Any way to get 3mp 12mm camera capture license Plates?

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I ever ran an LPR system, what i thought about doing was mounting an outdoor IR light and mounting it on a tree high up facing downward and powering it from one of my low voltage landscape lighting extensions since they are both 12v. Something like below. If you have a tree near the street and you mounted it high enough passerby's would likely not see it as its out of their peripheral vision. The best part is I have my landscape lighting operating from dusk till dawn so it would only be powered when the cameras needed it. An option for you at least. This would take attention off the camera itself.

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414176834&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+IR+light

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I ever ran an LPR system, what i thought about doing was mounting an outdoor IR light and mounting it on a tree high up facing downward and powering it from one of my low voltage landscape lighting extensions since they are both 12v. Something like below. If you have a tree near the street and you mounted it high enough passerby's would likely not see it as its out of their peripheral vision. The best part is I have my landscape lighting operating from dusk till dawn so it would only be powered when the cameras needed it. An option for you at least. This would take attention off the camera itself.

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414176834&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+IR+light

Excellent suggestion! I will definitely look into that and play around! Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just for comparison, the first photo is 1/750 exposure and the next two are 1/2000. The truck is going fast and the van is slowly pulling away.....

LPR.20141024_130516_1.jpgLPR.20141024_130610_1.jpgLPR.20141024_130821_1.jpg

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lebeter, I put up a small 12 volt IR light and am going to see how it works tonight. I have disabled the "Smart IR" in the camera settings and reset it to "automatic" (day/night) mode, in the hopes that the cameras IR will not light up. Just for clarification, here is tonight's experiment...

Slide1.JPG

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cool look forward to seeing results, and gauging by the plates we are in the same state ;)

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't seem to find any place within the Hikvision config. software to set up a day vs. night profile. The following two photos are simply changing the exposure. The first one was 1/2000 and the second is 1/3.

Any ideas?

LPR.20141024_181922_1.jpg LPR.20141024_182546_1.jpg

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those shots look very good to me.
I'm thinking I have daytime captures figured out, now I need to work the nighttime captures..... I may not get License plates at night, but it can still capture people.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I may not get License plates at night, but it can still capture people.
you wont get both; its a one or the other.. if you can capture people then plates will be over exposed bright reflections.. if you can capture plates then it will be almost black except for plates .

you need 2 separate cameras to get both people and plates at night; there is no way around this... you also need alot of IR power to overcome headlights if your trying to read front plates.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you wont get both; its a one or the other.. if you can capture people then plates will be over exposed bright reflections.. if you can capture plates then it will be almost black except for plates .

you need 2 separate cameras to get both people and plates at night; there is no way around this... you also need alot of IR power to overcome headlights if your trying to read front plates.
Thank you nayr! You've saved me a lot of wasted time trying to configure it to do two things!

I did pick up one of those $800 License Plate reading cameras. I wasn't smart enough at the time to hold out and wait to pick up one closer to the $1300-1500 range... So I have what I have to play with.

It is a 50mm camera but wow is the Infra red bright! It will at least let me work out placement for a night time license plate camera.

bigbadw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cool look forward to seeing results, and gauging by the plates we are in the same state ;)
Where you be at, Lebeter? I'm up at the base of Tiger Mountain in the foothills. Hobart/Maple Valley

xkpmg

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-i5 close to the street. Mainly wondering if anyone has any experience on how to get this model camera or recommend something better that can capture plates at nighttime? Don't need the LP recognition, but a legible plate or car description would be a good start. Like more people have stated, the headlights or the IR reflection off the plate is enough to obscure the plates or car through overexposure.

Is there some setting that works best for this setup or another camera that might work better?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a Hikvision DS-2CD2232-i5 close to the street. Mainly wondering if anyone has any experience on how to get this model camera or recommend something better that can capture plates at nighttime? Don't need the LP recognition, but a legible plate or car description would be a good start. Like more people have stated, the headlights or the IR reflection off the plate is enough to obscure the plates or car through overexposure.

Is there some setting that works best for this setup or another camera that might work better?
there are several threads in the lpr section of this forum explaining how to properly set the camera...you need to adjust the exposure.