Anyone have a Hikvision DS-HD2 on ONVIF or RTSP?

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a new Hikvision DS-HD2 doorbell camera. Surely it has the same and better capabilities as the DS-HD1, no? Ha.

I've got the camera set up in the Hik-Connect app. That works.

I've been working through some of the Hikvision Doorbell 101 tips, trying to get external access to the camera.

Setting it up as ONVIF in Synology Surveillance Station fails at the authentication step with "Unable to Connect to the Camera" (using the Verification Code as the password).

Trying to stream in VLC Media player (rtsp:/admin:ABCDEF@192.168.1.14:554/Streaming/Channels/101) says it is "unable to open the MRL".

Trying to get a snapshot from never connects.

I do see the device in the SADP Tool but based on the dire warnings in the 101, have not tried changing the password in the tool.

I note that the Quick Start Guide for the DS-HD1 discusses NVR support where the Guide for the DS-HD2 does not, although a B&H Q&A says it does with with an NVR.

Has anyone gotten this camera connected to Blue Iris / Synology / any NVR? Or do I need to look for an older doorbell camera that supports ONVIF?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a new Hikvision DS-HD2 doorbell camera. Surely it has the same and better capabilities as the DS-HD1, no? Ha.

I've got the camera set up in the Hik-Connect app. That works.

I've been working through some of the Hikvision Doorbell 101 tips, trying to get external access to the camera.

Setting it up as ONVIF in Synology Surveillance Station fails at the authentication step with "Unable to Connect to the Camera" (using the Verification Code as the password).

Trying to stream in VLC Media player (rtsp:/admin:ABCDEF@192.168.1.14:554/Streaming/Channels/101) says it is "unable to open the MRL".

Trying to get a snapshot from never connects.

I do see the device in the SADP Tool but based on the dire warnings in the 101, have not tried changing the password in the tool.

I note that the Quick Start Guide for the DS-HD1 discusses NVR support where the Guide for the DS-HD2 does not, although a B&H Q&A says it does with with an NVR.

Has anyone gotten this camera connected to Blue Iris / Synology / any NVR? Or do I need to look for an older doorbell camera that supports ONVIF?
These are the two URL streams that should work

1679272811987.png

Of course replacing the password on the back of the DB and put in your IP.

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, @David L ! I was missing a forward slash. Yes, those RTSP streams work, with sound.

I also found here how to add a user-defined camera with an RTSP stream to Synology. Oddly, a snapshot image shows up when I Test Connection, but t doesn't actually stream and record moving images.

I see you've gone to the Reolink. I may need to do that. One thing I do like about the Hik DS-HD2 is that I can continue using my vintage mechanical chime indoors. Seems like I read that the Reolink won't interface with existing chimes...

Last edited:

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
One surprising thing is that the resolution of the 101 main stream changes depending on the resolution setting in the phone app:

Standard: 720x720
HD: 1024x1024
Ultra HD: 1536x1536

I'm getting this from the Current Media Information (Ctrl-I) in VLC. Still can't get the stream to display in Synology Surveillance Station.

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you.

First I tried disabling stream encryption from the Android app. (That actually sends a confirmation request via email!) I thought maybe that would let Synology "read" the stream, but it didn't.

I tried that first suggestion above, adding a special HIK_DS-HD2.conf file to the Synology:

[HIK*DS-HD2]
api = custom
resolution_h264 = 1536x1536
default_resolution_h264 = 1536x1536
fps_h264_1536x1536 = 5,10,15
fps_h264_1024x1024 = 5,10,15
default_fps_h264_1536x1536 = 15
default_image-quality = 5

h264 = rtsp
mpeg4 = rtsp
mjpeg = rtsp
motion = h264,mpeg4,mjpeg

motion_param = sensitivity,threshold
rtsp_keepalive = none
rtsp_protocol = auto,udp,tcp

I got the new camera to show up in the list of Synology cams, but I can't authenticate to it with the verification code.

Hikvision Support has confirmed that the DS-HD2 does not support ONVIF. However, using the ONVIF Device Manager, I see that it "sort of" supports ONVIF: I can see device and network info, for example, but GetProfiles fails so it is not surfacing the streams via ONVIF:

DS-HD2 ONVIF.png

Interesting that the model includes "DB1C"--the EzViz part number? Except a DB1C would be half the price...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Hikvsion owns EZVIZ, they are the same Doorbell. What is sad is the prior version the Hik firmware supported ONVIF, but not the EZVIZ version. Thinking EZVIZ is more for consumers? Don't know.

So if you can see the CAM you are almost there. Be sure and use lowercase for admin and uppercase for the verification code/password on the back of your DB. Like you di in VLC.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, @David L ! I was missing a forward slash. Yes, those RTSP streams work, with sound.

I also found here how to add a user-defined camera with an RTSP stream to Synology. Oddly, a snapshot image shows up when I Test Connection, but t doesn't actually stream and record moving images.

I see you've gone to the Reolink. I may need to do that. One thing I do like about the Hik DS-HD2 is that I can continue using my vintage mechanical chime indoors. Seems like I read that the Reolink won't interface with existing chimes...
Yes, but after 3 years of my Laview (DB1 variant) running almost flawlessly. Main reason I switched was the POE version, even though I am presently running their WiFi version. I need to get my cable ran.

You are correct about the Mech. Chime, We have gotten use to the Chime provided and believe me I am old sckool. I have read there there are ways to get the Mech. Chime to work.

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
So if you can see the CAM you are almost there. Be sure and use lowercase for admin and uppercase for the verification code/password on the back of your DB. Like you di in VLC.
Yeah just copied and pasted the same string to VLC and SSS, trimming the "rtsp:/" since SSS assumes that. I've raised a ticket with Synology. We'll see.

What is sad is the prior version the Hik firmware supported ONVIF, but not the EZVIZ version. Thinking EZVIZ is more for consumers? Don't know.
Well the current Hik firmware has also dropped ONVIF. Seems I bought an $80 Hikvision camera and got a $40 EzViz!

I guess I could buy an older DS-HD1 or equivalent. Might be all I want. Not planning on doing POE for this.

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Progress, with the help of Synology support. Kudos to them for supporting an unsupported camera.

In SSS, Edit Camera, Device > Advanced > Streaming information source: change from RTSP to Streaming. I don't understand the difference, but that allows the camera stream to show up in SSS Preview, Monitor Center, and Recordings.

I happened to look back in the DS Cam app on my Android. To my surprise, the phone app can play all the recordings made in RTSP mode. So something is different between DS Cam and the SSS Windows Client.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Progress, with the help of Synology support. Kudos to them for supporting an unsupported camera.

In SSS, Edit Camera, Device > Advanced > Streaming information source: change from RTSP to Streaming. I don't understand the difference, but that allows the camera stream to show up in SSS Preview, Monitor Center, and Recordings.

I happened to look back in the DS Cam app on my Android. To my surprise, the phone app can play all the recordings made in RTSP mode. So something is different between DS Cam and the SSS Windows Client.
Thanks I will add this info to our 101...

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I will add this info to our 101...
I think you may need a 201 ;). Glad to be able to see recordings but not sure I’ll keep the cam—blurry color image at night with porch light on, RTSP stream can’t use camera-based events, probably can’t dewarp in SSS. Maybe I need to lower my expectations for a doorbell cam? How’s the image quality with the Reolink? Can you adjust shutter and gain like a “real” camera?

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you may need a 201 ;). Glad to be able to see recordings but not sure I’ll keep the cam—blurry color image at night with porch light on, RTSP stream can’t use camera-based events, probably can’t dewarp in SSS. Maybe I need to lower my expectations for a doorbell cam? How’s the image quality with the Reolink? Can you adjust shutter and gain like a “real” camera?
So these VDBs are a bit of a scam. They are way too small to be able to house what is needed for a good CAM.

This is well worth the watch:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also check out our Thread:

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
Good info. The video makes out the Reolink as the clear winner for picture quality. I've ordered a Wi-Fi version to test. Because the weekend project to upgrade my security system has now become my full-time hobby for 2023, lol.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good info. The video makes out the Reolink as the clear winner for picture quality. I've ordered a Wi-Fi version to test. Because the weekend project to upgrade my security system has now become my full-time hobby for 2023, lol.
Just FYI, the mounting holes lined up for me so it was an easy replacement. But that was on a DB1 mount. Anyway, also, if i could ask a favor when you get yours, I did not use their App to Initially setup the DB. I used their Windows Client to first connect to the DB with their UID Code that is on the DB.

1679532384872.png

Once connected you can set up the WiFi connection to your network, also this is the Client you will use for settings on the CAM.

My request is, I found with both of my DBs (POE & WiFi), by not setting them up through their App I have a Diagnostic Log that gives me a Huge amount of Info on the CAM.
Just Enter a Browsing Location and Export a Text File. I have been told by everyone that used their App to Setup their DB they do not have this Option. Wanted to see if this is true when
you get yours. All I did was use the Ethernet Port on the DB to connect an ethernet cable to my Laptop running their Windows Client to Setup the DBs.

1679532873424.png

Here is some of the Info it gives, obviously it is a great troubleshooting tool for engineers. (As you can see It tries to contact ReoLink which I blocked the IP/URL in my Router)
Unfortunately Google IP changes each time I run the Diag. Log.
1679533277057.png

Here is more Info:
1679533840602.png

Thanks

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll look for the log option when I get around to installing it, maybe this weekend... The first one looks like it's mostly some network testing. The second, a Linux boot log, might be available in the file system as /varl/log/syslog or similar, if you can get SSH access. Maybe a true LInux admin could glean more. I mostly just want to see pictures :).

Last edited:

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
@David L, I've got the Reolink Wi-Fi doorbell set up. WAY more capable and flexible than the Hikvision.

I did the setup entirely from the web UI, where I did not see a Diagnostics Log export option. Installed the Windows client, which looks very similar to the web UI, and also has no Diagnostics export:

Reolink.png

Are you using beta firmware? I'm on stock v3.0.0.1459_22102806. I'm uninstalling the Windows client since it doesn't seem to offer anything over the web UI.

I'm impressed with how far I've gotten without any Reolink registration. It would be nice to have two-way audio from my cell phone, so if that requires an account and Internet access, I may allow that. I must say, my trust level is higher with a company that doesn't force you to register the device to their web site. The Hikvision will go back in "Active" status; I don't know if anyone else can use it (I did delete the device from my cell phone) or if it must go back to the manufacturer.

I may create a Reolink "setup experience" post later...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@David L, I've got the Reolink Wi-Fi doorbell set up. WAY more capable and flexible than the Hikvision.

I did the setup entirely from the web UI, where I did not see a Diagnostics Log export option. Installed the Windows client, which looks very similar to the web UI, and also has no Diagnostics export:

View attachment 157986

Are you using beta firmware? I'm on stock v3.0.0.1459_22102806. I'm uninstalling the Windows client since it doesn't seem to offer anything over the web UI.

I'm impressed with how far I've gotten without any Reolink registration. It would be nice to have two-way audio from my cell phone, so if that requires an account and Internet access, I may allow that. I must say, my trust level is higher with a company that doesn't force you to register the device to their web site. The Hikvision will go back in "Active" status; I don't know if anyone else can use it (I did delete the device from my cell phone) or if it must go back to the manufacturer.

I may create a Reolink "setup experience" post later...
Yeah, it is almost perfect. Here is what I see missing that I would like to see. iFrames, Bitrate (not just Max setting), WDR or BLC.

Today is a cloudy day but on sunny days the background is washed out, also noticed without WDR our porch is darker too:
1679865679344.png

I have been able to adjust the brightness where I do capture people within our porch on a sunny day. Cloudy days and night time no problem.
I am with you, love that we do not have to register this DB with their cloud during Initial setup. That was a pain with Hik. DB as well as other DBs out there.

This is my info on the WiFi DB:
1679866199261.png

So since you did not use the App, not sure why I have the Diag. option. I bought the POE version directly from ReoLink and my WiFi version from Amazon.