Any one use Free (unlicensed) Windows 10 w/ Blue Iris?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There’s a place in Delhi called Connaught Place. Karl Rock has made a few scam videos there in the past. Don’t accidentally purchase a pirated copy of Windows :lol:
I’ve never purchased a pirated copy of Windows, what does that even mean?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There are unauthorized sellers (not only in India) selling ripped copies of Windows. They lure customers in convincing them that its the same as a retail copy, but the product key (license) often included is often a fake and not authorized by Microsoft. Some customers even think that "cracking" is part of the activation process. This problem plagued Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. However, I wouldn't advise purchasing license keys online for cheap. You won't know how the keys were acquired or if they were even illegally sourced to begin with.

I’ve never purchased a pirated copy of Windows, what does that even mean?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There are unauthorized sellers (not only in India) selling ripped copies of Windows. They lure customers in convincing them that its the same as a retail copy, but the product key (license) often included is often a fake and not authorized by Microsoft. Some customers even think that "cracking" is part of the activation process. This problem plagued Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. However, I wouldn't advise purchasing license keys online for cheap. You won't know how the keys were acquired or if they were even illegally sourced to begin with.
As I said I’ve never purchased any Windows key from any seller online ever so I’ve no idea why you think I have or may?

I actually have an MSDN developer account so l have access to all the keys I could ever wish for.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh no, that message was never targeted to you :p Its a general figure of speech for anyone reading this "that may" want to pay less than MSRP for the license key ;)
I used to have an MSDN developer account before too. However, I'm already provided license keys for work and research from the organization. :D
MSDN license keys are all volume-license keys. I wonder if there is still a cap in place, haha :)

As I said I’ve never purchased any Windows key from any seller online ever so I’ve no idea why you think I have or may?

I actually have an MSDN developer account so l have access to all the keys I could ever wish for.

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To answer your question, Yes. Running BI in Unactivated Windows works fine. I'll let the legality of all be debated by others and the entire internet. (google search it's legality and you'll likely find just as many "legit responses" saying yes as they say no.)

Be aware though that there's a lot of talk about how Unactivated Windows itself (independent of BI) will behave over time. Random reboots, quirks, etc have all been reported.
What I don't understand is why paying a lot more for other software and hardware, but not that $50 for the underlying windows 10? because of a MS hater?
If ones wants piracy, pirate everything.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Fender - serious question as I don’t condone or support the use of these however it was once explained to me by someone in the OEM PC building market that the licenses on eBay wern’t fraudulent per se but they were being used incorrectly and out of license. I was told the license keys sold on eBay and the international sites are valid licenses but they are licenses under the OEM New Machine license. Meaning they should be used by machine builders and manufactures for new retail machines. Obviously HP and other manufactures couldn’t sell a PC for $300 with $100 of that being a windows license.

not sure how accurate that is but that’s how it was explained to me by an independent custom machine builder many years ago.
This is how I understand it as well. I was looking for some software and found the digital key download for about 10% of the retail price. When I went looking for reviews, I found lots of "it worked fine for a while and then the key was invalid" responses. I use the crap out of Dell's OS recovery tool, and when I bought a Lenovo they have the same thing.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased one from them in the past and key did not work (probably issued a used key by error), had to open a PayPal dispute and got it resolved in a few weeks. But these cheaper keys are legit, originally meant for enterprise deployment / OEM's, if you built your own system, no issues buying $2 keys

I bought a Windows 10 Pro key from Kinguin (link below) for my BI server and are have no issues with it.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which one did you buy, it doesn't work for me.
I've bought probably ten $5 Windows keys off eBay... I've never had an issue. I just look for sellers in Europe with high feedback score. Some times you have to install windows disconnected from the internet then install the key at the end after windows is installed, then connect to internet.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a side note, ALL those that used the "Permanently Activate your M$ products for free" mainly seen on youtube, that get you to run a few lines of code that connect to 'some' KMS servers...

They went offline yesterday :)