Anyone have a good explanation of this phenomenon?

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Hikvision 4MP DS-2CD2042WD-I caught this image:
http://tetrion.com/skycam/201810250858.jpg

Notice the "ghost bird" in the sky. It's pretty cool. But how did this happen? This is a single image grabbed from Blue Iris. Does it have something to do with slow shutter speed (I have shutter speed set to 1/3) and the way images are captured/scanned in the camera?

On a side note, check out my sky & weather cam here (uses the same Hikvision 4MP DS-2CD2042WD-I that caught the above image):
Lantana Sky & Weather Cam

Last edited:

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks like you captured the image of a hypersonic alien spacecraft.

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have seen other moving objects leave trails like this with the camera. I have not noticed this on my 2032 cameras but I don't have the exposure set so long (and the FPS rate so low) on those because those are actual security cameras whereas with this one it is more of a sky and weather camera so I don't care about freezing motion.... but if this was a security camera I would not be happy with such trailing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen other moving objects leave trails like this with the camera. I have not noticed this on my 2032 cameras but I don't have the exposure set so long (and the FPS rate so low) on those because those are actual security cameras whereas with this one it is more of a sky and weather camera so I don't care about freezing motion.... but if this was a security camera I would not be happy with such trailing.
Exposure and or high wdr

TidalWaveOne

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all! I figured it was something like that... just wanted to make sure there wasn't actually something wrong with the camera (didn't think there was) and to share the image.

Last edited: