Analog Camera over IP network (Decoder ? Any solutions?)

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
At our office we have an existing camera system, 30 cameras...all analog (BNC). There is one camera that was wired during the expansion of the building so it actually runs under a large concrete slab which got cut today.

Needless to say, I have no way of getting that camera wired back up. I wanted to see if there is some kind of encoder or decoder device that will allow me to run that video feed over ethernet and convert back to bnc on the other side so I can plug into the dvr? I have ethernet connectivity on both sides so it would make life much easier. I wouldn't mind having to replace the camera if need be...so I can have an IP Camera that then havs some kind of converter to analog and plugs int the DVR. I'm ok with losing the resolution down to D1. Just need to get the camera wired back up without tearing up and repairing the concrete.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At our office we have an existing camera system, 30 cameras...all analog (BNC). There is one camera that was wired during the expansion of the building so it actually runs under a large concrete slab which got cut today.

Needless to say, I have no way of getting that camera wired back up. I wanted to see if there is some kind of encoder or decoder device that will allow me to run that video feed over ethernet and convert back to bnc on the other side so I can plug into the dvr? I have ethernet connectivity on both sides so it would make life much easier. I wouldn't mind having to replace the camera if need be...so I can have an IP Camera that then havs some kind of converter to analog and plugs int the DVR. I'm ok with losing the resolution down to D1. Just need to get the camera wired back up without tearing up and repairing the concrete.

Any help in the right direction would be appreciated !
do you have a dedicated ethernet cable from the camera location to the dvr? or do you have a networked connection...

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
do you have a dedicated ethernet cable from the camera location to the dvr? or do you have a networked connection...
I don't have a dedicated ethernet cable, just a networked connection unfortunately.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a dedicated ethernet cable, just a networked connection unfortunately.
Consider moving to a hybrid/petabrid type dvr from hikvision or dahua...they are relativity cheap and you can hook all your cams up and slowly begin upgrading your old analog cameras to HD over coax or ip.

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
Consider moving to a hybrid/petabrid type dvr from hikvision or dahua...they are relativity cheap and you can hook all your cams up and slowly begin upgrading your old analog cameras to HD over coax or ip.
Thanks Fenderman, I think that solution will be a tough sell due to the time it would require to setup all the custom alerts, email, accounts with different permissions for all the managers, etc. Plus the cost of the server and software which we'd end up dumping.

I tried searching for something that would do the direct reverse of this : Ethernet over Coax converter, RG59 video cable – Veracity HIGHWIRE

but it seems its just no cost effective to design a product to hold us in the past (technologically)

Perahps I need to ditch the thought of using IP and use something like these little guys : High-Powered Outdoor 2.4 GHz Wireless Transmitter / Receiver

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That slab cut which got the cable's gonna be expensive.
You could use an encoder on the camera end end and a decoder on the DVR end as a sub-$400 solution. I cannot attest to the quality and performance of either of these 2 components.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I think that solution will be a tough sell due to the time it would require to setup all the custom alerts, email, accounts with different permissions for all the managers, etc. Plus the cost of the server and software which we'd end up dumping.

I tried searching for something that would do the direct reverse of this : Ethernet over Coax converter, RG59 video cable – Veracity HIGHWIRE

but it seems its just no cost effective to design a product to hold us in the past (technologically)

Perahps I need to ditch the thought of using IP and use something like these little guys : High-Powered Outdoor 2.4 GHz Wireless Transmitter / Receiver
What server/software are you using now? if your software can accept an rtsp stream there are cheap solutions.
out of curiosity, what is this server/cost that you are dumping that is using old analog d1 cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

The Ethernet over coax is NOT a network solution, only a different cable; it's reverse would not be either.
Wireless presents its own problems.

I'd take @fenderman 's suggestion or consider the encode the analog cam to IP, go over network, then decode to analog for the DVR (as I mentioned).

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
What server/software are you using now? if your software can accept an rtsp stream there are cheap solutions.
out of curiosity, what is this server/cost that you are dumping that is using old analog d1 cameras?
Fenderman, the Server is a custom build in a SuperMicro case that the Boss-Man bought for $6000 for this camera install about 7 years ago but he will quote it as if it were yesterday. The cameras connect to GeoVision cards with octopus dongles sticking out of the back. So when I say Server/Software I mean the money sunk into the hardware...which by today's standards isn't worth a whole lot but you have to convince the boss of that.

The Ethernet over coax is NOT a network solution, only a different cable; it's reverse would not be either.
Wireless presents its own problems.

I'd take @fenderman 's suggestion or consider the encode the analog cam to IP, go over network, then decode to analog for the DVR (as I mentioned).
TonyR, i'm definitely interested in the Encode/Decode solution, especially if its in the sub $400 range. Do you happen to have a brand or link to the device you'd recommend?

EDIT : NVM, just saw that you provided that already. Thank you, i'll read up on them

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman, i'm going to take your suggestion and throw it out there, see if it sticks. TonyR, your solution is definitely viable, I need to find out if the encoder device can handle summer heat in a non temp controlled warehouse but I have a feeling i'm going to be going with this solution. Thanks for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, the Server is a custom build in a SuperMicro case that the Boss-Man bought for $6000 for this camera install about 7 years ago but he will quote it as if it were yesterday. The cameras connect to GeoVision cards with octopus dongles sticking out of the back. So when I say Server/Software I mean the money sunk into the hardware...which by today's standards isn't worth a whole lot but you have to convince the boss of that.

TonyR, i'm definitely interested in the Encode/Decode solution, especially if its in the sub $400 range. Do you happen to have a brand or link to the device you'd recommend?

EDIT : NVM, just saw that you provided that already. Thank you, i'll read up on them
consider the operating costs of that old server...
if it can receive an rtsp stream you can simply use an ip camera. Check the vms software on the machine, are you certain it wont work with ip cameras?
Show him 1080p video vs d1.

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
consider the operating costs of that old server...
if it can receive an rtsp stream you can simply use an ip camera. Check the vms software on the machine, are you certain it wont work with ip cameras?
Show him 1080p video vs d1.
I'll check tomorrow and see if it can take an RTSP stream, that would certainly simplify things. I know it doesn't work with IP cameras but don't know about the RTSP stream. I've bought a boatload of Hikvision stuff for another project so I know there is a night and day difference between the D1 we use and 1080p its just that some people are open minded and understand the value of new tech and some people like to hang on to their Craftsman riding mowers while they watch Sears wither away into bankruptcy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll check tomorrow and see if it can take an RTSP stream, that would certainly simplify things. I know it doesn't work with IP cameras but don't know about the RTSP stream. I've bought a boatload of Hikvision stuff for another project so I know there is a night and day difference between the D1 we use and 1080p its just that some people are open minded and understand the value of new tech and some people like to hang on to their Craftsman riding mowers while they watch Sears wither away into bankruptcy.
ip cameras send rtsp streams...