Amcrest AD410: at a loss, how to make an intercom display in my bedroom?

reppin513

n3wb
Reaction score
Do the tablets work from the nvr? It looks like something like the hik vision nvr is able to connect monitors via IP, but I'm not sure reolink can. There's only one hdmi out. I'm not sure if this is an issue with every brand or nvr, or if I actually can connect monitors/tablets via rj45 to the nvr. The tablets have the ability to have software installed so maybe it's a not very well documented thing, since monitors generally just display an output, thus hdmi limited. I guess I was thinking a roughly 15" main tablet and 7" remote tablets, but at this point I'd be open to any solution that meets these needs. I guess I was thinking tablets would be a bit more sleek for resale down the road, but I just want something that will work at this point.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know if your NVR has a Web Server? Or better question, does your NVR have remote access? There are several ways to display camera feeds to tablets.

My old setup, I run Blue Iris, it has a Web Server that you can get to get to the cameras via a Web URL:

My tablets (Amazon Fire HD 10 inch) were connected to my network via WiFi, same network my Blue Iris PC was on. Made it easy to get to the Web Page. I ran Action Tiles which was connected originally to Smart Things Hub but later switched to Hubitat Hub. Now I run Home Assistant (Action Tile replacement) but have not setup a Tablet yet since we just moved a few months ago and I am still, slowly, setting my network back up.

To keep the Tablet charged I supplied power to it via USB, I installed a Recessed Outlet Box which I ran power up from lower plug and used a Tablet Mount similar to this one. Used a plug like this USB Outlet.
Actually in this video he bought the mount I used from Etsy.com but looks like Motifs Etc. is no longer selling the 3d mounts. My setup was almost exactly like this guys except I came up with power from an existing lower wall outlet.

Here are some other power options:

1701430588622.png

You could use something like this Convertor for power using your existing wires connected to a power source. I had the Konnected Alarm system in our previous house so I also used the Tablets to Arm/Disarm our system. Had Local Weather on it along with my smart switches and other IoT devices. Will be doing the same in our new home, but several months from now, one switch at a time.

I ran Fully Kiosk which kept Action Tiles up and alive. For a Screen Saver I used the free version of DAKboard which gave me weather and connected to my Google Calendar which displayed up coming events. Actually I had both my wife and my calendar displaying. It was a nice visual when you walked by the Tablet on the way out for work. Oh BTW DAKboard sells their own Tablet, it is huge and quite impressive.1701433271094.png

I know this is alot of info but Tablets are not a plug-n-play solution unless you use a whole priority Alarm/Camera system like ADT and they plug-n-plug for you at a monthly cost locked in for a few years contract :(

HTH

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, @elvisimprsntr !

I just hope it's UL-listed...too many of those receptacles with USB outlets, wall-mounted chargers and wall wart power supplies are NOT. They haven't been tested for current limiting and for combustion-supporting materials . :wtf::headbang:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, @elvisimprsntr !

I just hope it's UL-listed...too many of those receptacles with USB outlets, wall-mounted chargers and wall wart power supplies are NOT. They haven't been tested for current limiting and for combustion-supporting materials . :wtf::headbang:
I believe most are, that is the ones you buy from Home Depot/Lowes, name brands like Leviton. I would steer away from any Amazon sells, that is Market junk items.

Good call, don't need to start any house fires...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In our old house, I decided to leave the Tablet, when we sell the house it should raise an eyebrow for the new owners. Fire Tablets are cheap during Prime Day and Black Friday sales...what I like about the tablets is they are easy to add Google Play Store on.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What Software interface is that?
There are any number of OEM and third party IP camera RTSP apps for Apple and Android.

The apps I use are specific to my Elk Products M1 Gold commercial grade security panel and my Universal Devices Insteon lighting control, which include support for RTSP cameras. I’ve been doing this since 2007.

IMG_2129.jpg
IMG_2130.jpg

I also run a Homebridge instance to get all my legacy non HomeKit compatible devices into the Apple Home ecosystem.

IMG_2128.jpg

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are any number of OEM and third party IP camera RTSP apps for Apple and Android.

The apps I use are specific to my Elk Products M1 Gold commercial grade security panel and my Universal Devices Insteon lighting control, which include support for RTSP cameras. I’ve been doing this since 2007.

View attachment 179040
View attachment 179041

I also run a Homebridge instance to get all my legacy non HomeKit compatible devices into the Apple Home ecosystem.

View attachment 179042
Very nice. I know I am way behind, I set mine up several years ago. I will be coming off of Home Assistant with either their Dashboard or another, or an Android App, probably will just link Blue Iris Web Server for camera feed.

@pete_c has an Elk system too, not sure which one...

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here using an OmniPro 2 system with Home Assistant and Homeseer and Wintel embedded tabletop touchscreens. Camera wise lately its been Amcrest.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here using an OmniPro 2 system with Home Assistant and Homeseer and Wintel embedded tabletop touchscreens. Camera wise lately its been Amcrest.
Guess I was thinking about your Elk Relay...

Dang $2000

$200 for a Konnected system :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Leviton OmniPro 2 panel is not longer being sold. It was much less in cost when it was being sold by Leviton.

Here never used Windows / Android tablets with batteries mounted on walls. I did have a couple of Android POE powered in wall tablets and my tabletops all work via POE.

I only utilize the direct video to panel connects for the OmniProTouch windows software.

reppin513

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Certainly a lot to investigate. I like the integration of weather, security, etc some of you have. I would hope the screens turn off when not touched/in use for a minute, since many are in bedrooms. One of you asked which nvr I bought. I have not purchased anything yet, not until I'm confident in the end result.

A clarifying question. It sounds like I either want an nvr that has a web server, or to use the main tablet as a web server. Does this guarantee tablets can connect via rj45 through the nvr?

I would consider hiring one of you as a consultant if you are around the ohio valley.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Relating to NVRs most folks use software NVRs. Popular is Blue Iris. I utilize a Linux NVR. Software/ Hardware NVRs typically have software clients to manage them.

Wireless / wired clients would have no issues connecting to an NVR. Cameras should be connected via Ethernet and not Wireless.

What you see above is bridging between CCTV, Security and Automation which is easy baby steps wise.

Each of the above entities should be able to work without the other (no dependencies) and with the other for integration.

Personally I call the automation software the "mothership" and it connects to security and CCTV fine. The mothership does not manage security or CCTV.

The mothership does offer a web interface directly to security and CCTV.

Current "mothership" runs on Ubuntu 22.04 with Oracle VB. Runs an Home Assistant VB, Homeseer on host, CumulusMX, Windows Server for MS SAPI speech.

Lately been tinkering with Tasmota firmware WiFi devices that speak MQTT (Home Assistant and Homeseer manage MQTT devices). Also utilize X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave devices.

I also utilize monoclecam and Home Assistant Alexa Media Player for my Alexa devices. Hikvision Doorbell works fine with monoclecam.

BTW Build your own fast video doorbell / intercom on Raspberry Pi

Seajei Developer Guide for Linux

Going to give this a try on my tabletop touchscreens (which run MS, Linux or Android).

Last edited: