Amcrest AD410: at a loss, how to make an intercom display in my bedroom?

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the AD410 doorbell and it works great for the most part, but I have been unsuccessful in getting it linked to Alexa for the live feed. It worked briefly the first time I set it up on the Echo Show 8 (in my bedroom) and then randomly stopped working with the message "Something went wrong" anyway I found the Echo Show 8's display too bright so I bought a 2023 release Echo Show 5 and tried to link with that. It gives the same message "Something went wrong" but I do get doorbell press announcements, so the link somehow works!

The other thing I thought about, was maybe a cheap 7" display I can hook the RTSP stream to over wifi, to view the doorbell feed? But I have been unsuccessful in finding if such a device exists.

I've been using the Amcrest Smart Home skill which links from app.zencamcloud.com as I can't link to the official Amcrest Cloud service because my serial number is 13 digits long and the service expects an 18 digit serial number.

Amcrest have not responded to these issues when I submitted an RMA (I am just inside the year warranty) I have been hearing that later revisions have been better, but I really don't know. I haven't sent it back yet, because I am hopping someone has had more success and I can try something else.

Things I have tried but did not work:
  • Setting the video feed to 1080p in the Amcrest Smarthome app (didn't make a difference)
  • Setting the main stream to 1080p via my Synology Surveillance Station
  • Linking the cam via Generic RTSP in Amcrest Cloud (which says successful but never shows a live stream, even when I reduce the bitrate lower than 1280)
  • Deregistered Echo Show 5 and set it up as new
  • Set my WiFi to 2.4GHz only band (mine is "Smart WiFi" that combines the same SSID/pass over 2.4 and 5GHz with devices allowed to connect to the strongest point in the Deco M4 Mesh network)
  • Tried to link via Monocle using all of the suggested tricks (noaudio, channel 0, or 1 DIGEST, BASIC etc) Example: rtsp:/<IP>:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
  • Tried to link with Monocle as with above, but with a Monocle Gateway installed via Docker on DS923+ (with @tunnel, @proxy)
I also have this tool: (Amcrest IP config) and tried lowering the main stream to 1080p (now reset back to default)

SNAG-0001.png

Firmware version:
Screenshot_20230907_095112_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg

Wondering if anyone has some tips on how to proceed?

All I want is a feed upstairs in my bedroom, it's one of the reasons I bought a video doorbell, as I do not take my phone to bed with me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This reddit user says he's streaming to Blue Iris via RTSP successfully after fixing his Wi-Fi issues. You should be able to use that same URL with VLC running on an iPad or Android tablet, Fire TV or even Google TV O/S.

Be sure to put 2 "/" after "RTSP:", as the forum won't display 2 consecutively.

Code:
rtsp:/Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&authbasic=64

Last edited:

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
This reddit user says he's streaming to Blue Iris via RTSP successfully after fixing his Wi-Fi issues. You should be able to use that same URL with VLC running on an iPad or Android tablet, Fire TV or even Google TV O/S.

Be sure to put 2 "/" after "RTSP:", as the forum won't display 2 consecutively.

Code:
rtsp:/Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&authbasic=64
This was my current URL in MonocleCam rtsp:/192.168.178.24:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

I tried that one with just &authbasic=64 and it didn't work. The RTSP works in VLC just fine, but not in Alexa.

I might have to invest in a 7" tablet, but I need to find one that doesn't take a minute or longer to start up. Imagine hearing the doorbell and waiting for a tablet to power up and then open the app? I can use DSCAM or the Amcrest app in an Android tablet, I know this, but it is not ideal as a on demand intercom device.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, not sure if Amcrest App has an Encrypted Video option/setting for the Doorbell but we had to turn that off on our Hikvision DB1 in order for Echo Show or Google Display to receive video...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure the Doorbell is supported? Just because there is a skill for Amcrest cameras it does not mean the Doorbell is included, we found that out with our Hikvision DB, we also found out it was firmware specific. Actually in our case since many companies rebranded the DB only certain companies paid for the Google/Alexa support.

Anyway, in my quick search I found this:

Unfortunately there is no Google Home or Alexa support here, at least not officially, however Home Assistant fans rejoice! The Amcrest AD410 works with the official Amcrest integration to give you the live feed as well as motion tracking, and via a community made integration called Amcrest2mqtt you can get everything working including the motion detection, person detection and the button presses which is excellent! Since it’s available through Home Assistant, you could then also make it available to Alexa and Google Home in theory, but haven’t yet tried it.

The article is from a few years ago so not sure if anything changed.

I know what we found is if there is Google/Alexa support for a Doorbell or Camera, companies make sure they advertise it since they have to pay for the cloud services...

You will see what I am talking about in our Alex/Google Tips in our Doorbell 101

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I might have to invest in a 7" tablet, but I need to find one that doesn't take a minute or longer to start up. Imagine hearing the doorbell and waiting for a tablet to power up and then open the app?
I have no IPCT links on my fingertips at the moment but I'm fairly certain there are more threads regarding decent tablet displays for use such as yours.

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no IPCT links on my fingertips at the moment but I'm fairly certain there are more threads regarding decent tablet displays for use such as yours.
Thanks I'd appreciate it.

I did install HA on my Synology and get the Live Feed going, but I came across something that required me to pay for a cloud subscription or something, maybe I was mistaken.

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried HA, HACS, Dahua.. I'm doneee :wave: I am going to RMA it. If I can't get the replacement working with Alexa I will look for something else.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tried HA, HACS, Dahua.. I'm doneee :wave: I am going to RMA it. If I can't get the replacement working with Alexa I will look for something else.
Just an FYI should you wind up "in the market" again for a video doorbell that can stream to VLC and Blue Iris and according to this below, display on Echo Show, Fire TV's and interface well with Alexa...it's a Reolink Video doorbell:

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an FYI should you wind up "in the market" again for a video doorbell that can stream to VLC and Blue Iris and according to this below, display on Echo Show, Fire TV's and interface well with Alexa...it's a Reolink Video doorbell:

Yeah I can pick it up for about €120 here in The Netherlands. I think I'll do that and sell the AD410 replacement on eBay or something.

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I like this video:
Thanks for that. So I can't get the Reolink WiFi version and connect to my existing wires and chime setup? The above video says it doesn't work with chimes.

In that case it might make sense to get the POE version and the POE injector, this is what I found:

€21.90
€109 (with €20 voucher) = €130.90

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for that. So I can't get the Reolink WiFi version and connect to my existing wires and chime setup? The above video says it doesn't work with chimes.

In that case it might make sense to get the POE version and the POE injector, this is what I found:

€21.90
€109 (with €20 voucher) = €130.90
Natively you are correct, it comes with it's own Chime. But there are ways you can use your existing Chime but it is not Plug n Play, you can search this Forum/Thread or even Reddit for solutions. What most people have found, including myself, the Chime that comes with the Reolink is a good replacement for our existing Chimes, it is loud enough but can also be adjusted, plus you can move it to many other locations, I had mine closer to the back door so we could hear it out back. The Doorbell's Chime is also loud enough for us too, so you are actually starting out with two Chimes.

@fenderman found these Chimes work with the Reolink DB if you need any additional Chimes, like for upstairs second floor.

As far as how the two versions work, the WiFi version gets it's power from your existing doorbell wiring/transformer. You can disconnect or bypass your existing Chime, the Doorbell comes with the wires to do that. The WiFi version also has wired Ethernet but just not POE, so one could connect the Doorbell via the wired Ethernet port to a non POE switch/router instead of using the WiFi, you just can't use both NICs at the same time, that we are aware of. Lastly, the WiFi version comes with a power supply (power brick) where the POE version does not.

The POE version is the best solution if you want a solid and secure video feed. If running an Ethernet cable to your existing Doorbell location is not a problem then this would be our recommendation. It is not that the WiFi version does not work good, I did many different test and it seemed to hold up very well for me and others but not everyone has an ideal placement to where the WiFi signal works for them.

Oh FYI, here is the Thread for the Reolink Doorbell on this Forum:

HTH

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the POE version, so that means there is no possibility to add my existing chime to it, because the doorbell wires would be completely bypassed with POE.

Plus, the only reason I am doing this is to link it to Alexa/Echo.. the Amcrest AD410 has an option to announce when the doorbell is pressed, I am guessing that is also with the Reolink, so I think my Echo Show 5 in my bedroom would announce if the doorbell was pressed, so I wouldn;t need an upstairs chime.

The funny thing is that the Amcrest doorbell press announcements work fine, just not the video feed with the Amcrest Smart Home skill.

Edit: It seems there is no announce with Alexa on doorbell press Doorbell chime work with Alexa
Edit 2: There were 2 hidden replies that say a later firmware now supports Alexa announcements on doorbell pressed, okay....

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would post the Alexa Echo question on the Reolink Thread, someone should chime in if they have theirs working...

There are several ways to still use your existing chime but they usually require a relay and a Z-wave or Zigbee connection to a home automation that would trigger the relay when the doorbell button is pressed. But seems like a lot of trouble to go through in my opinion.

reppin513

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, especially with a switch to reolink. I have a very similar issue, so I hope it is ok I follow up here.

I have been looking to replace a whole home faulty music and sound intercom system, with the intent of reusing the cat5 pull for a poe video intercom replacement. It looks like the reolink poe doorbell and nvr could be a good solution, I believe the reolink security cameras can connect to the nvr via wifi (don't quote me). The part I'm getting hung up on is the screens to be used in the rooms. I'm reading home assistant on a poe android tablet may work. I may also be able to install dahua software. It's very hard to find good information on compatibility, nor have I found an example of anyone attempting this. I'm not sure if I need one main display, with the others being remote connections of the main, or how exactly to configure things for a desired effect. And I read a comment above about boot times being a concern which I hadn't considered really.

In short, I am shooting for one large display, half a dozen small displays, and a video doorbell front and rear (all have cat5 homerun from main display location) to create a video intercom replacing the old intercom system that was there. I have arlo cameras now, but would likely replace them with reolink or similar if that would yield an all inclusive desired result. I also like reolink does not use the cloud in the US. I have zero experience with home assistant.

Attached are a picture of the main display location as well as remote locations to show the poe potential and opening sizes. The main has old power supplies below the covers, so grabbing 120v for the nvr or similar solution is already present once I remove the old supplies.

Thank you very much for any and all feedback, good or bad. I apologize for hijacking a thread. It has been very difficult to find information related to this project. Cheers.

Attachments

sparker

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm reading home assistant on a poe android tablet may work. I may also be able to install dahua software. It's very hard to find good information on compatibility, nor have I found an example of anyone attempting this. I'm not sure if I need one main display, with the others being remote connections of the main, or how exactly to configure things for a desired effect. And I read a comment above about boot times being a concern which I hadn't considered really.
If you are going Reolink POE and tablet(s) in the rooms, then you should just use the Reolink app on the tablet. It is quicker than the Surveillance Station DSCam client.

Also, the Reolink POE works over the Alexa skill, but it (still) takes two tries to see the doorbell feed. You have to say "Alexa show me the front door" and it will error out almost immediately, then you say again "Alexa show me the front door" and it works, but two-way audio is still not supported either. They are aware of these two bugs and are trying to fix them. I have not checked recent firmware since I last looked in September.