Analog cam to be connected in NVR

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
Instead of using a bunch of these expensive encoders, you can use a dahua xvr, that will allow you to stream to BI and upgrade to 1080p cameras. I would not recommend using blue iris on sites with 100 cams even if they are vga. An enterprise vms is more suitable to that number - setting aside the 64 camera hard limit in BI.
And you are absolutely right here. But as an integrator who came across new platform I want to know its limitations and capabilities. So far I think BI is very capable platform and may be easily deployed in a lot of scenarios even with those that exceed 100 cameras count if hardware is properly designed(the use of two servers). And I also agree with you about XVR only I used HIK product for this purpose by all means I was not talking about deploying 30ty-4-channel encoders to serve the purpose of streaming over a 100 of analog cameras. BI is definitely not a competition to a million dollar brand enterprise solutions but in many cases enterprise is an overkill to many. Many times client asking for the enterprise level solution while only having 1-3 locations with 16-40 cameras and random brands of intrusion and access platform in each of them, question is, do they really need enterprise? NO they don't. At this point such client may get away with 32-64CH Linux shelve unit. In such a case BI would be a superior option over any commonly used Linux-shelve-box unit(unless it's MARCH NETWORKS which is pricey and not available to a "regular mortal" . Any way not trying to start the argument just want to learn more about the platform.

This info in rtsp streams might be useful
Add Avigilon 4-channel encoder model ENC-4P-H264 · Issue #84 · CamioCam/rtsp
as far as onvif, on some cameras it needs to be activated, not sure if that is true on this encoder.
I will look into this case . I can already guess the work around would be to set individual RTSP streams. I will post all the details after successful test in case others have the same issue. Any way I always appreciate your answers. Thank you fenderman.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
seems like the encoder spelled it out (the rtsp:// url) pretty clearly...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And you are absolutely right here. But as an integrator who came across new platform I want to know its limitations and capabilities. So far I think BI is very capable platform and may be easily deployed in a lot of scenarios even with those that exceed 100 cameras count if hardware is properly designed(the use of two servers). And I also agree with you about XVR only I used HIK product for this purpose by all means I was not talking about deploying 30ty-4-channel encoders to serve the purpose of streaming over a 100 of analog cameras. BI is definitely not a competition to a million dollar brand enterprise solutions but in many cases enterprise is an overkill to many. Many times client asking for the enterprise level solution while only having 1-3 locations with 16-40 cameras and random brands of intrusion and access platform in each of them, question is, do they really need enterprise? NO they don't. At this point such client may get away with 32-64CH Linux shelve unit. In such a case BI would be a superior option over any commonly used Linux-shelve-box unit(unless it's MARCH NETWORKS which is pricey and not available to a "regular mortal" . Any way not trying to start the argument just want to learn more about the platform.

I will look into this case . I can already guess the work around would be to set individual RTSP streams. I will post all the details after successful test in case others have the same issue. Any way I always appreciate your answers. Thank you fenderman.
it doesnt matter what hardware you use, when you have to manage many cameras BI is just not the right tool. When you start talking about many high res cameras BI becomes inefficient as well both from a hardware and power consumption standpoint and you are better off putting your money towards something like network optix/DW ipvms at 70 dollars per camera . You are obviously just starting with blue iris, you will encounter issues when you try to setup 40 say 4mp cameras. There are many functions BI has that more expensive software does not, but it is simply not the solution for a 100 camera setup.
You would need individual streams even if you used the onvif protocol.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
it doesnt matter what hardware you use, when you have to manage many cameras BI is just not the right tool. When you start talking about many high res cameras BI becomes inefficient as well both from a hardware and power consumption standpoint and you are better off putting your money towards something like network optix/DW ipvms at 70 dollars per camera . You are obviously just starting with blue iris, you will encounter issues when you try to setup 40 say 4mp cameras. There are many functions BI has that more expensive software does not, but it is simply not the solution for a 100 camera setup.
You would need individual streams even if you used the onvif protocol.
Got it!