Any one use Free (unlicensed) Windows 10 w/ Blue Iris?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Those are fraudulent licenses. If you are going to commit theft, there is no point in feeding the ebay scammers.
Hey Fender - serious question as I don’t condone or support the use of these however it was once explained to me by someone in the OEM PC building market that the licenses on eBay wern’t fraudulent per se but they were being used incorrectly and out of license. I was told the license keys sold on eBay and the international sites are valid licenses but they are licenses under the OEM New Machine license. Meaning they should be used by machine builders and manufactures for new retail machines. Obviously HP and other manufactures couldn’t sell a PC for $300 with $100 of that being a windows license.

not sure how accurate that is but that’s how it was explained to me by an independent custom machine builder many years ago.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fender - serious question as I don’t condone or support the use of these however it was once explained to me by someone in the OEM PC building market that the licenses on eBay wern’t fraudulent per se but they were being used incorrectly and out of license. I was told the license keys sold on eBay and the international sites are valid licenses but they are licenses under the OEM New Machine license. Meaning they should be used by machine builders and manufactures for new retail machines. Obviously HP and other manufactures couldn’t sell a PC for $300 with $100 of that being a windows license.

not sure how accurate that is but that’s how it was explained to me by an independent custom machine builder many years ago.
This is possible though i question the cheap prices. I would think even oem builders pay more than a few dollars a license. I suspect (but dont have any evidence) that these licenses come from older machines or some sort of key generation is used.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a risk and like I said, you won't know how licenses on eBay were acquired until Satya Nadella calls you. Sellers can claim whatever they want. A lot of times these unused OEM licenses come from businesses that shuttered or simply had excess licenses to begin with. Anything is possible

This is possible though i question the cheap prices. I would think even oem builders pay more than a few dollars a license. I suspect (but dont have any evidence) that these licenses come from older machines or some sort of key generation is used.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a risk and like I said, you won't know how licenses on eBay were acquired until Satya Nadella calls you. Sellers can claim whatever they want. A lot of times these unused OEM licenses come from businesses that shuttered or simply had excess. Anything is possible
Unless the seller is including the actual box or license you can be 100 percent certain they are not selling a legal version of the key.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The $300 HP laptop I bought based on fenderman's tip couldn't possibly (IMO of course) have more than a few dollars of its cost attributable to the win 10 license. I'm still puzzled how this machine with great performance and so many features could sell at its price point. I previously worked for an organization that built PC add-in products and the rule of thumb was that the manufacturing cost was 10% of the retail price. Even if the laptop's retail price was $500, I don't see how it could be built for $50, including the win 10 license.

One possibility I've considered is that they're effectively giving win10 away for free, counting on the add-on products for profits. The pre-installed win10 is very much sell-sell-sell at the microsoft store. Office for instance is very expensive. I'm personally running linux, and not being a revenue source. Those that pay the yearly Office tax are making up for me.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen listings of sellers enclosing the license with a DVD containing the 1st version of Windows 10 RTM, the license is key is imprinted on a COA sticker on the inner part of a white envelope. Now I can't confirm the legitimacy of whether or not these are OEM's or a bunch of people working out a small assembly line in their tight quarters, but listing photos are easy to convince any buyer that the licenses are real. On the actual DVD itself, it says full version. I've never seen Microsoft label in such a manner. Its probably a high quality fake, even with the hologram on the disc.

1585698560478.png

1585698578729.png
Unless the seller is including the actual box or license you can be 100 percent certain they are not selling a legal version of the key.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The $300 HP laptop I bought based on fenderman's tip couldn't possibly (IMO of course) have more than a few dollars of its cost attributable to the win 10 license. I'm still puzzled how this machine with great performance and so many features could sell at its price point. I previously worked for an organization that built PC add-in products and the rule of thumb was that the manufacturing cost was 10% of the retail price. Even if the laptop's retail price was $500, I don't see how it could be built for $50, including the win 10 license.
These are not licenses from huge oems like hp. Note that the 10th gen version of that laptop is very loud (fan). I purchased 3, but returned 2. Thankfully I kept one around as a spare because I had to scrounge around to find laptops for my people to use to work from home. I purchased an 8th gen lenovo 13s for myself about 2 months ago for 450+tax. Its well worth the extra 150.

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is only intended as a back-up disk, in order to be valid it had to have been pre-installed on the OEM machine. I'm sure many can find illegal ways to save a few bucks but why? I don't get it, pay for a legal copy. OEM license agreements are very specific, not transferable, region and county specific and many other conditions to control legal distribution.

I've seen listings of sellers enclosing the license with a DVD containing the 1st version of Windows 10 RTM, the license is key is imprinted on a COA sticker on the inner part of a white envelope. Now I can't confirm the legitimacy of whether or not these are OEM's or a bunch of people working out a small assembly line in their tight quarters, but listing photos are easy to convince any buyer that the licenses are real. On the actual DVD itself, it says full version. I've never seen Microsoft label in such a manner. Its probably a high quality fake, even with the hologram on the disc.

View attachment 58439

View attachment 58440

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that the 10th gen version of that laptop is very loud (fan). I purchased 3, but returned 2.
I've seen that fan comment in some of the reviews and was suprised by it. I've got no complaints about the fan in my 8th gen version of the laptop. The main reasons I bought the laptop on impulse was its built in rj45 connector and lighted keyboard. Being a tinfoil hat type I don't run wifi at home and had been watching more and more of the laptops drop the rj45, which the 10th gen version did. With the new version dropping the rj45 and gaining the fan noise, it looks like I got the pick of the litter.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen that fan comment in some of the reviews and was suprised by it. I've got no complaints about the fan in my 8th gen version of the laptop. The main reasons I bought the laptop on impulse was its built in rj45 connector and lighted keyboard. Being a tinfoil hat type I don't run wifi at home and had been watching more and more of the laptops drop the rj45, which the 10th gen version did. With the new version dropping the rj45 and gaining the fan noise, it looks like I got the pick of the litter.
The eighth gen is much quieter I have one of those as well in the house. Just wanted to warn you if you decided to purchase more.

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is likely as close as you can get to an acceptable personal OEM license in the USA. It would not include Microsoft support, must be installed on a custom built computer with new motherboard, hard drive, CPU, GPU, etc. Once installed it is tied to the new motherboard and can not be transferred to a different system. If your motherboard fails you are in a world of hurt and may need to purchase another copy. There is a chance after hours of attempting to work with Microsoft they will give you a new key but I suggest just spending the extra $50 or so and buy a retail copy.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Microsoft's business model for Windows has changed a lot since Win7 days. Now you can use Windows 10 for free. Just download it, install it, and not enter any license key. There's some limitations that seem to be mostly around cosmetics (but very annoying).

I don't know if things like Quick Sync is disabled in the unlicensed version of Windows 10. Just wondering if anyone's tried it?

If it works, it saves everyone like $50 for a copy of Windows 10 just to run Blue Iris. I think there might be a lot of Linux Intel boxes laying around that can be converted to run BI.
Windows will in fact run (for right now) without activation minus personal settings and yes the reminders, however in the future they might send you the poison pill, they do track this stuff and you might wake up one day with register or die. If Microsoft does not catch up with you, Karma will.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not demo mode or it would say demo mode. It tells you to register.
At one point in software, there was no such thing as demo mode. Then someone invented it, and invented a way to use it.
It's almost as if the OS prices of Windows is highly arbitraged and it's a complicated subject.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At one point in software, there was no such thing as demo mode. Then someone invented it, and invented a way to use it.

It's almost as if the OS prices of Windows is highly arbitraged and it's a complicated subject.
It makes no difference when the technical term demo mode began being used.

The maker of the software may set pricing anyway they wish. If you can’t afford to use it look for a free alternative. I assume that you wouldn’t walk into a convenience store and grab two candy bars while only paying for one because they charge double the going rate.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pointless Thread with zero ROI....

Only thing this is good for is faning the flames. You literally posted about questionable ethical and legal usage of software and then say I don't know if it works but it will save you money....

Nice to have you as part of the forum, see you'll be a postive contributor.....
That's quite a confident response. I wonder if the Chinese market cameras with hacked firmware counts as ethically questionable too? Software prices are pretty complex, highly arbitraged, and pricing is more often set by the interaction between producers and users rather than a simple line in a license agreement.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's quite a confident response. I wonder if the Chinese market cameras with hacked firmware counts as ethically questionable too? Software prices are pretty complex, highly arbitraged, and pricing is more often set by the interaction between producers and users rather than a simple line in a license agreement.
The way they set the pricing is irrelevant. Cameras with hacked firmware is a dumb purchase for many other reasons as well.

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't need to enter any product key to use Windows 10 in unactivated mode.
It just enters a generic key of it's own for you if you tell it you don't have a product key.

I'm throughly disgusted with Microsoft.
We are a partner.

I personally pay full price for any Microsoft product that I use myself or install for my customers.
Yet anyone can incredibly easily buy cheap keys online or on Facebook or about anywhere for around $20.
They are not "legal" but they work a d continue to work for years.
Somebody at Microsoft has access to keys or generating keys and IS responsible for this.
Microsoft does NOTHING to stop this-- absolutely NOTHING.

They allow and let it go on.

They simply do not care to any degree at all.

MichiganBroadband.com

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't need to enter any product key to use Windows 10 in unactivated mode.
It just enters a generic key of it's own for you if you tell it you don't have a product key.

I'm throughly disgusted with Microsoft.
We are a partner.

I personally pay full price for any Microsoft product that I use myself or install for my customers.
Yet anyone can incredibly easily buy cheap keys online or on Facebook or about anywhere for around $20.
They are not "legal" but they work a d continue to work for years.
Somebody at Microsoft has access to keys or generating keys and IS responsible for this.
Microsoft does NOTHING to stop this-- absolutely NOTHING.

They allow and let it go on.

The fact that you can even use Windows 10 unactivated forever is intentional.
Site ONE case where anyone has been in trouble for doing it.
Go ahead site just one case.
You won't find one.

They simply do not care to any degree at all.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Microsoft’s charging varies from country to country and is based upon what they think people will pay, much like the prices for cable/satellite TV. Here in the UK it will cost me well over £100 a month to get all the channels, I have a house in India, over there all the channels comes to around 700 rupees, so at today’s prices around £7.50 a month. Granted the channel list won’t be exactly the same but I can still watch football, the F1, documentaries and films.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There’s a place in Delhi called Connaught Place. Karl Rock has made a few scam videos there in the past. Don’t accidentally purchase a pirated copy of Windows :lol:

Microsoft’s charging varies from country to country and is based upon what they think people will pay, much like the prices for cable/satellite TV. Here in the UK it will cost me well over £100 a month to get all the channels, I have a house in India, over there all the channels comes to around 700 rupees, so at today’s prices around £7.50 a month. Granted the channel list won’t be exactly the same but I can still watch football, the F1, documentaries and films.