Alternative to Blue Iris

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure how this thread evolved into a hardware discussion. My original post was what is a software alternative to BI that will run on my current computer which is a Dell I7 with a terabyte of HD.
I don't know much about the competition but I know if you're having trouble with Blue Iris, you'll probably have trouble with other similar software. It's probably not going to be a "grass is greener" kinda thing. If you were to provide some specifics about what's going wrong with it and be willing to work through it, you're already in the right place. And I'm willing to bet you could have a rock-solid setup and learn some stuff along the way.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just spent $850 for a Win10 Dell 7040MT i7-6700 system with a 500GB SSD system drive. Is that expensive? I remember spending $1,600 for an Ambra 486 system back in '91. Considering that is the equivalent of $2200 now, I wonder if perhaps we've lost perspective as to what is expensive and what is reaonable. Certainly Fenderman's $300 solution is more then reasonable, especially when considering that -- for me -- Blue Iris runs without intervention or issue. But then...I don't autoupdate anymore.
ROFL

Your so right @Q2U. My first build was a 286 and I probably spent just over a K for that. Been so damn long now. At some point I'm going to build another system to run BI dedicated. Right now its on my all-around PC for web surfing, gaming, monkey spanking, etc. :laugh:

I'll admit I had some issues with BI following my Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10. For some reason or another the newer version of BI made my night shots freeze up like crazy. Never did get a bead on what was the problem, but I had to live with it. Interestingly enough all the issues magically disappeared following BI updates. Now everything is running solid, but it sucks not knowing what was the early cause.

Perhaps even a windows update resolved the issues. One will never know, but BI is so damn nice that I cant imagine video surveillance without it.

TiGeR

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried a BI demo on an admittedly underpowered Win10 laptop just to test it out and it failed miserably.

From reading around the forum, for BI to work well you need a pretty powerfully spec'd PC with latest high end processor(s), lots O memory and highly recommended to only record direct to disc and having the computer dedicated to only this task, limiting your options there somewhat and adding alot to your initial cost for setup. So a lot of considerations and tradeoffs for the added features vs. a good quality stable NVR which probably will have less features and less flexibility.
Hi,

I've tested BI 4 on a Mini-ITX system with a onboard Intel Atom D525 CPU (1,83Ghz), 2 GB of DDR3 RAM (SODIMM), and a old 500GB HDD, installed with Windows 10 Pro 64bit. And i've had no crashes at all. It still runs flawless, even when the CPU runs in the high 90% of its usage. At this moment BI reports a CPU usage of 34%. So i cannot say that it is unstable at all.

You could try Milestone Xprotect Go, with a free license. With this you can use up to 8 hardware devices, and 5 days of recording to look back. But keep in mind that those alternatives will use much more system resources, and will be quite expensive if you want to add more hardware devices to it.

Just my 2 cents.