Any native 940nm turret cameras?

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking a 940nm native outdoor turret camera. The brand is not important so long as it works well with BI and I do not see the telltale 850nm red glow. I plan to augment the cameras built in IR LEDs with brighter 940nm lights (large area to cover) so avoiding the red glow AND native 940nm performance is important.

Any company make such a camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking a 940nm native outdoor turret camera. The brand is not important so long as it works well with BI and I do not see the telltale 850nm red glow. I plan to augment the cameras built in IR LEDs with brighter 940nm lights (large area to cover) so avoiding the red glow AND native 940nm performance is important.

Any company make such a camera?
No. There is no reason to fear a little red glow.

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
It’s all preference - I think a little red glow looks bad, and becomes a lot of red glow once external 850nm sources are added - which looks ridiculous. In a crowded market with a lot of rebadged (mostly identical) models I am somewhat surprised more companies do not offer this as a selling point.

I have been unable (so far) to find any 940nm turrets so I expected this answer initially. But if anyone finds (or has found) one please chime in! Thanks in advance!

No. There is no reason to fear a little red glow.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s all preference - I think a little red glow looks bad, and becomes a lot of red glow once external 850nm sources are added - which looks ridiculous. In a crowded market with a lot of rebadged (mostly identical) models I am somewhat surprised more companies do not offer this as a selling point.

I have been unable (so far) to find any 940nm turrets so I expected this answer initially. But if anyone finds (or has found) one please chime in! Thanks in advance!
its not offered because its weak and would require much more power and additional sources of the IR. You dont need additional sources or external IR with a proper setup. Also, you can add additional 940 IR to a camera that is using 850 so the only source of a light red glow will be the camera. There is a reason its not offered.