Any tricks when recording on a foggy night

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had an issue recently when there was thick fog and was vandalized. The person whom I suspect and reason I installed my system has a cctv system as well and is up in the middle of the night so i suspect they turned on their monitor saw the same swarm of bees effect and thought that makes a good time to vandalize and get away with it. I have some motion lights but thinking of placing some at chest levelto get light lower and out. Any ideas. My cams are 4k and work great all other times

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
they turned on their monitor saw the same swarm of bees effect
You will not get this effect with an ultra-low-light camera that can be left in colour mode at night.
Even quite thick fog has little effect.
It's the IR reflecting / refracting off the tiny water droplets that causes this effect.

Reaction score
You will not get this effect with an ultra-low-light camera that can be left in colour mode at night.
Even quite thick fog has little effect.
It's the IR reflecting / refracting off the tiny water droplets that causes this effect.
thanks for reply, do you think the lorex 4k bullets can be set like that. they have color record at night settings what settinging for low light?

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the (unspecified) Lorex 4k bullets - but I'd be surprised if they are ultra-low-light cameras.

Other members will likely confirm.
I know i can record at night without the infrared and if thats the main issue with fog then i can switch to color mode and not use infrared and let the flood lights close to garage provide light on target

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That will make a big difference, if there is enough light for good video.
Definitely worth a try.

The specs for the LBV8721AB show :
Min. Illumination 0.01 Lux without IR LED, 0 Lux with IR LED
That's not ultra-low-light.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for reply, do you think the lorex 4k bullets can be set like that. they have color record at night settings what settinging for low light?
Hi @Mike Williams

The Lorex "4K" models from Dahua appear to be similar, w/o the IVS functionality tho, to the Dahua OEM international models IPC-HxW48xx and IPC-HxW58xx as well as the newer "30 fps" one which appears similar to IPC-HFW1831E ( iirc the model number ). ( note - some Lorex "4K" NVR / IP PoE cameras are not Dahua OEM )

That noted, their low light ability is not as good as the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight models. They are still better than many older model cameras, and if you have enough ambient light it is worth attempting to see what sort of picture you can get. Remember you may need to tune the camera a bit to handle moving objects.

What you may also want to try is adding a Dahua OEM 2MP starlight camera to your mix to get better low light coverage of the most critical views.

Reaction score
ok so i am sol then? i will have to resort to beating my neighbor senseless with a bat I guess lol
interestingly his camera were "not" working during the same time not sure if he was still recording using day mode or something but the infrared was not active Doesnt look like we have same system

Reaction score
ok so i am sol then? i will have to resort to beating my neighbor senseless with a bat I guess lol
interestingly his camera were "not" working during the same time not sure if he was still recording using day mode or something but the infrared was not active Doesnt look like we have same system
Will the
Hi @Mike Williams

The Lorex "4K" models from Dahua appear to be similar, w/o the IVS functionality tho, to the Dahua OEM international models IPC-HxW48xx and IPC-HxW58xx as well as the newer "30 fps" one which appears similar to IPC-HFW1831E ( iirc the model number ). ( note - some Lorex "4K" NVR / IP PoE cameras are not Dahua OEM )

That noted, their low light ability is not as good as the 2MP Dahua OEM starlight models. They are still better than many older model cameras, and if you have enough ambient light it is worth attempting to see what sort of picture you can get. Remember you may need to tune the camera a bit to handle moving objects.

What you may also want to try is adding a Dahua OEM 2MP starlight camera to your mix to get better low light coverage of the most critical views.
will the dahua oem 2mp work with thre lorex nvr?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @Mike Williams

There's plenty of delinquents out at night - so it is hard to attribute without evidence. I highly doubt your neighbor would have done that knowing there was a chance to get caught.

Do search the forum for notes on how others have added Dahua OEM cameras to Lorex branded Dahua OEM NVRs.

While it is not plug and play - you need to take sometime to adjust the IP / port settings and user/ password - it can be done well. Note the IVS features on the camera will not be accessible on the Lorex NVR.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may try to disable the IR on the Camera and place external IR lighting off to the the side of the cam. That way you would not get direct IR reflection back to the cam.