any one have an IP camera with the SONY Exmor IMX291 image sensor?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would be interested in how good they are at night with 100W flood lights.

The one(s) I was looking at are the small box cameras here:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bin1WKvw

Thanks,
Chris

PS, why are key strokes really laggy when trying to post?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No comment on that particular camera. However, that seller has proven themselves reliable time and again.

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was just looking at this camera and considering purchasing it, it has the IMX291 sensor with 0.0001Lux.

There are 2 models in these listings, one with imx225 and another with the imx291 sensor, I am interested in the 291 sensor as it is 2MP.

The IMX291 sensor is supposed to support 0.0001Lux in color and BW.

Prices at the time I posted this are: $65.16 - non PoE and $69.16 with PoE

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cdrU9Ebq

The model linked to below has POE

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Gadinan-Starlight-PoE-IP-Camera-Color-0-0001Lux-Ultra-low-Illumination-1-3MP-SONY-IMX225-2MP/316399_32596562519.html

Bob

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bob,
I saw those, I don't believe they have IR LED's. With out the built in IR, I would rather use the small box camera.

My concern with the ones I was looking at is there is no way to tell how good the image would be with moving objects. I searched youtube but couldn't find any examples that are similar to my environment. In the end I want good facial images of anyone walking up my driveway. It would be nice to tell exactly what cars are going up and down the street during the day and night. It would be better to get license plates day and night. My cameras are close to getting a good images at night but the person has to pause for just a moment or else it is blurred. I had one of the four led IR lights from ebay (the small round one), but it died, or melted and never really helped.

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have a IP camera with the IXM291 chip that could share their results.

Chris

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bob,
I saw those, I don't believe they have IR LED's. With out the built in IR, I would rather use the small box camera.

My concern with the ones I was looking at is there is no way to tell how good the image would be with moving objects. I searched youtube but couldn't find any examples that are similar to my environment. In the end I want good facial images of anyone walking up my driveway. It would be nice to tell exactly what cars are going up and down the street during the day and night. It would be better to get license plates day and night. My cameras are close to getting a good images at night but the person has to pause for just a moment or else it is blurred. I had one of the four led IR lights from ebay (the small round one), but it died, or melted and never really helped.

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have a IP camera with the IXM291 chip that could share their results.

Chris
For me, I just want to be able to see in low available light around my yard and surrounding neighborhood, as I live on a hill. I was thinking later if I decided I needed IR lights I could ad external IR lights or just ad automatic yard lights that come on with movement. I have seen some very good looking 2MP images of views and lit neighborhoods at night, in color by cams with pretty good low light performance, I was going for that kind of thing.

I was thinking about the one I linked to because it appears ready to mount with a pretty decent case that looks water proof.

I did see one though that had the mini square black case
with a 2.8 - 12mm zoom lens that I would like to try out. I would really like to see my view of the city below with the 12mm lens at night.

Bob

CCTV Guy

n3wb
Reaction score
I would be interested in how good they are at night with 100W flood lights.
I have not used the IP versions of these cameras, but I have used the analog Super Exwave version quite a bit and find the low light performance to be excellent. The sensor specs for light performance are similar. I have several customers in the banking industry that use them in ATM drive-up lanes. The nice thing about the low lux performance on these is that I can set the minimum shutter speed to 1/150 and get clear images of license plates, even on vehicles that just drive through the lane. Of course, the lighting in this scenario is not bad either, as there are Federal standards for lighting requirements at ATMs.

Last edited by a moderator:

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not used the IP versions of these cameras, but I have used the analog Super Exwave version quite a bit and find the low light performance to be excellent. The sensor specs for light performance are similar. I have several customers in the banking industry that use them in ATM drive-up lanes. The nice thing about the low lux performance on these is that I can set the minimum shutter speed to 1/150 and get clear images of license plates, even on vehicles that just drive through the lane. Of course, the lighting in this scenario is not bad either, as there are Federal standards for lighting requirements at ATMs.
Is that with IR in black & white mode or straight color mode?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is what I have now, HX3200s-960-B with 6mm lens, Color 0.1Lux/F1.1 B/W 0.01 Lux/F1.1
It would be nice to have a 2mp with a bit clearer shot of cars going by.

CCTV Guy

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that with IR in black & white mode or straight color mode?
Straight color mode. Here is a shot of the one on the front of my house. I have a 25 Watt equivalent LED bulb in my porch light. The scene is actually very dark, but the camera rarely ever changes to B/W. This is with AGC at the maximum setting. Mind you, this is a 540TVL analog camera, so the comparison is only to show what you might be able to expect as far as low light performance, as both cameras have nearly the same LUX values. Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 2.2016.04.07.02.40.58.169.bmp

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was just looking at this camera and considering purchasing it, it has the IMX291 sensor with 0.0001Lux.

There are 2 models in these listings, one with imx225 and another with the imx291 sensor, I am interested in the 291 sensor as it is 2MP.

The IMX291 sensor is supposed to support 0.0001Lux in color and BW.

Prices at the time I posted this are: $65.16 - non PoE and $69.16 with PoE

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bcBMieLQ

The model linked to below has POE

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Gadinan-Starlight-PoE-IP-Camera-Color-0-0001Lux-Ultra-low-Illumination-1-3MP-SONY-IMX225-2MP/316399_32596562519.html

Bob
I just put up a review of this particular camera... https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10131-Gadinan-%93Starlight%94-2MP-camera-with-IMX291-sensor?p=91332#post91332

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
digger11 - great review thanks.

Looks like it needs an IR cut filter, I would take it apart and see if you could fit one and remove the fixed IR filter.

I found a few other cams made with the imx291 that do have the IR cut filter installed.

I would like to try a imx178 5MP sensor also.

Bob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like it needs an IR cut filter, I would take it apart and see if you could fit one and remove the fixed IR filter.
It sounds like it does have one as it was now able to respond to IR illumination at night - but the config needed a bit of tweaking to activate it.

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It sounds like it does have one as it was now able to respond to IR illumination at night - but the config needed a bit of tweaking to activate it.
Thanks for letting me know, I am certainly going to buy one of these with this sensor, not sure if I'm going to get that one or maybe another that comes with IR leds.
Bob