Any good BI compatible cam at local BestBuy or such

Reaction score
Lots of discussions on cameras that I would need to buy online..however I'd like to buy a decent one at local store like Best Buy/Walmart/Home Depot and for many of their cameras (Nest,...) I am worried would steer me towards cloud storage and not be "compatible" with BI? My Samsung Smart Cam that I bought there is no longer compatible with BI.

I am also afraid the compatibility list within BI is not the most recent.

Any recommendations appreciated!
thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of discussions on cameras that I would need to buy online..however I'd like to buy a decent one at local store like Best Buy/Walmart/Home Depot and for many of their cameras (Nest,...) I am worried would steer me towards cloud storage and not be "compatible" with BI? My Samsung Smart Cam that I bought there is no longer compatible with BI.

I am also afraid the compatibility list within BI is not the most recent.

Any recommendations appreciated!
thanks
Hi Francois,

I've looked for local B&M stores for a supply of good IP cameras and in general have found very poor selections for those like us who want solid IP cameras.
( Fry's had a very poor selection, Costco only had cloud cameras and Coax/IP PoE Kits, Home Depot cloud and Coax kits, .. )

The only exception might be if you live near B&H ( iirc NY ) - however, their prices seem high when I've looked.

I think the only good options are online orders.

Last edited:

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my experience not really. I bought several Dlinks from BB a couple of years ago. All have degraded quickly the last year. At this point none can be used in low light. The picture is very fussy no matter what i do to correct it. Same goes for my Foscams. Both brands now sit in a box as back up spares. They work great for day use but I need performance at night.

Last year I purchased some dahua Chinese hacked 4431C-a-2v turrets from amazon and have been very happy with their performance. Blows the others away and were much cheaper to boot. Next month I'm ordering some more from Andy, now that I know about him.

Go dahua. Don't waste your time with the others. You won't regret it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are some cameras for sale at places like microcenter, best buy, walmart, costco, and sams club that could function with blue iris and many that wouldn't. Microcenter probably has the best selection and when I was there a few weeks ago I couldn't help noticing how awful EVERY camera in that isle was. A lot of it was stuff I would have expected to see for sale 5-10 years ago (and it was), most of it was only 720p.

Currently the 1080p starlight cameras are best all around performers. Do yourself a favor and just order better cameras online. It would be hard to beat the prices and service provided by @EMPIRETECANDY