Any recommendations on free Windows NVR software?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are there any decent free ( or really cheap) Windows based NVR apps that may also have a phone app for remote viewing anyone could recommend?

A friend who has only 1 cheap-o Foscam camera and uses Windows 10 (laptop I think) was asking me this morning about software options.
He may get into more\better cameras later but for now just wants to mess around with this one and does not want to throw any money at it yet.

I use BI for my cameras, (which does have a free trial period but he wants something free for a longer term) and my primary computer is a mac, so I did not have any Windows app recommendations that I have used other than BI.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I use a NVSIP{ on my IPhone and NVSIP or CMS on my Windows 7 Laptop.
GeorgeLawshe

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are there any decent free ( or really cheap) Windows based NVR apps that may also have a phone app for remote viewing anyone could recommend?

A friend who has only 1 cheap-o Foscam camera and uses Windows 10 (laptop I think) was asking me this morning about software options.
He may get into more\better cameras later but for now just wants to mess around with this one and does not want to throw any money at it yet.

I use BI for my cameras, (which does have a free trial period but he wants something free for a longer term) and my primary computer is a mac, so I did not have any Windows app recommendations that I have used other than BI.
Please be more specific about what you expect from a NVR, the real purpose and requested features because installing Millestone to watch for a single camera may be oversized solution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned milestone is free and good for up to eight cams.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks At the moment he has just the one camera.
I looked at Milestone. It looks robust, more than he'd need feature wise but why not.
He just wants to be able to record the camera stream and motion events to his PC and be able to view \ be notified of events on a remote device like phone or tablet.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks At the moment he has just the one camera.
I looked at Milestone. It looks robust, more than he'd need feature wise but why not.
He just wants to be able to record the camera stream and motion events to his PC and be able to view \ be notified of events on a remote device like phone or tablet.
For motion detection based recording (non 24/24) Contacam or NetcamStudio (2 cams max) are free, easy to install/setup, small sized installation.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Milestone XProtect Essential if probably your best bet. Another option is Netcam Studio which is pretty easy to setup and allows 2 cameras for free.