Already Made Introduction - n3wb Needs Help to Get Started w/Surveillance

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
After many hours reading and not really making progress, I thought I'd just ask a question to get some momentum.

I need daytime surveillance only, covering a fence line where my neighbor has very aggressive (vicious) dogs that constantly jump at our fence, 1 foot from our sidewalk.
Police code enforcement/animal control, as well as a lawyer, are suggesting that I install cameras to capture the dogs behavior. Having video may help if these dogs injure
anyone on my property; I have history to prove their behavior.

I live in a really good neighborhood (minus the neighbor and dogs), so I don't need facial or LP recognition, or night time viewing.

What type of camera would work for what I want?

TIA

edit: this will be wired with blueiris, max 4 cameras. Cost is second to function/performance.

Last edited:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi bgm1911, I envision dogs running up and down a fenceline. I would get an auto tracking camera. Some of the regulars here put forth a lot of effort to review cameras. A quick search found this thread Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus. I think it would document a dogs behavior well. As luck would have it, wolf4ever just posted one in the classifieds here.
There are also some good thread about privacy on this site. A neighbor might frown upon a camera viewing his property regardless of why.
Secondly, as a dog lover, you and I could have a spirited discussion about what is an aggressive dog and what is a dog just being a dog. You have a right and obligation to protect your family and a camera can help you do that. Please share the video you get of the dogs being aggressive with your neighbor and maybe show them that it is not just "dogs being dogs".

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A few pictures of your problem area would help.
Pictures of were you plan on mounting camera.

The most import thing is the lens size to cover the required area.

bgm1911

n3wb
Reaction score
Secondly, as a dog lover, you and I could have a spirited discussion about what is an aggressive dog and what is a dog just being a dog.
Thanks for the info on the camera.

I'm not looking to spend $1000 plus on a surveillance system over a barking dachshund.

A dog that is specifically trained to attack people, per the owner, and is mostly locked in the house because it is so aggressive and cannot interact with anyone but the family, well, that's not a normal dog.
Come to my property, and have the living shit scared out of you when this dog is lunging against the fence with teeth bared, viciously barking, with what seems like nothing else but this dog wants to tear into you, and that is not a normal dog either.