Anyone changed the NVR default network to avoid static routes on router Fend/Alastai?

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys Fender/Alastair/ Anyone

I have some cameras going well with SD and now I want to integrate the NVR I've bought. I've read quite a few of the reviews re camera internet connectivity and some of the challenges, static routes, virtual host etc .

I also want to preserve the embedded camera motion/line/intruder email functionality because of the higher res photos sent and so retain some of that onboard camera intelligence.

The router is on LAN network 192.168.1.x with the default gateway 192.168.1.254.

My question is HAS ANYONE CHANGED the default NVR network from (I think it was) 192.168.254.x to 192.168.1.x and thereby (hopefully) avoid requiring to add the static routes on the router so that the router knows what LAN interface on the router (network 192.168.1.x) leads to the NVR hosts, on 192.168.254.x NVR Cameras.

1. Would the router and the NVR being on the same network this get around having to input the static routes in the router?
2. Would this work has anyone done it? I'm concerned about changing default settings re NVR LAN Address.
3. Can I even change the NVR Host Camera network to 192.168.1.x??

Sometimes when you change defaults it introduces all sorts of other software errors, as no doubt these NVRs are all tested as they come with respect to default networks 192.168.254.x and I want to avoid opening up another can of worms. There's enough functionality broken like Push Notifications for line and intruder etc.

I have all other functionality working re surveillance center, push notifications (motion - line/ intruder broken) , and not looking forward to screwing all this up putting in the NVR now. haha :)

Reason I'm asking this is I'm not sure my router does static routes as its standard Technicolor 589 supplied from the Telco and even if it does (via ssh/ telnet) I'm not sure it will preserve them over restart.

cheers guys

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Anyone changed the NVR default network to avoid static routes on router Fend/Alas

I must admit I have not tried changing the NVR PoE network IP addresses to be in the same range as the LAN addresses to see what would happen.
I suspect to make that work, you'd have to connect one of the PoE ports to the LAN - because the NVR isn't going to route internally from its LAN interface to the internal PoE interface for those cameras that are on the PoE ports, so the cameras will not be accessible.
There may also be the possibility of a network loop, via the extra cable, if traffic does flow internal to the NVR.
Provided you have a good idea of the starting point, and make a copy of the device and IPC configurations before you change anything, it would be easy enough to test out.
And even if the web GUI goes a bit crazy and inaccessible, there is always the VGA/HDMI interface to fix things up again, independent of the network.