Another NVR vs BI question

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I am heading off on the right track. The camera order - that’s exactly How I sorted it two weeks ago :)

I was reasonably ok with EagleEyes so I guess I’m in for a big surprise. That’s what I’m hoping.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have experience with this exact scenario? You can kill power to your windows pc 100 times per day and restart and there wont be any data corruption. Dont believe me? setup a test machine and do just that.
Not sure how an NVR is easier to restart than a pc. When power comes back on it boots. End of story.
Just to get some input on this, if the PC let's say running Win10, shuts down unexpectedly as in power loss, wouldn't the OS go through some disk/file checks before booting? And, (I am not fully versed with/in Win10) in that event, it could probably delay unless a user prompt is waiting for input...

I had a Win7 htpc for media for a while and accidental hard shutdowns (i.e. hold power button - kids) or power loss had caused some issues before and one point system crash with"ntldr" or etc., missing messages. Had to reformat OS drive and reinstall. Of course, it was a known brand reliable SSD with NTFS. It doesn't make sense, I know. But it happened. I ran OE diagnostics later and disk is fine.

So IMO, (maybe, I am ill informed), this is a valid concern. Granted any hardware failure would obviously be a show stopper but in terms of power loss and accidental shutdowns, how resilient is Win10?

Have you guys experienced such issues?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A power failure is not hitting the power switch. After a power failure if correctly configured the PC will restart along with all the correct services.

All my PCs and Cameras are configured on UPS. The disk drive if it is configured with NTFS will not have a problem restarting.

I have been running PC for more than 20 years and the only power problem, that caused equipment failures was a major lighting strike that fried nearly everything. (TVs, alarm system, PCs, stereo, printers, phone system, some light bulbs)

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A power failure is not hitting the power switch.
I understand that but what I was saying is that holding power switch (without power button functions specified) will shut the system down after few seconds and that's a hard shutdown very much like a sudden power outage by not giving the system a chance to shutdown normally.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that but what I was saying is that holding power switch (without power button functions specified) will shut the system down after few seconds and that's a hard shutdown very much like a sudden power outage by not giving the system a chance to shutdown normally.
Any system should be attached to a GOOD UPS, and setup to shutdown when battery is exhausted.
Quick blips in the power is more damaging than a straight power outage.

myipcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any system should be attached to a GOOD UPS, and setup to shutdown when battery is exhausted.
Quick blips in the power is more damaging than a straight power outage.
This is what I intend to do.

Last question, I see that Cyberpower sell a network card for power mgmt., is this the way you guys are achieving auto shutdown during power loss OR USB etc.? Old days, RS-232 was used with a resident app... that should tell you a bit when my last exposure to UPS...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I intend to do.

Last question, I see that Cyberpower sell a network card for power mgmt., is this the way you guys are achieving auto shutdown during power loss OR USB etc.? Old days, RS-232 was used with a resident app... that should tell you a bit when my last exposure to UPS...
I do that with USB, then I have the pc setup to wake on lan packet. My Ausus router allows me to send the wake packet. I login to the router via the same VPN I use to view cams.