Am I choosing correctly?

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking for a camera to install on my front porch near my front door. I want an Eyeball style with POE and human detection features. I will be using Synology's Surveillance Station on my NAS and would also like the camera to integrate into Home Assistant without too much of a hassle.

Below is a picture of the location where I plan to mount the camera and the scene it will be capturing, during the day and at night with my floodlight on and off. I hope to use the motion detection of the camera to trigger my front porch light. I don't want IR lights attracting bugs so close to my front door and I don't want a camera with LED's blinding me when I am walking up to the door. It is about 60' from my front door to my mailbox.

70389405527__963D1EB8-3ADF-4C64-A273-D95090B157E4.jpeg
70389453682__757FB521-E94D-41A1-A14F-AACA21667500.jpeg
IMG_7297.jpeg
IMG_7302.jpeg

I have read the wiki, cliff notes, and several of the reviews on different cameras and, admittedly, still don't fully understand the ins and outs of all of them. For now, I have decided on the EmpireTech IPC-Color4K-T camera. Though I do think its more camera than I probably need. If I do end up going with this one I will probably manually turn the integrated LED's off to avoid blinding anyone walking up to the front door.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. I am not afraid to research and read but I feel like I've been going in circles for the last week.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Bugs and IR: I had more trouble with LED full color cams and Bugs. I had to turn the LED's off, then I had to move the camera somewhere else with more outdoor lighting.
I think you might wanna get more feedback on IR and bug experience from other guys.
I have 30 cams i have in 2 systems, and I'm not experience super annoying amounts bugs, but Of course it's Winter 6 months a year LOL....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing old @sebastiantombs always remarked ( as well as many others) was, you want Camera's watching cameras.
I wonder if you can also add one somewhat opposing that one. Maybe by the downspout looking towards the garage and the porch.....or on the opposite corner of the porch looking the other way?
Or are you going to just keep it simple for now?

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
t's Winter 6 months a year LOL....
Here in central Texas it's summer 10.5 months a year haha.

I'm planning on keeping it simple for now. We don't plan on being here but for about another year. We also have spray foam in the attic so running cat5 would not be fun.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a camera to install on my front porch near my front door. I want an Eyeball style with POE and human detection features. I will be using Synology's Surveillance Station on my NAS and would also like the camera to integrate into Home Assistant without too much of a hassle.

Below is a picture of the location where I plan to mount the camera and the scene it will be capturing, during the day and at night with my floodlight on and off. I hope to use the motion detection of the camera to trigger my front porch light.
Just be aware of these 2 things:
  • The IPC-Color4K-T camera does NOT have built-in IR for use when there is not enough visible, ambient light. Also, it does not "see" IR so even supplemental IR emitters won't help it either.
  • If you "use the motion detection of the camera to trigger my front porch light", the visible light switching on can temporarily blind a camera as it adjusts to the sudden availability of visible light and some important event may be missed.

Last edited:

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been searching for a somewhat similar situation. Depending on where you still want a sharp view, you might have to consider the depth of field for those Color4K cams. You find them in the spec sheets.

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
Just be aware of these 2 things:
  • The IPC-Color4K-T camera does NOT have built-in IR for use when there is not enough visible, ambient light. Also, it does not "see" IR so even supplemental IR emitters won't help it either.
  • If you "use the motion detection of the camera to trigger my front porch light", the visible light switching on can temporarily blind a camera as it adjusts to the sudden availability of visible light and some important event may be missed.
Both good points.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Whenever the satellite or cable installers come, they ring a house with exterior cable runs.
A zip tie with a staple holding it to the wood is great for "temp installs" under the eves.

Reaction score
One thing old @sebastiantombs always remarked ( as well as many others) was, you want Camera's watching cameras.
I wonder if you can also add one somewhat opposing that one. Maybe by the downspout looking towards the garage and the porch.....or on the opposite corner of the porch looking the other way?
My thoughts exactly!

1682293744624.png
1682293889985.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're only going to have one cam (for now at least ; ) I think I might mount it more toward the garage. Maybe where that wall is behind the post next to the garage. That will give you a better view of the cars and you'll get people approaching the door too. Then you could run IR or LED without the problems that you mention.

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're only going to have one cam (for now at least ; ) I think I might mount it more toward the garage. Maybe where that wall is behind the post next to the garage. That will give you a better view of the cars and you'll get people approaching the door too. Then you could run IR or LED without the problems that you mention.
The rationale behind my original placement was to get a shot of the driveway and front door. Placing it next to the garage, I would be afraid that a lot would be blocked by the vehicles when they're out (which is often), and the wall would block everything to the left. I am starting to lean toward mounting it near the downspout to get a view of the driveway and sidewalk to the front door.

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
I am pulling up this old thread because the wife has put her foot down, we are getting cameras. Not much has changed in 18 months. I still don't know which camera/s to get or where to put it/them. I want to stick to one camera right now for simplicity while I am getting everything set up and working the way I want. I am considering placing it on the soffit in front of the wall next to the garage. This should get me an excellent view of the driveway and anyone walking up to the front door.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am pulling up this old thread because the wife has put her foot down, we are getting cameras. Not much has changed in 18 months. I still don't know which camera/s to get or where to put it/them. I want to stick to one camera right now for simplicity while I am getting everything set up and working the way I want. I am considering placing it on the soffit in front of the wall next to the garage. This should get me an excellent view of the driveway and anyone walking up to the front door.
Hi @BVavra

I highly recommend getting one good varifocal 4mp 1/1.8" for a good camera to learn with.

Play around with the placement locations you are considering using a test rig and play with the fov to get an idea of what you like. This will help getting more affordable fixed fov cameras for you next camera ( typically I like the 3.6mm lens for most of my positions .. only a 2.8mm is one at face level )

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @BVavra

I highly recommend getting one good varifocal 4mp 1/1.8" for a good camera to learn with.

Play around with the placement locations you are considering using a test rig and play with the fov to get an idea of what you like. This will help getting more affordable fixed fov cameras for you next camera ( typically I like the 3.6mm lens for most of my positions .. only a 2.8mm is one at face level )
Is there a specific camera you recommend?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
My driveway is 60', so I have narrowed them down to the 5842 ZE S3 or the 5442 ZE. Can somebody please explain the differences between the two? @wiffaj

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with the 5442-Z4E at 60 feet. I am not comfortable with identify at night with the ZE at 60 feet. 25-30 feet maybe.

The 5842 will only work if you have a lot of light.

BVavra

n3wb
Reaction score
I would go with the 5442-Z4E at 60 feet. I am not comfortable with identify at night with the ZE at 60 feet. 25-30 feet maybe.

The 5842 will only work if you have a lot of light.
Is the 5442-Z4E available in a turret style?

Reaction score
Is the 5442-Z4E available in a turret style?
No. Bullet only.

I have narrowed them down to the 5842 ZE S3 or the 5442 ZE. Can somebody please explain the differences between the two?
The 5842 is 8MP and the 5442 is a 4MP. They are on the same size sensor I think. That is why Wittaj sates the 5842 needs a lot of light.