Android app update

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
there

I'm no longer able to connect to my blue iris machine after the app update on April 26th 3.0.25). I have pixel 4. Is there anybody else who is facing the same problem

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What exact version of BI PC software are you using?

Cor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had the same. on Ipad - webbrowser all worked fine, not on Android.

The only thing I hadn't done is updating Blue iris over a year , and the app updated automatically yesterday. It seems the app is not compatible with the older programm anymore. When I renewed my licence and updated the Blue iris Programm, all worked again.

Cor

cgmaui

n3wb
Reaction score
Same issue, browser worked fine, but it seems the mobile app may have stopped working with v4?

Upgraded to v5 and everything is working again.

Reaction score
Same issue, browser worked fine, but it seems the mobile app may have stopped working with v4?

Upgraded to v5 and everything is working again.
Yeah, looks like they basically screwed everybody who was using v4.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The app does say it needs V5.X....

Don't run auto update of apps and one doesn't get screwed...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like they basically screwed everybody who was using v4.
No it does not work on some few week old versions of bi 5. It's likely a bug, however, even if he intentionally decided to stop supporting Blue Iris 4 it would make total sense. How many years do you think he should keep supporting you for free? Pry open your wallet and spend 30 bucks on an upgrade.

cgmaui

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that for the iOS version? The Android Play Store still says v4 is required in the product description.

signal-2021-04-27-120441.jpeg

Maybe this is an older version? It's marked as 3.0.25 at the moment.

Reaction score
How hard would it be for the app to just recognize the server(s) in the server list are/is v4 and not update? Maybe just give a popup that says "hey, there's a new version, and if you want to use it, then you need v5. If you want to roll the dice with this current app version and v4 then more power to you."? Side note -- it looks like the apk for 2.0.71 no longer works with v4 either, so there's that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How hard would it be for the app to just recognize the server(s) in the server list are/is v4 and not update? Maybe just give a popup that says "hey, there's a new version, and if you want to use it, then you need v5. If you want to roll the dice with this current app version and v4 then more power to you."? Side note -- it looks like the apk for 2.0.71 no longer works with v4 either, so there's that.
Harder than turning off auto update on your end. If spending $30 to upgrade after 3 to 6 years is too much for you perhaps it's time to look at a different VMS. Again it's likely a bug but you haven't bothered to email support. So there's that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Imagine that... bought a v5 key and now it works. Go figure $$$.
Poor baby had to spend $30 after using Blue Iris for 5 years because he didn't want to wait for support to get back to him or couldn't be bothered to email support or wait for another update to fix a possible bug in the app. You are quick to make baseless accusations you're the type of parasite customer that a developer has no use for.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You realize that is a Google Play Store issue...

Heck people not running Blue Iris have bought the Blue Iris app thinking they can then use it with their NVR and then wonder why they cannot see their cameras...that doesn't make it Blue Iris fault because someone bought an app for a product they didn't own...

Last edited:

explorer74

n3wb
Reaction score
Renewing my subscription worked, now to upgrade my other 4 computers.....
I wonder if they do package deals on the support plans

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Renewing my subscription worked, now to upgrade my other 4 computers.....
I wonder if they do package deals on the support plans
No. It's $30 the best value in any VMS other than free

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm glad for this thread. I just noticed the app no longer connected. I was wondering if I'd screwed something up when I reconfigured my network the other day. Was sure I had tested it with BI. I haven't moved from 4 to 5 yet, out of pure laziness (cost has nothing at all to do with it).

Like Fenderman says it may well just be a bug but this issue seems to be the one to get me past my upgrade inertia. Now to research the proper way of upgrading without screwing anything up...

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently access the UI3 on android with my own https dns through a proxy manager.

I've seen so many bad reviews on Google for this bi app.
Am I best sticking with my current set up?
What advantages does it have?