Alot of Blue in the image, especially around lighting..

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I have been trying to get the "best" camera to monitor my front yard and also my front door. Initially i had a $40 Jennov 1080 turret camera [which surprisingly is the best ive had so far], but it wasnt able to see the sides of my yard. So i purchased the camera i have now, a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 2.8mm Lens. I have a few issues with it already...First off as the title says, anything bright seems to be extremely over exaggerated, even a small table light that i was using last night as i worked on my car looked like a image of the sun when viewed from the camera. This is also where the "blue" comes in, street lights across the street dont do that as much but they are surrounded by a "blue halo" around them at night. This happens during the day time also with bright indirect sunlight [i live in Florida]. I messed with all of the image options and nothing seemed to mitigate that at all, but the whole scene looks slightly blue tinted.

The other issue may be due to using 2.8mm focal lens, but the sides of the screen on both the left and right are severely warped/bent inwards. The 3.6mm Jennov camera i have had that to but it was far less severe. Thanks in advance for any suggestions for what the issue could be.

Link to the Hik camera i bought -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EN3YBZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The two pics are screen grabs of the "blue" problem in the camera, its not in direct sunlight and its slightly overcast today as well. Even the tail end of my car has it!!

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Without knowing the image settings that you have used, there isn't much to give a good response to.
What image settings have you altered away from the initial defaults?

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the settings at default in the image settings area, but i upped the bitrate to 6144 from the default of 4096 in the video settings tab. Besides upping the bitrate, i altered the OSD settings to my time zone but i dont think that would effect the image itself.

Here are two images of the settings from my end, thank you for the reply btw.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are two images of the settings from my end, thank you for the reply btw.
Well, those settings certainly don't show anything of concern.
Does the camera have an unrestricted view, ie not under a soffit, or mounted such that bright reflections from the side could be a feature?
Can you do a full screen capture from the camera Live View?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like chromatic aberration (CA) to me. It's a characteristic of the lens and is typically worse as you get closer to the edges of the frame. Wide angle lenses often have worse CA because its harder to get all the wavelengths of light to perfectly coincide at more extreme angles.

Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure, here is a full screen pic [dont mind the mess this house is being renovated]...I also showed the feed to a friend and he said it was ok in his opinion, so maybe i am being picky here but still the blue bugs me. If you look at the picture as well, its just starting to get dark now and the neighbor has a porch light on that already has a blue halo forming around it.

Attachments

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like chromatic aberration (CA) to me. It's a characteristic of the lens and is typically worse as you get closer to the edges of the frame. Wide angle lenses often have worse CA because its harder to get all the wavelengths of light to perfectly coincide at more extreme angles.

Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia
Is there anyway to correct that? This camera has WDR on it and it helped a small amount, but i turned it off because it added alot of noise to the picture.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anyway to correct that? This camera has WDR on it and it helped a small amount, but i turned it off because it added alot of noise to the picture.
CA is a characteristic of the lens. Cheap lenses suffer more than expensive lenses but even they can have it. These are surveillance cameras with lenses that probably cost a couple of bucks, not $2000 portrait lenses.

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
OK that makes sense to me. Im glad that its a characteristic of the focal view and not a flaw with the camera itself, i can live with that since the view is really good...This is a trade off. Thanks to both you and alastairstevenson for the help!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, here is a full screen pic
That image looks good to me, possibly with the automatic allowance that it's a surveillance camera image and not from my photographic camera.

But zooming it up, I don't see the blue around the back of the car that was clear enough in your original thumbnails, nor any significant chromatic aberration. How did you create the thumbnails?

upload_2018-2-17_10-20-53.png

piate

n3wb
Reaction score
That image looks good to me, possibly with the automatic allowance that it's a surveillance camera image and not from my photographic camera.

But zooming it up, I don't see the blue around the back of the car that was clear enough in your original thumbnails, nor any significant chromatic aberration. How did you create the thumbnails?

View attachment 26729
The original picture from my first post with the strong "blue" on the back of my car i took around 5pm, the last picture i posted [the full screen picture] was taken around 6:30pm and thats when it starts to get dark here in Florida, so it was just the sun being at a different angle when i took the second picture that caused the "blue" to not be present or be weaker. The intensity of the "blue" depends entirely on the lightsource and where its coming from, i think it is chromatic aberration, im a newby with the camera stuff [but learning] so i wasnt even aware of CA.

Last edited: