a power plug adapter? EU/US to Australian plug? Maybe an advantage for the 4HDD model may be I can you kettle cable to power it?

Are there any other pros or cons of the 4HDD?

IP Cams: I'm going to buy 3 - 5 cams to get started, going to be either the IPC-HDW5231R-Z OR IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to cover door ways. Does anyone have a preference?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

Hi there - I ordered an NVR5216-16P-4KS2 with @EMPIRETECANDY (Andy), with HFW5231 & HDBW5231 cams.

First off: hard disk compatibility: check it out: NVR/Basic Setup/Compatible HDDs - Dahua Wiki
Secondly: not all NVR's support "raid", my NVR5216 does not. If you look at the screenshots on NVRiSettingStorage - Dahua Wiki (bottom page), you see the NVR works with "groups", you can identify different groups so that eg main stream and substreams are stored on different disks. I have opted for a 2bay system as I still had a spare disk lying around, when I'm ready to go into production, I add a brand new disk in the second slot.
Thirdly: my NVR5216 does *not* have an external power supply, it has an integrated C13 plug (with hardwired power switch). Power level is quite high (compare to a laptop which runs at 100% cpu and fan spinning at 100%). Keep in mind: I got the 16 port PoE version - very handy if you want to eliminate the need of POE injectors/additional PoE switches. Great advantage: all cams are in "private" subnet behind the NVR, although the NVR itself provides Port Forwarding to each and any of the PoE IP cams behind it.
Fourthly: capacity: in my mind, going for 1*10TB is overshoot, try to figure out how many days of full recording with all camera's at full resolution you must have. If you add 10TB and it breaks, you maybe loose footage of more than 20 mandays, that's not smart either

Regarding your camera's: I was doubting between HDW5231 and HDBW5231, but opted for the latter because that one is vandal proof. Not sure if required by you, but it can help.

Do not forget to order Junction Boxes with Andy, I hesitated too on them (and wanted to create something out of plastic tubes) but once installed, you will not regret the (small) cost for these cool cast-iron waterproof boxes!

Hope this helps you out, any more questions: shoot! :)

Last edited:

claudioggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW5231R-ZE have built-in mic, the HDBW5231 is vandal proof but not mic.
:wave:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Almost ready to put an order in with Andy, but I wanted to ask some questions here first.

NVR: I'm still trying to decide if should get the NVR5216-4KS2 V2 OR NVR5416-4KS2 V2?
IP Cams: I'm going to buy 3 - 5 cams to get started, going to be either the IPC-HDW5231R-Z OR IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to cover door ways. Does anyone have a preference?

Welcome Tengu,

Do you really need that much HDD storage space? If so, then go with the NVR5416-4KS2 model. If not, the NVR5216-4KS2 works well for many of us.
Both models have internal power supply. The NVR5216 is louder than some like, so do not put it in your bedroom.

Q: IPC-HDW5231R-Z OR IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
I like the older style more as there is more metal on the front of the face of the camera and thus it is more vandal resistant imho, and easy to paint to match your wall if you need to paint it.

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for every ones reply, given me a few things to think about.

Is there anyone who has the NVR5416-4KS2? Is it loud? Mine will be rack mounted in a case in the study.... not far from my bedroom?
Originally I thought it might be good to have the extra HDMI & RJ45 connectors, but now I don't think I'll use them.
Power consumption on the 2HDD model is almost half that of the 4HDD without the hard drives installed? Why would that be?

IP Cams? Maybe a couple of both :blankstare:

DesiJatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the 5416 and it’s not too loud. You can sit next to it for a while without going crazy, but I definitely wouldn’t put it in a bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for every ones reply, given me a few things to think about...

Power consumption on the 2HDD model is almost half that of the 4HDD without the hard drives installed? Why would that be?
Hi Tengu,

Perhaps the motherboard and components are more powerful in the 5416 model?
Or perhaps the 5216 has more efficient power supply?

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cams and they are perfect for night time and over door areas. Highly recommended. Enjoy!!!!

Steve

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone

Are junction boxes necessary on the dome and turret cams?

Also, I've been doing more reading and there seem to be mixed opinion as to how load the NVRs are. Hopefully the smart fan will make a difference.