Amazon Cloud Cam question out of curiosity

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So my wife works for a small business with a home office. She's been working there for a bit over 20 years.. watched their children grow up, etc.

The owner, very wealthy and a bit of a ditz, had some security company come out and install what my wife is calling "Amazon cameras". I know nothing about these. Google calls them "Amazon Cloud Cams"

So anyhow, my wife says her boss can see the yard, dogs, etc from anywhere.. pretty cool, and a nice layer of security. So I made the comment that wifi cams tend to suck up wifi bandwidth and have a host of other issues. She says "oh no, they don't use the internet"... No cables going to them, no antenna's, and they don't use the internet.

If you're shaking your head right about now, you're not alone.. So I'm like: Huh? How do they communicate with "the cloud" and how the hell could she see the cameras on her cell phone without internet.. Wife has no idea.

I can't seem to find any obvious answers with google and I'm thinking its because the answer is SO obvious.. they do use internet.. they have to right? She pays something like $100 a year for having multiple cams.

Communication possibilities: 1) Cameras have cell phones built in.. This would be ridiculously expensive. 2) Cameras use UHF/VHF radio.. This wouldn't go but a couple miles and Amazon would need antenna's everywhere.. they'd need an antenna on just about every 20th telephone pole.. not practical. 3) They do use the internet, my wife just doesn't understand that. 4) Amazon has discovered Sub-Space communications.

Am I missing something? Safe bet to pick #3 or is there a method I'm not considering?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best as I can see from their installation troubleshooting guide, these connect via your 2.5 GHz WiFi - no 5 GHz.

I was hoping it used Ansibel or Interocitor technology, but I guess not at this price.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are ring cameras and they use Wi-Fi and Internet complete garbage
LOL.. Oh ya.. I'm a newbie and even I could figure out they're junk. I fear any camera that won't tell you its sensor size, max aperture size, and lux ratings.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of video's here and on the net that shows how worthless Ring is in ID'ing faces.
Garbage in=Garbage out.