Another Bird Brain Question

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, now I'm looking for a camera that can mount about eight feet away from a feeder that can focus on the feeder only. So, I'm assuming a vari-focal style that can be zoomed in on the feeder. Also need audio and would prefer to use PoE from the camera ethernet cable and not to wire separate power to the location. Recording isn't really needed but I would like the flexibility of using an NVR at a later point in time. Wiring it directly to my router for access from a pc would be fine.

From what I've read, it looks like I need a camera that accepts a mic level input? It also looks like this option narrows down camera choice dramatically. Not sure why this isn't offered on more cameras. IR isn't a consideration being that the camera really wouldn't be used at night. So, I'm thinking maybe a 4k+ camera might be best to give better definition of the birds? Maybe not?

Would a bullet style camera allow me better flexibility on the mounting position? I've read the disadvantages of a bullet is spider webs and such. This camera would easily be accessed for cleaning if needed. A dome style camera might also work.

Does such a thing exist for what I'm trying to accomplish? Any suggestions on a camera that fits these needs?

Thanks!!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a good amount of Dahua cameras that have microphones built-in if you don’t want to worry about running an external mic (which I think will likely need external power).

A varifocal will allow you to zoom in but I don’t think I’ve read where someone has zoomed in from so close (8 feet away). If I were you I’d read around and make sure there aren’t any focus issues from it being so close. At that close of a range, a non-varifocal 3.6mm fixed-lens might even be a good option.

What will you be mounting the camera to? From my experience, if you’re mounting to something solid and flat, I haven’t found much of an difference in positioning advantages between turrets, bullets and domes. Having said that, I have a zillion turrets and only two domes and one bullet, so I’m not the most experienced with the last two.

As for resolution, I’m thinking from 8ft away... if you go varifocal and zoom in on the birdhouse, even 2MP may be more than enough. To ID a person, the recommendation is to get a camera that will take a picture that has 100+ PPF (pixels per foot) of the person. There are online tools that help you figure out what the PPF for your setup would be based on camera specs and how far away the person will be standing from the camera. If there was a PPF value for birds it would be easy to figure out what camera specs would be required!

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your input!

I'm assuming built in camera mics are omnidirectional? Do you think a built in mic would pick up sounds clearly at the feeder? I was hoping to eliminate the majority of background noise. If not, and the camera has a mic input, I could always run a small exterior mic up near the feeder. Do cameras with built in mics also have mic inputs?

My thoughts on a varifocal were to allow me to restrict the field of view to just the feeder. It wouldn't be worth it if I had to sacrifice focus. I would think it might be hard to find a fixed lens that could limit the field to just the feeder. I plan on mounting the camera to wood deck framing. I could move the camera further away than eight feet. (maybe max 25 feet) Just not closer. I figured with a variable, I could always move the camera further away and play with the zoom to find a good spot.

I really want as much detail as possible on the feeder. (within reason) I'm not opposed to a 2MP. On the other hand, I hate to sacrifice picture detail a 4+ MP might give me.

Hoping someone will chime in that has experience with doing something similar.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this mic need an amplifier of any sort? Or can it just be plugged into the audio input on a camera and then use a PoE splitter on the ethernet cable to the camera to power it?