Any opinions on the Q-SEE QT5816-16V6-2

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[h=1]Right now it is on sale for $600 and it seems like a really good deal. The full description is "HeritageHD Series 16-Channel 960H 2TB Video Surveillance System with (16) 900TVL Cameras and 100 ft. Night Vision". I know this isn't IP or even digital, but it gets me into the mix for a lot less money than equivalent systems with either digital or IP.[/h]
Thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now it is on sale for $600 and it seems like a really good deal. The full description is "HeritageHD Series 16-Channel 960H 2TB Video Surveillance System with (16) 900TVL Cameras and 100 ft. Night Vision". I know this isn't IP or even digital, but it gets me into the mix for a lot less money than equivalent systems with either digital or IP.

Thoughts?
Its a terrible deal. 900tvl analog cameras are awful. This is a much better option.
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-Analog-DVR-with-2TB-HDD,-12-720p-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100220958.html

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to use ethernet with Baluns designed for CVI (HD over coax)...this will allow you to easily upgrade to ip at a later date. Make sure to use quality cable (not junk from ebay that is CCA copper clad aluminum junk). If you dont run ethernet, use a single cable, extending cables causing signal attenuation.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to use ethernet with Baluns designed for CVI (HD over coax)...this will allow you to easily upgrade to ip at a later date. Make sure to use quality cable (not junk from ebay that is CCA copper clad aluminum junk). If you dont run ethernet, use a single cable, extending cables causing signal attenuation.
Very good suggestion. Do you have a recommended balun to use? A search has found a number of options, but it's not clear what makes one good. This one has good reviews, but has a very small number of them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.