Amcrest camera motion detection event not triggering in BI5!

Reaction score
I am trying to configure motion detection triggered by the camera and the event recorded by Blue Iris, and NOT the internal Blue iris motion detection. This way BI doesn't have to crank CPU usage when the camera can trigger a motion alert on its own. I have an Amcrest 8MP PoE outdoor 4K turret camera (IP8M-T2499EW-28MM) and the latest version of Blue Iris 5 (5.3.3.12 x64 10/26/20).

From what I read this camera uses the 'ONVIF' standard that permits it to transmit events like motion detection to interested clients. I have added the camera in BI5 and while both video and audio streams in 4K work fine, the motion detection event/trigger does NOT. I get e-mails from my camera (per settings to email on detect, see below) noting that a detection occurred, but Blue Iris does not have any triggered events!

My configuration is:

---------------------------------------------

On the Amcrest camera:

I have the following settings under "Event" -> "Video Detection":
Motion Detection: ENABLED, schedule is always on, multiple detection areas. I have it set to send an email while record/snapshot is disabled as I do not have a micro-SD card installed (yet).

Blue Iris:

in Blue Iris' "Network IP Camera Configuration" for the camera:
I have "Get ONVIF Trigger Events" enabled; make "Amcrest", Model "ProHD/IP2/3/4/4M Main Stream RTSP" (is this the right model info? does it matter in this case?); the Discovery/ONVIF port is the main web port (80) and the RTSP port is 554.

in Blue Iris "Trigger" for the camera:
"Motion Sensor" is disabled (this is Blue Iris', correct?);
"Camera's Digital Input or Motion Alarm" is enabled; "Trigger until reset" enabled;
When Triggered: "Capture an alert list image" and "store alert images in hi-res files" are enabled, everything else is not clicked/ticked/enabled;
End trigger time is 15.0 sec;

-------------------------------------------

Is there something I'm missing here? Shouldn't there be the motion alert events being received by Blue Iris - they're being sent to my email by the camera itself so BI should be getting them? - and, when it triggers, recordings under 'events' made? Is there some other setting I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Brendan

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In BI I would try deleting then re-adding cam but this time put in cam IP, username and password then let BI "Find/Inspect", it will likely set up cam type as "Generic/ONVIF" (not as Amcrest as you had it) and then you can again check "Get ONVIF trigger events".

EDIT: Also insure that ONVIF enabled in the camera under "Connections" tab.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In BI I would try deleting then re-adding cam but this time put in cam IP, username and password then let BI "Find/Inspect", it will likely set up cam type as "Generic/ONVIF" (not as Amcrest as you had it) and then you can again check "Get ONVIF trigger events".

EDIT: Also insure that ONVIF enabled in the camera under "Connections" tab.
Using Find/Inspect it set up as Generic ONVIF with "RTSP H264/265/MJPEG/MPEG4". I enabled "Get ONVIF trigger events" and have "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" / "Trigger until reset". It is still not triggering any kind of event. I cannot find a "Connections" tab with the exception of one under "Status", but there is no ONVIF column there.

What's going on here.. ?
:/

Reaction score
I apparently wasn't receiving ONVIF information because the default user of 'admin', despite having access to all roles and options, was NOT able to receive ONVIF events nor to properly probe for ONVIF values. I discovered this via the 'ONVIF Device Manager' tool; it was reporting unable to login as anonymous. I added a new user, 'blueiris', with administrative privileges and all options checked and proceeded to use Find/Inspect when re-adding the camera. It has now successfully detected the manufacturer, model, ONVIF and imaging/media URL endpoints etc. I am going to assume this was my problem and that triggers will now work. I will report back if not.

HOWEVER, something I am finding strange in both the output of Find/inspect and the third-party ONVIF Device Manager software is that the time/date on the camera is apparently set to UTC and it believes it's midnight on the next day (the 3rd of November). I have timezone set, NTP, DST etc. in the camera's configuration. Not sure what to make of that just yet.

UPDATE: ONVIF notifications are working fine but aren't nearly as consistent nor as flexible as BI's motion and audio sensing functionality. I plan now to setup motion on the camera itself solely for recording alerts to the micro-SD card in the camera, while disabling ONVIF motion alerts and having BI react and record to motion it detects. This will allow me to maximize my space usage on the SD card while I can do more fancy continuous & alert recording on my BI PC.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What browser are you using to configure the camera through the GUI? IE, not Edge, Chrome with the IE plug-in, or Pale Moon 32 bit work best.

Last edited:

kzaoaai

n3wb
Reaction score
I had to disable "ONVIF Authentication" for the amcrest cam to allow BI to access events and trigger correctly.
1682068195558.png