Analyze FPS limit like in ZM?

Reaction score
I believe I just answered my own question with that little blurb of text! I think what I want isn't possible with the video engine on BI. The image engine in ZM that gives it all that flexibility is also how it's doing stuff BI can't. I'm now thinking that BI just can't do this with out manipulating video on the fly. While ZM just picks & chooses what frames to use for this or that. :-o

Oh! guess I lied... another big update soon, ZM 1.30 is a RC now. Huge list of new features.
https://github.com/ZoneMinder/ZoneMinder/releases

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the framerate limiting compatibility mode, it made the samsung cameras skip around & ghost really badly & slowly get like way behind till it what I'm guessing is catching an iframe & makes a huge jump forward. If not, what setting are you talking about?

The arguing about nothing part:

1- Yes they have more settings. Does that really make the samsung cameras so bad that I should eat the cost of them tho? I don't think so. I did actually pay over $800 for them, what you think they're worth is moot.

2- I told you the specs. "128 degree ultra-wide angle" vs "100 degree viewing angle" From the very links I posted before covering the prices of both cams. So yes... I bothered looking at the specs. If they are using diagonal instead of horizontal... it is wider than the cameras I had previously, so I've never noticed. Still not worth the hassle of taking them down & selling them. They do produce really nice images & I'm not throwing more money at this project.

3- Other things are important too, is so true! Things like cpu use comes to mind & oddly the topic I'm trying to be on, but sure lets go down that rabbit hole. You seem to have never used ZM by the things you're saying. ZM has crazy flexible features that BI can't even come close to. ZM hasn't even been updated much as far as features are concerned, but BI is still catching up to it's features.

So... just off the top of my head:
ZM has mobile apps like ZMNinja that can do crazy things like a montage view to watch all the recordings at once. It's actually more useful than the BI android app with some of it's features. I wouldn't call that terrible! It's really similar to the BI app, it just has some extra features that are pretty cool, not to mention really useful.

BI has a limit of 7 zones & 1 hot zone per cam vs no limit I've found of zones in ZM.

BI's zones aren't configurable other than shape & size vs ZM has each zone set independently of each other or you can link them to work together from each other or mix & match.

BI has 2 sliders for size & contrast, 1 setting for how long movement is detected, 1 setting for how long with a few tweaks that effects the whole camera vs ZM sets this in each zone independently. You control it down to single digit pixels or have major deference or have a mix of the 2 & anything in between. ZM sets the way each zone detects motion independently too & for how long. It even has zones to ignore areas & the like. These make trees & stuff super easy to deal with & lets you set up some pretty crazy setups. I've even gone crazy with 20+ zones at one point on a cam overly fine tuning it.

BI seems to have added a new feature lately for trigger if something goes from one zone to another vs ZM has always had this for as long as I can remember & you can set each one's setting complacently independent from one another as I've said before.

BI has some setting that don't seem to work with all cameras such as my own. ZM lets you limit the camera's analyze fps, cutting down on cpu on any source while still letting you independently set the recorded fps even if they don't match. You can also set the viewed fps for apps & such per camera.

BI has a few addons for it's overlays but in ZM you can use overlays with out restrictions of only if you don't use this or that feature.

All the rest of the features in BI... ZM has too. Just not sound. Again, it's a different engine using images instead of recording video & on a different OS. Hate on ZM all ya want. Even with out a lot of updates, BI is still catching up to a lot of it's features. Lets not forget it's free too!

4- You think that little comment is a backhanded insult? It was in response to you telling me I was wrong on what I paid for my cameras & telling me they suck & they aren't worth but $80 for some reason & that I should sell them out of the blue & off topic. Really?? Who was insulting who here? I was genuinely curious as to why you'd argue what I did actually pay for something.

While still not even close to being helpful or on topic. You then told me the price was irrelevant after I linked the current price. All while telling me that I'm missing the point of how I should just sell everything & completely ignore what I've spent on it as the right thing to do. All while managing to fit in little things of how wrong I am for using the hardware I do or the flat out hate for ZM for what ever reason that doesn't even seem to be founded on anything by what you've said about ZM.

Even with all that... what ever! I'm still just looking for a solution. Nothing I said was meant to be insulting & I was watching tv while typing it up so if I was, it wasn't intentional. Hadn't really given it much thought other than why you hate ZM or if you have stock in that camera. *shrug*

I think I bought BI around the time 4 came out. Release 4.3.9.5 x64. Support has expired I believe & why I thought coming here for help would be helpful.
1. I guess I have to do what your fifth grade teacher failed to do. Basic economics dictates that loss is not measured by what you paid for an item rather the replacement cost with a comparable or better item. Its not 800. At most, 450 from which you can subtract anything you sell you samsung cams. Even at 50 each that will leave the cost at 250.
2. You are mistreading the specs. 128 diagonal. 111 horizontal. Go to the samsung website. How difficult is it to distinguish horizontal from diagonal?
3. Once again, there motion detection is but one aspect of a vms. Contrary to your position, blue iris can block out areas where not motion will be detected. If you need more than 7 zones then something is really wrong.
Most of my blue iris machines hover at 20 percent cpu. With many cams attached. I get my modern haswell machines for under 300 dollars.
You paid for an obviously want audio. You obviously did not consider a vms before buying the cams nor did any extensive research other than look at amazon reviews. The cameras are neutered by samsung and are garbage.
A vms that saves video as jpegs and does not support audio is a joke.
Another bash suggesting that I have stock in hikvision/laview. Then you get insulted....Do more research next time before buying a camera.

Reaction score
1. To put this point to bed once & for all. I am NOT selling my cameras just to get lower cpu use on BI! You seem to be missing that point. Again NOT SELLING CAMS! You can call my cams names all you want but NOT SELLING CAMS!

2. I bought them like 2 years ago & already said if that's the case I didn't notice it but sure... argue about that more. I obviously should have checked multiple sites just to prove a point on here. I even added another NOT SELLING CAMS in there too.

3. Out of all that, that's what you got out of it? BI can block out areas & basically to many options are bad. Love it! Never change! & well.. cuz... NOT SELLING CAMS!! Oh & I have a camera pointed at a bat house with trees behind it that sways with wind... more than 7 zones! Guessing I'm doing it wrong.

You obviously know what I want & what I have done more than I do. Makes perfect sense... I just didn't realize I cared so deeply about audio. Now I know.

Can you point to a doll & tell me where ZM touched you? Did I mention.. NOT SELLING CAMS! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1. To put this point to bed once & for all. I am NOT selling my cameras just to get lower cpu use on BI! You seem to be missing that point. Again NOT SELLING CAMS! You can call my cams names all you want but NOT SELLING CAMS!

2. I bought them like 2 years ago & already said if that's the case I didn't notice it but sure... argue about that more. I obviously should have checked multiple sites just to prove a point on here. I even added another NOT SELLING CAMS in there too.

3. Out of all that, that's what you got out of it? BI can block out areas & basically to many options are bad. Love it! Never change! & well.. cuz... NOT SELLING CAMS!! Oh & I have a camera pointed at a bat house with trees behind it that sways with wind... more than 7 zones! Guessing I'm doing it wrong.

You obviously know what I want & what I have done more than I do. Makes perfect sense... I just didn't realize I cared so deeply about audio. Now I know.

Can you point to a doll & tell me where ZM touched you? Did I mention.. NOT SELLING CAMS! :)
Seems like you are having a meltdown. I suggest selling your cams. Next time do some research...