Anyone get SWANN NHD-815CAM working with Blue Iris?

Reaction score
So, I went to Frys this weekend looking for a good, economical wired IP camera to add to my BI system, since the mounting is only about 10' away from one of my Ethernet switches. The '815 had good specs, and I asked the guy if it would work with BI, and he's like Sure, no problem, works great!

So I buy it, bring it home, and of course the BI defaults for Swann don't work. After poking around in various places, I did find the video feeds in some obscure place on their FTP site:

rtsp://<ip>:554/h264Preview_01_main (2304x1296)
rtsp://<ip>:554/h264Preview_01_sub (640x360)

Because I had video I went ahead and mounted it. If you know Frys, you know that this means no returning it now.

Unlike their prior products, according to a post from Swann and cross-posted to Reddit, the '815 is NOT a Hikvision product. Their discovery and configuration tools do not work, and it appears that Swann does not provide any PC utilities for configuring the camera. I do not have a Swann DVR, and so I cannot configure the camera It has a clock set to 1969, a default (incorrect) text overlay, etc., and I have not yet found a working audio feed.

Has anyone reversed this camera's protocols yet?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I went to Frys this weekend looking for a good, economical wired IP camera to add to my BI system, since the mounting is only about 10' away from one of my Ethernet switches. The '815 had good specs, and I asked the guy if it would work with BI, and he's like Sure, no problem, works great!

So I buy it, bring it home, and of course the BI defaults for Swann don't work. After poking around in various places, I did find the video feeds in some obscure place on their FTP site:
rtsp://<ip>:554/h264Preview_01_main (2304x1296)
rtsp://<ip>:554/h264Preview_01_sub (640x360)

Because I had video I went ahead and mounted it. If you know Frys, you know that this means no returning it now.

Unlike their prior products, according to a post from Swann and cross-posted to Reddit, the '815 is NOT a Hikvision product. Their discovery and configuration tools do not work, and it appears that Swann does not provide any PC utilities for configuring the camera. I do not have a Swann DVR, and so I cannot configure the camera It has a clock set to 1969, a default (incorrect) text overlay, etc., and I have not yet found a working audio feed.

Has anyone reversed this camera's protocols yet?
Welcome to the forum...since you have the path, simply select generic rtsp and use the known path...you can also simply select the amcrest 960h profile, it uses the same path. You are correct, it is not hikvision or at least is not compatible with hikvision. Likely doesnt support onvif..
You can check with your credit card company to see if they will allow you to return it to them even if frys does not (many cards have this feature, with a yearly max)

Reaction score
...you can also simply select the amcrest 960h profile, it uses the same path.
Many thanks, ill try the generic profile. I don't have a path for audio, yet. Also, the HD feed has lots of errors, but I'm not yet 100% confident in the switch near the camera.

Reaction score
If you're still looking for the tool to configure your camera, I use this one which also works with ReoLink cameras for the Swann cameras I have. http://www.reo-link.com/manual
Just download their NVR Setup tool which works with cameras and nvr units.

zk4au1212

n3wb
Reaction score
FirmwareGod ---> Were you ever able to get this working correctly... Audio & Video on the Swann NHD-815's? I was thinking about buying these camera's to setup with the Blue Iris software but now I find one or 2 of these posts and makes me nervous. I just want to make sure you were able to get both up and running. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FirmwareGod ---> Were you ever able to get this working correctly... Audio & Video on the Swann NHD-815's? I was thinking about buying these camera's to setup with the Blue Iris software but now I find one or 2 of these posts and makes me nervous. I just want to make sure you were able to get both up and running. Thanks.
Why mess with these when you can get hikvision turrets for about the same price.. Known to work.

zk4au1212

n3wb
Reaction score
Most of the hikvision stuff that is sold online are the Chinese cameras that you cannot get support or upgrade the firmware on that's why.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the hikvision stuff that is sold online are the Chinese cameras that you cannot get support or upgrade the firmware on that's why.
Read this forum... You will find US region cameras with warranty..

CharlieX

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're still looking for the tool to configure your camera, I use this one which also works with ReoLink cameras for the Swann cameras I have. http://www.reo-link.com/manual
Just download their NVR Setup tool which works with cameras and nvr units.
The reo link software was a lifesaver - I was able connect and configure the cam, video working fine now in BI, however have not been able to get the audio working in BI yet, but great tip. Can now get access to all the cams settings and firmware upgrade, etc.

You sir are a steely eyed missile man.

For those interested, the NHD-815 info - Model: IPC_388M (not sure what brand though)

I set the camera up in BI under the pre selected list - SWANN, and used the NHD-810 profile - it seemed to work. I used reolink software to configure the camera's built in time stamp to local time. The reolink software also allows you to set the camera with a static IP, should you desire.

The camera itself has excellent night vision, but is quite dim in the day compared to my other cams which have more vibrant colour - guess it is geared as a security cam rather than a cam that takes nice looking videos. Crystal clear images.

Chalky

n3wb
Reaction score
Going through similar setup myself, was your IP defaulting to DHCP?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to figure out what brand the NHD-815 really is? Is it Dahua now? It looks a lot like Amcrest's defunct Q-Cam line (which are apparently made by Dahua but there is no imperative evidence on this). I'm looking forward to using CMS 2.0 with my Swann setup, but if there is no web-interface, then I might need to reconsider the options. Its quite absurd because there is no company out there that is willing to enable third-party ONVIF support on these DIY-kits. The Blue Iris option may seem as a versatile tool, but would want the flexibility to not only monitor from the comfort of the premises but remotely from anywhere around the world as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The Blue Iris option may seem as a versatile tool, but would want the flexibility to not only monitor from the comfort of the premises but remotely from anywhere around the world as well.
Why do you think blue iris cannot do that?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought Blue Iris would work only within the network it is configured in. With firewall built into network routers, it would almost seem improbable to gain access to the configuration from the other side of the world. If that's not the case, I should probably read more about it. :)

Why do you think blue iris cannot do that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Blue Iris would work only within the network it is configured in. With firewall built into network routers, it would almost seem improbable to gain access to the configuration from the other side of the world. If that's not the case, I should probably read more about it. :)
That is what a firewall is supposed to do, with blue iris you either setup a vpn or port forward to view remotely. How else do you expect to remotely view video without passing it through some third parties "secure"o_O servers?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a pretty "nasty" network setup here, where the internet modem (router) is basically the middleman between the world wide web and the main network on the premises. My main router bridged with my internet modem, and I have another router and a couple of network extenders that are setup as access points in conjunction with the main router. I can imagine myself setting up a number of port forwarding requests.

That is what a firewall is supposed to do, with blue iris you either setup a vpn or port forward to view remotely. How else do you expect to remotely view video without passing it through some third parties "secure"o_O servers?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a pretty "nasty" network setup here, where the internet modem (router) is basically the middleman between the world wide web and the main network on the premises. My main router bridged with my internet modem, and I have another router and a couple of network extenders that are setup as access points in conjunction with the main router. I can imagine myself setting up a number of port forwarding requests.
I dont see why that matters....
Want a secure connection? setup a vpn...

Chalky

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to figure out what brand the NHD-815 really is? Is it Dahua now? It looks a lot like Amcrest's defunct Q-Cam line (which are apparently made by Dahua but there is no imperative evidence on this). I'm looking forward to using CMS 2.0 with my Swann setup, but if there is no web-interface, then I might need to reconsider the options. Its quite absurd because there is no company out there that is willing to enable third-party ONVIF support on these DIY-kits. The Blue Iris option may seem as a versatile tool, but would want the flexibility to not only monitor from the comfort of the premises but remotely from anywhere around the world as well.
No but I did figure out who makes their similar 4M pixel cameras. Will dig that out when home and post, may help.