Any preferred source for UPS for BI PC/PoE Switch?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm shopping for an uninterruptible power supply that will live next to my BI PC and power just it and the PoE switch, to keep my system running for about an hour in the event of power outages.

The PC is pretty mellow, I'm guessing 50 watts average, plus 9 IP cams (30 W total?). So, 80 Watts... but I'd like some overhead so I would probably rate around 100-120 Watts. Probably puts me in the 1.5kVA class.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528303113&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apc+smart+ups+1500va&psc=1

Do you guys just source from Amazon or something like that or is there some secret watering hole source for decent, inexpensive UPS systems?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 on the CYberPower @fenderman linked. Bought one about 6 months ago and have had a few outages which it handled flawlessly.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm shopping for an uninterruptible power supply that will live next to my BI PC and power just it and the PoE switch, to keep my system running for about an hour in the event of power outages.

The PC is pretty mellow, I'm guessing 50 watts average, plus 9 IP cams (30 W total?). So, 80 Watts... but I'd like some overhead so I would probably rate around 100-120 Watts. Probably puts me in the 1.5kVA class.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1500G/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528303113&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=apc+smart+ups+1500va&psc=1

Do you guys just source from Amazon or something like that or is there some secret watering hole source for decent, inexpensive UPS systems?

the cyberpower units listed before are good. not taking anything away from them.

I just to add I have some experience with these particular APC units.

With the ability to buy and attach the expansion pack to the "pro" unit it might be attractive to some users who want to expand later.

plan on replacing units/batteries every few years whatever they are.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Just circling back on this, I bought the one @fenderman recommended, from Amazon for $179.99. Today after it was fully charged I did a practical test by unplugging it and letting it run to the point of shutoff. Driving my PC and PoE switches with 9 cameras, I got about one hour and twenty minutes of runtime. No problems resuming on restoration of power; UPS powered up and the computer is set to always boot upon power restoration. BI was recording within a minute or so of power on.

PS: One note, I don't have the UPS communicating with the PC to inform the PC of impending power loss. In my experience this causes more trouble than it's worth. While it may get an orderly shutdown, I've often had problems getting the PC to automatically reboot upon power restoration if it shut down due to UPS signal to do so.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PS: One note, I don't have the UPS communicating with the PC to inform the PC of impending power loss. In my experience this causes more trouble than it's worth. While it may get an orderly shutdown, I've often had problems getting the PC to automatically reboot upon power restoration if it shut down due to UPS signal to do so.
Try disabling hibernation in Windows. There's a command to do it. For some reason the software likes to hibernate instead of shutting down and that's where the reboot problems come from.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try disabling hibernation in Windows. There's a command to do it. For some reason the software likes to hibernate instead of shutting down and that's where the reboot problems come from.
I don't believe it will ever turn on after a manual shutdown unless possibly the battery also runs out.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed. And my system has hibernation disabled anyway. It stays on! With Windows updates disabled 35 days at a stretch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just circling back on this, I bought the one @fenderman recommended, from Amazon for $179.99. Today after it was fully charged I did a practical test by unplugging it and letting it run to the point of shutoff. Driving my PC and PoE switches with 9 cameras, I got about one hour and twenty minutes of runtime. No problems resuming on restoration of power; UPS powered up and the computer is set to always boot upon power restoration. BI was recording within a minute or so of power on.

Thanks for the test.

How many watts of load did the unit say you had? What were all of the devices you had connected (in case there was more than your PC and PoE)?

How much runtime did the estimate say before you unplugged the UPS?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the test.

How many watts of load did the unit say you had? What were all of the devices you had connected (in case there was more than your PC and PoE)?

How much runtime did the estimate say before you unplugged the UPS?
Hi @nuraman00 , sorry for the slow response.

In my case, it was only the PC, an 8-port PoE switch, a single-port PoE injector for my ninth camera, the cameras fed by the PoE, and a small 4 port (non-PoE) switch. No other devices. I am sorry I didn't check to see the load at the time, but I just checked and it updates continually ranging from a low of about 26W to a high of about 80W, updating at least once per second bouncing around from high to low. The runtime estimate prior to unplugging varied from about 65 minutes to 110 minutes; actual runtime was about 80 minutes, so toward the lower end of the various estimates. So the average wattage it puts out for my system is probably closer to the higher end than the lower end of what I reported.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @nuraman00 , sorry for the slow response.

In my case, it was only the PC, an 8-port PoE switch, a single-port PoE injector for my ninth camera, the cameras fed by the PoE, and a small 4 port (non-PoE) switch. No other devices. I am sorry I didn't check to see the load at the time, but I just checked and it updates continually ranging from a low of about 26W to a high of about 80W, updating at least once per second bouncing around from high to low. The runtime estimate prior to unplugging varied from about 65 minutes to 110 minutes; actual runtime was about 80 minutes, so toward the lower end of the various estimates. So the average wattage it puts out for my system is probably closer to the higher end than the lower end of what I reported.
Thank you!

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to find this thread- I've also got a G1 Prodesk and have the same needs as @Frankenscript, however would rather not spend $180 on a UPS right now.

We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks and are prone to power flickers and very brief outages (usually just long enough to reset all the clocks and shut down a PC, then right back on again).

Would I be alright with the $120 version w/850VA/510W or is there a better option for me?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to find this thread- I've also got a G1 Prodesk and have the same needs as @Frankenscript, however would rather not spend $180 on a UPS right now.

We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks and are prone to power flickers and very brief outages (usually just long enough to reset all the clocks and shut down a PC, then right back on again).

Would I be alright with the $120 version w/850VA/510W or is there a better option for me?
What's the max watts of all of your stuff that's plugged into the UPS?

I think you would be ok, but the answer to this is important. What model UPS are you considering?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure what the max watts is- it would be a HP Prodesk, PoE switch, 4 cams currently with more coming, and monitor/keyboard.

I was looking at this one that @fenderman recommended.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure what the max watts is- it would be a HP Prodesk, PoE switch, 4 cams currently with more coming, and monitor/keyboard.

Thanks. And can you list the equipment you will want backed up by that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Note Apc also has a new line of pure sine wave ups. The usb-c port is a nice touch if you use it at your desk. It has enough power for rapid charging. The first batch of these had an annoying humming issues (see reviews) but the two I purchased for my office dont have that problem (or at least I cant hear it). The ethernet protection is gigabit on the apc (the old cyberpowers were not, though I dont know about the newer units as mine are all several years old. Its not mention in the specs I could find)
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1500MS/dp/B0779LDRWZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=NLZHGYJ6Y4XN&keywords=apc+pure+sine+wave&qid=1559084274&s=electronics&sprefix=apc+pure,electronics,143&sr=1-3