Android app - flashing video, or crashing/freezing

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a cheap 10" Android tablet from Walmart for the sole purpose of using it as a blue iris client for my baby's room. However, the app sucks - crashes, video flickers black constantly, and will sometimes freeze-I'll look over and the time and video is stopped hours ago.

Is this the general app experience for people or would it be because the performance of the tablet just sucks? Should I buy a better tablet or just ignore the BI app completely? Other apps seem to skip time- 3 to 5 seconds between frames sometimes, so I'm guessing that's just the tablet there?

Thanks!

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I may try the new HD Fire 8. Should be a lot faster and a cheap BI tablet.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a cheap 10" Android tablet from Walmart for the sole purpose of using it as a blue iris client for my baby's room. However, the app sucks - crashes, video flickers black constantly, and will sometimes freeze-I'll look over and the time and video is stopped hours ago.

Is this the general app experience for people or would it be because the performance of the tablet just sucks? Should I buy a better tablet or just ignore the BI app completely? Other apps seem to skip time- 3 to 5 seconds between frames sometimes, so I'm guessing that's just the tablet there?

Thanks!
I have many cheap tablets mounted on the wall used for BI and home automation never had a problem with BI on any of them. I would try to factory reset your tablet reload BI and try again. If it don't work return the tablet,remember when you facorty reset, to only load the BI app ,and see what happens.

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope. Just bought a new Amazon Fire 8 tablet - installed BI, and this crashes when I hit the settings button just like my old tablet. The app just sucks.

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
Screen flickers black every few seconds, and video will randomly freeze. iPhone and iPad work flawlessly.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck using the Android app for extended periods over wifi. Works fine hard wired.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again use it for android Samsung galaxy 7 and 6 note 5 and several android tablets no problems here maybe I'm just lucky

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Just bought a new Amazon Fire 8 tablet - installed BI, and this crashes when I hit the settings button just like my old tablet. The app just sucks.
That is not the case. . Works just fine on my android phones...Make sure the Amazon store is not using an old version. You are testing with sub par hardware...

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
How is an Amazon HD Fire 8 subpar hardware? It's a 1.3ghz quad core, 1.5GB of ram tablet. Everything else runs just fine on it. I downloaded it directly from the Google Play store. The screen will start flashing/going black and then back to video constantly. I've tried this with 2 different tablets so far. Tinycam works great - Blue Iris runs like garbage on it. You can't tell me it's my hardware, and justify that with saying yours works fine - that's not proof that the software isn't coded poorly. It may work fine on YOUR devices, but what specs are required to not have poor performance then?

Go look at recent reviews on the play store for the app. Lots of low reviews stating performance issues. I'm not the only one.

camjam

n3wb
Reaction score
I use it on my Samsung S6. Works flawlessly even over the mobile network.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How is an Amazon HD Fire 8 subpar hardware? It's a 1.3ghz quad core, 1.5GB of ram tablet. Everything else runs just fine on it. I downloaded it directly from the Google Play store. The screen will start flashing/going black and then back to video constantly. I've tried this with 2 different tablets so far. Tinycam works great - Blue Iris runs like garbage on it. You can't tell me it's my hardware, and justify that with saying yours works fine - that's not proof that the software isn't coded poorly. It may work fine on YOUR devices, but what specs are required to not have poor performance then?

Go look at recent reviews on the play store for the app. Lots of low reviews stating performance issues. I'm not the only one.
yes, its a garbage app but EVERYONE else here is telling you it runs fine on their units....maybe its just the user.....perhaps a different vms is in order for you. Perhaps its a network issue. The reviews on the play store seem to only reflect an issue with moto pure...ill venture to say its some crap motorola added to the phone. Every app in the play store has some negative reviews...what is the overall rating? 4.3....its your hardware...but you are not happy, so look, have you emailed the developer in addition to bitching here? No, or you would have stated as much. So you have yourself to blame. There are many other vms options, start exploring.

Last edited:

Slinkynose

n3wb
Reaction score
I too find this app to be very flaky and sub par. I use it on my GS6, my Nexus 10, and my LG G2 before that. Cameras will not always pull up, alerts will stutter and hang for several seconds. I found this page after searching for forum articles on why the app is so bad. It's not just tocheeba.

camjam, since we are using the app on the same HW, do you have any tips on how to make it perform better? Are there settings on the server side, or on my router that need to be configured a certain way? I run a plex server and have none of the issues with stuttering playback or access that I do with Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I too find this app to be very flaky and sub par. I use it on my GS6, my Nexus 10, and my LG G2 before that. Cameras will not always pull up, alerts will stutter and hang for several seconds. I found this page after searching for forum articles on why the app is so bad. It's not just tocheeba.

camjam, since we are using the app on the same HW, do you have any tips on how to make it perform better? Are there settings on the servekor side, or on my router that need to be configured a certain way? I run a plex server and have none of the issues with stuttering playback or access that I do with Blue Iris.
ok, so its you and him...first thing to look at is your webserver profile settings..

tocheeba

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - I was simply stating what I was having problems with. No need to get offended and start swearing in your replies - don't care if you're staff or not - no need to be a dick about it. I'm not an amateur when it comes to hardware, so if my iOS devices can run it just fine, and Android is giving me errors on the various tablets I've used, then perhaps it's a problem with the Android software? And yes, I've emailed the devs and haven't gotten any response - so don't make assumptions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman - I was simply stating what I was having problems with. No need to get offended and start swearing in your replies - don't care if you're staff or not - no need to be a dick about it. I'm not an amateur when it comes to hardware, so if my iOS devices can run it just fine, and Android is giving me errors on the various tablets I've used, then perhaps it's a problem with the Android software? And yes, I've emailed the devs and haven't gotten any response - so don't make assumptions.
Your attitude is not welcome here. Fuck off, you are banned. No help for you. I dont have to put up with your bullshit attitude. This forum owes you nothing you ungrateful prick. You are proven to be an inept amateur by not even testing the basics.

Last edited: