Any dash cams that capture license plates at night?

htimsda

n3wb
Reaction score
Are there any dash cams that capture license plates at night on moving vehicles? I've caught some incidents at night where I would loved to have captured the license plate, but it's just a blur.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's an area that as yet doesn't work too well, in my experience, and on reviews I've seen.
One thing to consider is to provide a commentary during the incident, including saying the plate number, that will then get recorded along with the video.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
For most cams, especially budget it still a challenge. This is what I am waiting for A119 with novatek NT96660

htimsda

n3wb
Reaction score
For most cams, especially budget it still a challenge. This is what I am waiting for A119 with novatek NT96660
That does look very good, but it looks like it will still capture blurry plates in many situations.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That does look very good, but it looks like it will still capture blurry plates in many situations.
It will, particularly cars coming at you, but it is extremely nice video. What's the price on that, it seems new...

My dash cam situation is acceptable but I cannot grab plates of oncoming cars during the day unless I'm very lucky--and that's too bad because I almost got hit head on by a tractor trailer a week ago. In retrospect I should have done a uturn and chased it down, it was some super bad driving.

I caught video yesterday (and actually slowed down and pulled my phone out so I could get a better view) of a woman watching tv while driving down the highway. Had her phone mounted on a GPS holder and was the only one in the car.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@klasipca has your M10+ come in yet? I ordered mine a little while back but apparently chose the slow junk from China shipping option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That M20 looks nice. Funny how in the preview video the guy tries to show us how to take the battery out, fails, and says he'll show us later. He's definitely not well prepared to show it off in its best light. Looks like it's loaded with features though.

My M10+ had its tracking number cancelled once and it has another one now with no information. I'll leave it for now and keep my fingers crossed. Looks like a decent cam with a really good accessory pack at a good price. Poor man's GoPro. If the M20 is priced anywhere near the M10+ I can have a 10+, a 20, and maybe more of them for the price of even a single older GoPro with just one mount. Hopefully my latest tracking number is a good one and is just out of the tracking period.

Reaction score
Give DOD-tech Canada a try, Specifically this model... http://dod-tech.ca/product/dod-ls460w/ I've had the LS460W in my truck for the last couple of years and it has been nothing shy of excellent. Both day and night vision is clear as can be.. plus the camera itself has a lot of other excellent options. Check out the reviews online, facebook page, even youtube. I highly recommend them. And yes I did a lot of shopping around and research prior to deciding on this product.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
There is a new DOD LS470W that comes out tomorrow. But for me they are overpriced.

Bazzle

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an Viofo A119.
Its not too bad at night. You just step the video thru until the plate come clear. (pause)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I've found Viofo short lived. Had a couple of different models. In my experience they are good cameras generally, but after around 12 months, they seem to fail - usually they start rebooting randomly.

The Mobius Maxi would be my choice atm for a quality all round camera. However, no dashcam is likely to capture a good moving plate at night unless the car is directly in front as the shutter speeds are just to slow to freeze the movement.