Am I missing anything with this setup? Duhua cams, blue iris, POE+ switch

drewdoog

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading reviews and wikis and think I have what I need, but someone a little wiser may think differently. Am I missing anything?
Dedicated i7 (7700k) for recording (SSD's) 32gb memory
Blue Iris
2x Dahua 5442t-ze turrets
Trendnet 8gb POE+ 64w switch
1 Dahua 1831e bullet
(I am adding two more turrets with multi cams in the future)
My entire house is wired with Cat 5 to a distribution center in a ventilated closet. I have a pole barn 30' from the house that is wired with 3 dedicated cat 6 boxes for at least 2 additional cameras.
Is there anything that you would change or suggest for this list?
Thanks
Drewdoog

Reaction score
looks good, me thinks, for starting up.
except for the 32gb recording memory. Um.... way too short. Best to consider 1TB or larger Western Digital Purple HD storage.

Reaction score
Dedicated i7 (7700k) for recording (SSD's) 32gb memory
I take that to mean 32GB of RAM and using SSD for recordings? Your OS and BI db should be on an SSD or an M.2 type drive. Recordings from BI on a surveillance rated HDD, like a WD Purple. If you are truly getting 32GB RAM, make sure you get that in two paired 16GB sticks so you can used dual channel memory.

It is prudent to have a plan, not just buy cams and then make a plan based on the cams you purchased. Getting a single varifocal cam and using a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes can really help you decide the proper cams for each location based on the plan.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally, I'd use a dedicated RF link from the pole barn for added electrical isolation. Ubiquity Nano Station Loco will handle at least four, if not more, 4MP cameras.

You definitely don't want to record to SSD drives. They have a finite write lifespan that will get used up very quickly. Spinning metal is the only way to go and well into the terrabyte range for size.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you thought about your VLAN layout and what you will be doing for a VPN for remote viewing yet?

drewdoog

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes 32gb dual channel ram. 1-500gb for OS, 2 450gb SSD's.
Great Info, I feel like I have went over the wiki, but I might have missed it. I will replace SSDs with HDD. Thanks.
The cameras I chose for the application. Part of the reason I haven't decided on the pole barn and backyard cameras is because I am still looking for them.

I have two Unifi Ubiquiti's by the barn. One is inside, the other is outside. It is a steel barn and I have a hard enough time trying to get the opener remote to work without being 3' from the door so I have to use two.

For remote viewing, I was just going to use BlueIris, but if you have other suggestions, I am willing to hear. Thanks for all the help guys.

drewdoog

n3wb
Reaction score
Junction boxes=yes
The area over coverage is 12 ' at 90 degrees. The 5442s can recognize at 30' and identify at 13' and has a 114 degree wide angle, so both corners of the house will be covered. I have a privacy fence at 14' from one side and the other side of the fence will be covered at another time.
The focal length of the bullet like i said is a problem. It will be mounted at eye level by the back door. I need coverage at 3' and it has a focal length of 1.3m. I can put it in a different location than i wanted so it will work. I will look into a different camera with possibly a smaller lens though.
Thanks again guys