Ancient Machead from the 52nd state

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A plausible option for you MIGHT be Synology Surveillance Station. It’s quirky from what little I’ve read and it’ll be cheaper than hiring a full time security guard, but it’s costly. I prefer BI.​

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A plausible option for you MIGHT be Synology Surveillance Station. It’s quirky from what little I’ve read and it’ll be cheaper than hiring a full time security guard, but it’s costly. I prefer BI.​
Thanks, I'll take a good look at it - although at first glance it also uses a web interface which I would like to avoid. And if the Dahua Mac software has been updated recently and is now fit for purpose, I won't need any workarounds. And if all else fails, I will go the Reolink route as I know from experience that their Mac desktop software works just fine. Beats me how they manage this when almost every other manufacturer seems to struggle with software for Os X.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But I won't be getting a Windows PC. As I said in my OP, I'm looking for Mac solutions - even if less good than your recommendation. Are there no other Macheads here?

Lol, I am a Mac and Apple guy. I love it! I also hate Windows and swore it off years ago. I now own a dell optiplex solely for blue iris. It’s all that it is used for and has been worth it for me to bring Windows into my house. It stays isolated from my other network so I don’t worry so much. And win 10 pro isn’t all that bad. Also been good for me to get back to knowing Windows again just for the hell of it.

But yeah I am a Machead and I know exactly how you feel right now about it. I promise you though blue iris will make you feel better lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lol, I am a Mac and Apple guy. I love it! I also hate Windows and swore it off years ago. I now own a dell optiplex solely for blue iris. It’s all that it is used for and has been worth it for me to bring Windows into my house. It stays isolated from my other network so I don’t worry so much. And win 10 pro isn’t all that bad. Also been good for me to get back to knowing Windows again just for the hell of it.

But yeah I am a Machead and I know exactly how you feel right now about it. I promise you though blue iris will make you feel better lol.
:wave: Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you tell me what were the problems that drove you to the dark side? I won't be following suit but maybe I would have to if I were primarily worried about protecting my property. But you never know, perhaps Apple's new Os (Catalina) signals the start of cross-platform compatibility. It definitely makes it possible to write IOS apps which can be run on MacOs so if the Chinese camera firms are going to continue developing IOS software, it will be a small step to port it to MacOs.

I'm beginning to realise that this is essentially a Blue Iris forum.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
:wave: Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you tell me what were the problems that drove you to the dark side? I won't be following suit but maybe I would have to if I were primarily worried about protecting my property. But you never know, perhaps Apple's new Os (Catalina) signals the start of cross-platform compatibility. It definitely makes it possible to write IOS apps which can be run on MacOs so if the Chinese camera firms are going to continue developing IOS software, it will be a small step to port it to MacOs.

I'm beginning to realise that this is essentially a Blue Iris forum.

Yeah, I looked and looked at gear and software. I had decided I didn’t want to run all my cameras on my mac and bog it down and buying another Mac just for that wasn’t really feasible. If I was just messing with a camera or 2 I probably would have tried using my Mac. I looked at a NVR and kind of talked myself out of that because it just wasn’t going to do it for me. The more I looked at and studied blue iris I decided that’s what I wanted. So I had a computer geek buddy of mine find a used dell optiplex. He went through it cleaned it up, new thermal paste on the processor, added caddy and hardrive and put blue iris on it for me. Haven’t regretted it since. My other Mac head friend has been rolling his eyes at me lol. I’ve actually enjoyed having multiple platforms in my house. Going to get chrome book built and possibly a hackentosh now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I looked and looked at gear and software. I had decided I didn’t want to run all my cameras on my mac and bog it down and buying another Mac just for that wasn’t really feasible. If I was just messing with a camera or 2 I probably would have tried using my Mac. I looked at a NVR and kind of talked myself out of that because it just wasn’t going to do it for me. The more I looked at and studied blue iris I decided that’s what I wanted. So I had a computer geek buddy of mine find a used dell optiplex. He went through it cleaned it up, new thermal paste on the processor, added caddy and hardrive and put blue iris on it for me. Haven’t regretted it since. My other Mac head friend has been rolling his eyes at me lol. I’ve actually enjoyed having multiple platforms in my house. Going to get chrome book built and possibly a hackentosh now.
Thanks. What specific features/functions were you unable to access via NVR on your Mac? Were you using your system manufacturer's Mac software or did you try any of the third-party Mac apps such as Security Spy, Sighthound, etc?