Any way to separate triggered clips from continuous?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a cam that is recording 24/7 to an SSD fast drive that is not backed up in the 'New' folder, because I don't need those clips for very long (no more than a week).

I also have the motion sensor setup, and it creates alerts that point to parts of the clips successfully. However, what I want is for a second video to be created when triggered, in the 'Stored' folder, which is a regular HDD that automatically gets backed up immediately.

So basically I'd have my 4gb files constantly recording, plus the clip videos when triggers occur in 'Stored'.

Is there any way to do this?

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an HDD that is designed for long term storage, and all clips from all cameras go to it and it's automatically (and immediately) sync'd to cloud storage.

However, I don't want 4gb * 7 days of continuous video being backed up, it's 99% worthless. But if there is a trigger, it's almost always because I want to record it, and trigger length is set to 1 minute. So I want a separate, 1 minute video that goes to the HDD and gets backed up, in case there's an issue in the interim with the SSD / continuous file.

To expand on this: if someone broke in the house they could simply steal the computer and I'd lose all the video except what's been sync'd to cloud, which happens as video is being recorded via a trigger. As such, in this scenario, the only saved video i

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You also have the SD in the camera, if you have that set up. Clips are stored in its own folder, set it to your cloud backup folder and it should back it up like you want. Or am i missing something.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
define a copy camera with different set of behavior. So you have two cameras in BI defined on a single stream.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
You also have the SD in the camera, if you have that set up. Clips are stored in its own folder, set it to your cloud backup folder and it should back it up like you want. Or am i missing something.
No, I think there was a misunderstanding. I have an SSD (solid state drive, not SD card) recording the continuous video because it's so fast, and a separate, HDD (regular hard drive) where clips go from all other cams (no others are continuous) and the HDD is automatically backed up to sync. Blue Iris is doing all the recording.

Everything works great, except if the cam recording continuous is triggered, I want a separate video file to be created with the 1 min of the trigger video on the HDD so it's immediately also pushed into the cloud.

define a copy camera with different set of behavior. So you have two cameras in BI defined on a single stream.
That is an option I had not thought of, and it's a good idea. The only down-side with having the camera twice is that it'll show up everywhere twice, including Blue Iris, and all the integration I've done into SmartThings and other applications which will be fairly messy.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the continuous record do not have alerts. On the alters camera just record the alerts. You can declare one camera as master, and the other one as hidden, so you see only one feed. It is my understanding that the data from the camera only is received once, so no increase in network traffic.

I use the copy camera to record continuous to a NAS back up device, with no alerts on the backup feed.

You will need to play around with the settings to get the correct behavior. After you think you have it correct, restart BI, I have had some issues with copy camera with different settings after a reboot.

automaton

n3wb
Reaction score
On the continuous record do not have alerts. On the alters camera just record the alerts. You can declare one camera as master, and the other one as hidden, so you see only one feed. It is my understanding that the data from the camera only is received once, so no increase in network traffic.

I use the copy camera to record continuous to a NAS back up device, with no alerts on the backup feed.

You will need to play around with the settings to get the correct behavior. After you think you have it correct, restart BI, I have had some issues with copy camera with different settings after a reboot.
This sounds like it would work. How do you set one to be master, and one to be hidden? I'd basically make a copy which is 'hidden' and does the trigger recording, and nothing else.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not home at the moment, so I can not see the screens. But there is a hidden check box on the main camera definition. I believe that there is a master check box some where on the camera definition, but can not remember the tab.