Another Car Door Checker

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
A neighbor up the street has a ring and let me know this guy was in the neighborhood. I had the timeline so it was easy to find. This guy is across the street from my house and went to the corner and up the street. Notice he has gloves and a backpack. So far they have avoided my house. What I find interesting is that the videos are much clearer than what I post on YouTube. I can easily read the license plate on the car for instance.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like he was checking for hidden keys under the rear bumper.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the Ring video sent from my neighbor. So between the two videos we have a good idea of what he looks like. It just so happens a Sheriff deputy in the neighborhood has a ring and saw this same character checking car doors. She is on the robbery detail and knew I have cameras and came by the house. Anyways I gave her a copy so that the Sheriff's office can play with it, enlarge it etc.

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
With of all the brainiacs on this forum, including myself, we should be able to come up with something to catch these guys or at least scare the s@*t out of them. Maybe we should open a competition on the captured page of best door checker video, or best way to scare off door checkers.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With of all the brainiacs on this forum, including myself, we should be able to come up with something to catch these guys or at least scare the s@*t out of them. Maybe we should open a competition on the captured page of best door checker video, or best way to scare off door checkers.
Need a bait car... cameras inside and a remotely controlled locking system.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
add a nice super-loud ear drum shattering siren inside and check the A&E intake after ;-)

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
12 gauge shotshell trip wire with blank works great. I worked in the Bronx and would leave my car unlocked this way they wouldn't break the window. I once returned to my car to find the garbage on the floor was gone and the doors were locked.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agree! The collective intelligence of this forum could devise an effective bait scenario that homeowners could set up in their driveway. The trap would need to temporarily disable the ability of the perp to leave the area so the Police could come pick them up. However, the more effective the disabling feature - the easier the legal defense could prosecute the homeowner.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
12 gauge shotshell trip wire with blank works great. I worked in the Bronx and would leave my car unlocked this way they wouldn't break the window. I once returned to my car to find the garbage on the floor was gone and the doors were locked.
Exactly what I was going to say:
The fith ops ones are the best made I've ever seen = block of alu instead of a bent bracket arrangement. Also, in the UK we can only get standard short blanks. In the US you can get the superloud (160db) and flashbang blanks. You can use anything you like on any of them for the trip wire, provided it's strong enough which opens up any colour of cord or nylon for maximum concealment.

Only issues I can see with any of this, is it may result in neighbours calling the police and reporting a gunshot and there's a slight risk of giving the intruder a heart attack - refer you to your own legal system to consider liability for that and whether you need to call the police and report a discharge yourself to stop them being dispatched.

However, I think there's one thing guaranteed, it's highly unlikely the perp will return twice to your property if he thinks hes been shot at.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe FIRST the normal volume sound of a cough or a throat-clearing coming from the cam's direction to get the perp to look at the cam for a better face ID?

THEN scare the crap out of the cockroach! :wow:

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
a high output flash gun would be fun too, watch them stumble about in the dark having robbed them of their ability to see clearly for a few mins.

Or deploy the airbags ;-)

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
after getting burgled at home years back I suggested to the officer maybe I should put a bare mains wire around the inside of the door frame to zap 'em next time. He said no not recommended, could be prosecuted. OK says I, so if they get inside the house they are obviously trespassing with intent, can I fit a trap door down onto a spike in the basement? He looked very concerned at my thinking lol

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
after getting burgled at home years back I suggested to the officer maybe I should put a bare mains wire around the inside of the door frame to zap 'em next time. He said no not recommended, could be prosecuted. OK says I, so if they get inside the house they are obviously trespassing with intent, can I fit a trap door down onto a spike in the basement? He looked very concerned at my thinking lol
Darn lawyers / barristers taking all the fun and sport out of this!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
At 17 seconds, it looks like he's taking a drag on a cig, but since there's no glow (which gives off a ton of IR), I think he's using a radio:

upload_2018-6-30_17-31-1.png

Wouldn't surprise me if he's working with someone else - maybe a lookout down the street? Walking around with gloves on like that is more than reasonable suspicion if a cop were to drive by and see him.

The other thing that strikes me is that he's making ZERO attempt to obscure his face. In each case of door checking in my hood, the guys were all wearing hoodies and long sleeves pulled down over their hands. Most even had bandannas, exposing only their eyes.

The ironic thing is if these guys put half the effort of burglarizing cars/homes into bettering themselves and working a legitimate job, they'd probably be quite successful.