Any security alarm system that works with 3rd party cameras?

louman

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for a security alarm system that can work with 3rd party cameras, i.e Hikvision ones. Does anyone have experience on this ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for a security alarm system that can work with 3rd party cameras, i.e Hikvision ones. Does anyone have experience on this ?
What are you trying to accomplish?

louman

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty much like the honeywell total connect system where the alert/video view get integrated together in the same app. Most if not all of those name brand system have their own protocol therefore can't support 3rd party cameras.

Looking for any DIY security alarm system that support open Onvif camera integration.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much like the honeywell total connect system where the alert/video view get integrated together in the same app. Most if not all of those name brand system have their own protocol therefore can't support 3rd party cameras.

Looking for any DIY security alarm system that support open Onvif camera integration.
You dont want to rely on alarm companies who do a terrible job with their apps. Using a superior ip camera system is the best way to go. There is no benefit to having it integrated into a single app.

louman

n3wb
Reaction score
Running two separate apps for the same purpose is inefficient to say the least. Well, hope to find such integrated solution at the big show this week.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Running two separate apps for the same purpose is inefficient to say the least. Well, hope to find such integrated solution at the big show this week.
These are smart phone apps, they are not running until you open them, its not inefficient at all. They are not used for the same purpose. One is used to arm disarm an alarm system. The other is used to view your cameras. Makes no sense to me. Get the BEST value alarm system and the BEST value camera system. The alarm systems that have integrated cameras use JUNK cameras and charge a fortune.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always hold concerns about CCTV inside the house, that can be viewed from outside the house.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These are smart phone apps, they are not running until you open them, its not inefficient at all. They are not used for the same purpose. One is used to arm disarm an alarm system. The other is used to view your cameras. Makes no sense to me. Get the BEST value alarm system and the BEST value camera system. The alarm systems that have integrated cameras use JUNK cameras and charge a fortune.
I agree. Also why pay twice to view your own cameras thru their server??

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lock your self into a stupid vendor with crappy security just so you dont have to install a 2nd app: brilliant! marketing teams love you ppl.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
seen a host of all-in-one solutions from at&t to honeywell and they all are crutched somewhere, that's the bottom line. The reason most of them work to any degree is the fact that they have a controlled group of hardware they use. Now you are asking to use whatever you want and it works perfectly in one app. Yeah that will be the day.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have potential customers that can't wait to get away from ADT, Vivint, ATT and any other flop of a security company! They realize how much of a waste of their money those systems and fees are.