AM/PM vs 24hr - Solved

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been clicking around settings but I can’t find the button to change from am/pm to 24hr.

I appreciate if someone could guide me... thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been clicking around settings but I can’t find the button to change from am/pm to 24hr.

I appreciate if someone could guide me... thanks!
dont use the blue iris overlay, it does not get recorded when using direct to disk. Use the cameras own overlay.
the format can be changed in video>enable overlays >Edit

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I forgot that “direct to disk” obviously will affect the time stamp.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman, I forgot that “direct to disk” obviously will affect the time stamp.
If using BVR format you can add the timestamp back when exporting, however, you are much better off using the cameras. See threads on timesynctool that will allow you to run your own timeserver on the pc so the cameras are all in sync without the need for external access.

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm glad I made the switch to a dedicated "blue Iris" PC, and I see there are endless possibilities :)
We have sorted out the timestamp when recording direct to disc, but I'm still searching for how to switch from am/pm to 24hr - system vise. The reason is very simple, as this reflects the timeline and other basic feature. I guess I can live with it the way it is, but I find it strange that it's not possible to change.

Am I looking for a setting that it's not possible to change?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad I made the switch to a dedicated "blue Iris" PC, and I see there are endless possibilities :)
We have sorted out the timestamp when recording direct to disc, but I'm still searching for how to switch from am/pm to 24hr - system vise. The reason is very simple, as this reflects the timeline and other basic feature. I guess I can live with it the way it is, but I find it strange that it's not possible to change.

Am I looking for a setting that it's not possible to change?
Blue iris gets it time from windows. If you set windows to 24h then restart blue iris, the timeline will change to 24h

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again, here fenderman advocates not using BI's overlays. I use them extensively. What is the problem if you have the cycles to spare? I prefer much visual consistency and color coding which BI overlays allow, unlike each camera using a certain font face and some only supporting white. Now if you had all Dahuas, good for you -- I'm sure camera-provided timestamping (as long you synced the cameras) is ok.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, here fenderman advocates not using BI's overlays. I use them extensively. What is the problem if you have the cycles to spare? I prefer much visual consistency and color coding which BI overlays allow, unlike each camera using a certain font face and some only supporting white. Now if you had all Dahuas, good for you -- I'm sure camera-provided timestamping (as long you synced the cameras) is ok.
Simple you're wasting significant amounts of power but more importantly when Blue Iris reencodes it will degrade the image, not by a lot but it does.
Additionally, if you use cameras that have SD card recording for backup which many do, you will need the camera timestamp for that recording. So the different fonts will still be there. I'm sorry I can't help you with your OCD. There are medical forums that may be able to help.

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need lots of Mental help! Heh. I guess I like the look of them, and hey, I use Blue Iris Tools too! Not much sense in using BIT (okay, some) if you don't enable overlays. I'll do D2D once my overhead gets high from too many cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need lots of Mental help! Heh. I guess I like the look of them, and hey, I use Blue Iris Tools too! Not much sense in using BIT (okay, some) if you don't enable overlays. I'll do D2D once my overhead gets high from too many cameras.
You are correct about needing help. First of all the purpose of bit is not overlays, however even if you want to make full use of the overlay function you would not want to do it every single camera. It's important to think a bit before rambling on like a fool.