android ip webcam app in blue iris?

eric10k93

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an old Fire 7 Tablet I'd like to view in Blue Iris. I have the server (IP Webcam app) running on the tablet and I can see the camera video.

The app lists both http and rtsp URLs to connect to this stream. I can view it fine in a browser, but Blue Iris doesn't seem to want to load it...
Oddly it seems to load the stream very briefly, but it always crashes stating that the camera can't be found... Is this a problem with the app or Blue Iris? It SEEMS like it must be BI with the issue because the camera app keeps running fine on the tablet and in browser.

I found some old threads about this same app and BI stating to use mjpeg format, but that's from 2014... I don't think the app supported h264 back then, but it does now and it's my understanding that format is much better to use if available.
Anyone have any idea how to get this working in BI?

I'm happy to give any more details needed, just wasn't sure what else might be relevant.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you pay for the Blue Iris app from the app store?

If not, then run the UI3 that is available in Blue Iris - simply type in the IP address of your BI machine followed by :81 and then login using the BI credentials.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have yet to run any camera on a device for more than an 1 hour with out the device over heating. The cameras on mobile devices are major power pigs, which means the make heat. Plus you are running the wifi at the same time.

eric10k93

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you pay for the Blue Iris app from the app store?

If not, then run the UI3 that is available in Blue Iris - simply type in the IP address of your BI machine followed by :81 and then login using the BI credentials.
Yes, I have the BI Android app. That's not the issue. I am having trouble getting a camera stream into BI from a different mobile app, which is the source of the stream.

eric10k93

n3wb
Reaction score
I have yet to run any camera on a device for more than an 1 hour with out the device over heating. The cameras on mobile devices are major power pigs, which means the make heat. Plus you are running the wifi at the same time.
I did this fine in the past with an old phone that definitely got hot but I wasn't running BI at the time. I've had this tablet going fine for a couple of hours with surprisingly little heat.

eric10k93

n3wb
Reaction score
So what is the exact URL you're using in the browser that can 'view it fine'?
So if I just open any browser with address:
then it pulls up a page to view the camera that works for hours without issue.

If I open another app for viewing the camera, like TinyCam, and give it the same address above it loads it as ONVIF.

If I enter that same URL into the "Generic/ONVIF" profile for Blue Iris... It appears to recognize the camera and adds the proper configuration, then it appears to show the camera video for about 1 second before then showing the error "no signal"...

Meanwhile, I'm still viewing the stream just fine via a browser and TinyCam.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you provide a screenshot of BI's camera video config page that shows IP, path, etc.?

I've had IPCam (by SKJM) on an iPhone display a MJPEG stream into BI for hours without a hiccup. The BI config was Generic/ONVIF and MJPEG and the path to the stream was :
Code:
http://iPhone-LAN-IP-address/video.mjpg
That would even play on VLC or Google Chrome for hours. Note that my HTTP port was 80, not 8080 so take that into consideration also.