Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking at getting a few of these to replace an aging Foscam FI9828P that only uses IE for connectivity.

I've currently got an IP2M-841W-V3 and am pretty happy with it.

Looking for recommendations, thoughts, troubles, better options? Curious how the 102 degree FOV is compared to a PTZ camera. Would I be able to see the Horizon and 45 degrees down?

I understand that this is POE and would need a POE switch to use it if I choose not to plug it into power.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at getting a few of these to replace an aging Foscam FI9828P that only uses IE for connectivity.

I've currently got an IP2M-841W-V3 and am pretty happy with it.

Looking for recommendations, thoughts, troubles, better options? Curious how the 102 degree FOV is compared to a PTZ camera. Would I be able to see the Horizon and 45 degrees down?

I understand that this is POE and would need a POE switch to use it if I choose not to plug it into power.
Hi @jwadsley,

we've had a number of members comment and review the 5MP Amcrest models, iirc most like the 3.6mm version better for most setups - Amcrest seems to carry more often the 2.8mm version, seems that customers want the wider version more often I am guessing, which imho is a mistake for most positions )

Search the forum for these 2 turret Amcrest models

IP5M-T1179EW-28MM ( 2.8mm lens ; wider FOV ; shorter ID distance - see DORI section in the cliff notes )
and
IP5M-T1179EW-36MM ( 3.6mm lens ; narrower FOV vs 2.8mm ; longer ID distance .. )

note the bullet models should perform similarly

PTZ camera very different, and a good outdoor rated entry level model PTZ will run you 5-8x more than the affordable $50-55 5MP Amcrest camera

Yes, you will need a PoE power source, most of us prefer PoE switches when setting up more than 1 camera ..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me.

What is the ID all about?

I would think I would want a wider field of view, unless the ID does something I'm missing....

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me.

What is the ID all about?

I would think I would want a wider field of view, unless the ID does something I'm missing....
He's talking about DORI: the distances for a given lens to Detect, Observe, Recognize, and Identify. A 2.8 mm lens has a VERY short distance for the I-- Identify.

I have 2 of the Amcrest cams right now. I use them only as an overview of the areas they cover. One of them has been moved indoors due to a failure of the POE circuitry in the cam-- no idea what happened with that other than it occurred during a thunderstorm when it took a :poop:. I revived it with a 12v power supply running it instead of POE. They are decent for the money, but don't expect too much from them. :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have three of them....each one located in a laundry room at a 3 story condo. They can stay color when people turn off the light. with just the hallway light being enough to see.
I have 2 of them doing that. and one is switching to IR just because.....I'm seeing how IDing people goes with IR....on or off. built in Audio works nice right out of the box....on Blue Iris. Easy for a determined individual to dismount from the a wall or ceiling with the little plastic push tab. If you need a higher level of " hard to vandalize/screw with" The Loryta or EmpireTech cams that use a Torx or allen to fasten down maybe a better option.Screenshot 2021-07-11 215119.pngScreenshot 2021-07-14 120859.png

Last edited:

CarlosBarletta

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello There,

There is always a fine line with the transition of light that will turn on and off the IR Lights for Night Vision. In critical areas we have users who install motion sensor lighting this way the cameras will always record and or Live View in Color. Amcrest Team

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have three of them....each one located in a laundry room at a 3 story condo. They can stay color when people turn off the light. with just the hallway light being enough to see.
I have 2 of them doing that. and one is switching to IR just because.....I'm seeing how IDing people goes with IR....on or off. built in Audio works nice right out of the box....on Blue Iris. Easy for a determined individual to dismount from the a wall or ceiling with the little plastic push tab. If you need a higher level of " hard to vandalize/screw with" The Loryta or EmpireTech cams that use a Torx or allen to fasten down maybe a better option.View attachment 94958
Is this the 3.6 or the 2.8 version?