Any 4k cameras (or > 2MP) with good night Image Quality?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A lot of talk, reviews and recommendations here, mostly for Dahua Starlight cameras. I have a couple of %321's and like them, but unless you have a close up image capture, zooming in on an image will probably not produce a usable facial ID from much distance.
Higher resolution cams, especially 4K "should" allow for you to have a partial or full overview camera that would allow for zooming in on a recorded image and produce this level of recognition in theory....but it seems the biggest issue is sensor sizes in those remain the same or close to 2MP cameras in many cases making night \ IR images and video miserable.

So, to that end has anyone experienced any good quality higher resolution cameras that would also produce good quality night images...that do not cost a small fortune?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of talk, reviews and recommendations here, mostly for Dahua Starlight cameras. I have a couple of %321's and like them, but unless you have a close up image capture, zooming in on an image will probably not produce a usable facial ID from much distance.
Higher resolution cams, especially 4K "should" allow for you to have a partial or full overview camera that would allow for zooming in on a recorded image and produce this level of recognition in theory....but it seems the biggest issue is sensor sizes in those remain the same or close to 2MP cameras in many cases making night \ IR images and video miserable.

So, to that end has anyone experienced any good quality higher resolution cameras that would also produce good quality night images...that do not cost a small fortune?
remember that 4k is not 4x2mp in terms of pixels per foot...its maybe double best case scenario....use two starlights zoomed in...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know I am probably going to be comparing apples to potato chips here, but what peaked my interest in the topic yesterday was pics from a friend's drone recording and taking arial pics in 4k.
A pic showed us, small, and far away in comparison to the overall image, but zoomed in I could easily do facial ID.
His was bright sunlight of course but still, the distance was many times further away than I could ever hope to ID a face with my 2mp security cam.

Is the key difference here really that the 4 k camera probably has a much larger image sensor or is there a lot more to it maybe than that?

I'm sure there are sec cams capable of this that are probably several grand.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I know I am probably going to be comparing apples to potato chips here, but what peaked my interest in the topic yesterday was pics from a friend's drone recording and taking arial pics in 4k.
A pic showed us, small, and far away in comparison to the overall image, but zoomed in I could easily do facial ID.
His was bright sunlight of course but still, the distance was many times further away than I could ever hope to ID a face with my 2mp security cam.

Is the key difference here really that the 4 k camera probably has a much larger image sensor or is there a lot more to it maybe than that?

I'm sure there are sec cams capable of this that are probably several grand.
Pictures from the sky with good light are one thing, 4k as a security camera will suck when lighting isn't perfect, lighting changes all day, at night 4k will look like today shit and you can forget about facial ID unless you have big spot lights running all night long.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd need good quality IR B&W night images in very low lux...mostly just have star\moonlight where I am at. The off brand Yunch makes me a bit nervous but the video samples in the other post look pretty good but they have a lot of ambient light to use.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Decent night image. What model# \ price for that camera?
I don't "need" a PTZ, Just want something w good quality night capture that could be zoomed in on a snapshot post recording that would provide better detail than the 2MPs do. That said a PTZ would be fun and would get good use in my back yard chasing misc. wildlife at night.
Wonder how much additional zoom you get going from this 20x to the Dahua 49er 25X?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"Going from 20x - 25x you would get 5x more Zoom." Funny...I can do that math. :facepalm:
I meant guesstimate of say how much further , in feet, yards you could say do a good facial or plate recognition.

So you installed your own IMX291? Then that basically makes it a completely different camera.
They don't sell it with that module? (If that is the best module to have for this type of camera?)

Does the wiper thingy really work well or really even needed or just something else to break?