Amcrest nightnision help - wirelss dome camera

jaybee_1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchase an Amcrest ProHD Outdoor Wi-Fi "Dome" style camera (model IP3M-956W), and am having no lucking getting the night vision to function properly. I have a bullet style Amcrest and the night vision is phenomenal, but the dome style camera isn't even one tenth as good. It almost looks like the lens / dome is foggy, but I've tried cleaning both (to no avail). I've spoken with Amcrest support and tried messing with the brightness, saturation, etc, in the settings, but nothing made much of an improvement. I've attached a photo of day vs night picture, as you can see its basically worthless at night.

Am I expecting too much from the night vision on a "dome" style camera? My camera is located above my garage door looking down my driveway, I am basically a newb as far as home security goes so I can't speak to operator / positioning error or if this is just "as good as it gets."

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
your IR is lighting up the dome, its too hard an angle and your burring illuminators.. a completely different location/fov might help

domes suck outside, dont ever use em..

bmwproboi05

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you turn off the IR lights and have an external light and see if it looks better? I agree with above. Their is a clear halo effect

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It almost looks like the lens / dome is foggy,
The fog effect is called 'IR Reflection', and is likely a consequence of the positioning of the camera causing bright reflections back to the dome being refracted on to the sensor. It doesn't look like dried dusty raindrops.
A common problem on dome-type IPCs, that do need some care in the positioning.
Plenty of posts on the topic if you try a search (which works pretty well now).