Anyone else have quality issues with Dahua NVR?

timecritic

n3wb
Reaction score
I have gone though 3 of these units in 3 years. First one was under warranty so they shipped the replacement part. That lasted another year till the warranty was up. I just bought another one and it lasted a weekend. I feel these should last longer. I was planning on putting an amcrest NVR in but wasn't sure if my Dahua cameras would work. Any ideas on that or a better quality NVR?
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have gone though 3 of these units in 3 years. First one was under warranty so they shipped the replacement part. That lasted another year till the warranty was up. I just bought another one and it lasted a weekend. I feel these should last longer. I was planning on putting an amcrest NVR in but wasn't sure if my Dahua cameras would work. Any ideas on that or a better quality NVR?
Thanks
That is very unusual. I would check the power and ensure there is no excessive heat/cold in the location the NVR is used.
Amcrest cameras and NVR's are manufactured by dahua.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While Amcrest is made by Dahua, in all likelihood the Amcrest would be cheaper because it also has way less bandwidth capabilities than the Dahua, so you would end up having to downrez or other compromises going to it.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a number of them going strong at 4-5 years. I have had two PoE models that lost a bank of ports. (4)
One was clearly a nearby lightning strike, the other I was never able to determine. If there is a weak point that seems to be it with the onboard PoE models.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the part you are replacing each time? is it the powersupply?
Clearly your supply voltage is erratic, and/or browning out, or on a Noisy high demand or near the limit of the breaker,,,,Or the Nuetral and hot are crossed in the box.....somethings fishy about the power your getting from the wall......
After 3.
One is bad luck
2 is a coincidence
3 is a pattern

timecritic

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
The first one was power supply. Replaced that and the board went bad a year later. This one now seems like the main board is bad. As for the 120v source. I have my outside receiver hooked up to the same power source with no issues on that. That receiver has been used for 15 years

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
A power spike be it lightning or a voltage surge from the power company
attempting to "clear the line" from a branch etc. can be the problem. Just because one might survive the
original Gremlin, the rest of the damage will show up later.

Understand the "Bathtub of Failure" of electric components, one might the view of the "U"
shape of a bathtub. Failures are high at the beginning and end. As one gets to the bottom of the tub,
failures are low with the sides high. The surge makes the bottom real skinny sometimes!!

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While Amcrest is made by Dahua, in all likelihood the Amcrest would be cheaper because it also has way less bandwidth capabilities than the Dahua, so you would end up having to downrez or other compromises going to it.
What bandwidth are you referencing?
Dahua NVR5232 and Amcrest NV5232 both have maximum 320 Mbps Incoming bandwidth.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What bandwidth are you referencing?
Dahua NVR5232 and Amcrest NV5232 both have maximum 320 Mbps Incoming bandwidth.
Those are basically the same NVR just different branding lol.

I thought you were going for a budget Amcrest that caps out at like 80Mbps LOL

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can certainly try an Amcrest.....I have the Nvr-4208 That was running for a year in an outbuilding, -22F + 120F.
just at the bottom of the trusses. Now I've brought it home.
It had the jankiest Power ever seen known to man( almost)
It was powered from a light socket with a 2 prong outlet adapter...that light switch was taped in the on position, with a 25' extension cord,
So by rights it should be dead.
But it's happy as a clam....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can certainly try an Amcrest.....I have the Nvr-4208 That was running for a year in an outbuilding, -22F + 120F.
just at the bottom of the trusses. Now I've brought it home.
It had the jankiest Power ever seen known to man( almost)
It was powered from a light socket with a 2 prong outlet adapter...that light switch was taped in the on position, with a 25' extension cord,
So by rights it should be dead.
But it's happy as a clam....
And it was plugged into this outlet :lmao:

1663240042185.png

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might want to invest in a power conditioner. I install about 100 Dahua nvrs a year since they replaced FLIR and have had great luck with them. About your warranty, you might find a better vendor; they have 3 year warranty for end users and 5 years for us.